Thread: Riding Gear...

Question Riding Gear...

Don't have a lot of experience at this but been kicking around on borrowed ATVs off and on for a while and buying my own this spring.

What are you wearing for gear? The fancy looking motocross stuff seems ill fit for Alaska where we are in mud and crossing running water on a regular basis.

I have worn combinations of hip boots, waders, and HH impertech and have yet to find the right pants / boots set up. I want to be waterproof from the waist down, yet not have water run down the hip boots, I want boots I can actually walk / hike / work / hunt in yet still have dry feet.

I found these, they are close to what I think would work...
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...V-For-Men.html

Anything better out there? What are you guys using?

Thanks!

sportsmanswarehouse has danner pronghorns on sale right now very rugged boot. water proof and with the right pants and boot gaters my feet stay dry all day long out riding

What we wear largely depends on where we're riding but when we know we're going to be in the swampy stuff or when Jim Creek is very wet, we wear fishing bibs and rain coats. If it's just going to be moderately wet, like the occasional puddle, rain pants and Muck Boots work great. Hot/Dry conditions we tend to wear quick drying synthetics to wick off the sweat. We rarely wear any specialty motocross gear for riding ATV's. The one thing I don't want to have to do is crawl through every wet area with my feet on my fenders trying not to get wet. Bombing through the puddles is so much more fun!

The two things that never change for me is I always wear my Tek Vest and helmet, every ride, rain or shine.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    What we wear largely depends on where we're riding but when we know we're going to be in the swampy stuff or when Jim Creek is very wet, we wear fishing bibs and rain coats. If it's just going to be moderately wet, like the occasional puddle, rain pants and Muck Boots work great. Hot/Dry conditions we tend to wear quick drying synthetics to wick off the sweat. We rarely wear any specialty motocross gear for riding ATV's. The one thing I don't want to have to do is crawl through every wet area with my feet on my fenders trying not to get wet. Bombing through the puddles is so much more fun!

The two things that never change for me is I always wear my Tek Vest and helmet, every ride, rain or shine.
    I googled the Tek Vest.. Wow.. Those are not cheap.... Anything similar that might work as well?

I happened to find a pair of Helly Hansen bibs designed for sailing at a heck of a discount. So far I have worn them out in the snow and they act like Gortex, but a little tougher and thicker. Wouldn't want to hike around in them, but I think they will be perfect for ATV use.... Combine these with something like the Danner Pronghorns mentioned above and a pair of gaiters and I think I may have found my answer! : )

Quote Originally Posted by chasing View Post
    I googled the Tek Vest.. Wow.. Those are not cheap.... Anything similar that might work as well?
    What'd it say they cost? I think I picked mine up for $99 at AMDS. I got the BRP version, not the Klim. The price on the Klim's never comes down much.

Another option is the SixSixOne Coresaver: $130.00 http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/p...roducts_id=732
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    What'd it say they cost? I think I picked mine up for $99 at AMDS. I got the BRP version, not the Klim. The price on the Klim's never comes down much.

Another option is the SixSixOne Coresaver: $130.00 http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/p...roducts_id=732
    Must have seen the wrong ones...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    sportsmanswarehouse has danner pronghorns on sale right now very rugged boot. water proof and with the right pants and boot gaters my feet stay dry all day long out riding
    i wear these boots with a arcterx gortx bib... if the water is so deep i need hip boots i am pulling my toes up some any way.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here