Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Ride - This Saturday January 13th!

Default Forum Ride - This Saturday January 13th!

Anyone up for scheduling a Forum Ride sometime in Jan? That glacier ride that AKmud posted sounds like fun!

Default Count me in!

I'd be up for one! I have Sat, Sun, Mondays off so just say when.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Date?

How about the 13th or 14th of Jan. The 15th is Martin Luther King Day.

Chris from Alaska Snow Safaris posted this on SnoWest's forum yesterday.
    "Placer is better now. The warm wet weather at sea level helped set things up. If you can see, you can probably make it to the glaciers. We will be working on establishing a general route on Sunday and Monday. I will update as the trail gets in. We did get reports of a couple guys making it to the Spencer Glacier a few day's ago."

It looks like we have 3 or 4 sledders interested from another forum. I have 3 maybe 4 counting myself.

Where are you guys planning to go on the forum ride??

Thumbs up Skookum Glacier

I'm hoping AKmud is still up to taking us up the Placer to Skookum Glacier. Never been there so hopefully he'll chime in!

Thumbs up Placer

Sounds good, I'd like to get some more photos of the ice cave. We should figure out a way to carpool as many together as we can. The parking lot is pretty small.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default sweeet

Id like to go if thats ok. let me know.
    2007 Skidoo Summit 550f 136x16

Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

The more, the merrier 550! I'll be coming in from the Valley and have a two place 8' trailer (I may see if I can borrow a 10'). If anyone wants to hook up to ride together just shoot me a message.
    AKmud

Thumbs up last year

We took that trip up to Spencer and skookum Glaciers, What a fun trip.
    I would be interested in the trip also. I will have several with me from the Kenai peninsula if you get a date shored up.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Saturday 1/13

Lets nail it down! Sounds like we could have a good group of folks. As for what time....... If we plan to be at the parking lot right at daylight we could get some good riding in. What time is it getting light now anyway?...I haven't been paying attention.
    AKmud

Default 10 am

It looks like there is plenty of light at 10am. I only have a 2 place trailer (with 2 sleds) but I have a crew cab pickup and I live in South Anchorage.

i can borrow a 3place trailer. let me know the dates. im open for anyday and time.
    2007 Skidoo Summit 550f 136x16

Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Default Riding

Hey there... I am kinda lonely with no people to ride with, can I tag along if I end up with a free day when you guys go? I only put an emabrassing 275 miles on last year, and have not gone yet this year cause I left all my riding buddies back in Wyoming.

Thumbs up

Everyone is welcome! Tentative date is for a week from saturday (1/13/07). As we get closer we will have to figure out some carpooling options. I'd say we plan to meet at Placer around 0900 if that works for everyone?
    AKmud

Default forum ride

what kind of experience in riding this area? Ok for "moderate" beginners? I have a 01 Skidoo summit 700 to ride. Let me know if it would be possible, dont want drag down the better riders... :-) but i enjoy new challenges too...
    <*)))><

Thumbs up Easy riding

There are some commercial operators that take first time snowmachiners into the Spencer and Skookum glaciers. Their are good trails and easy riding for any level. you can easily make it to both glaciers. The only problem we had last year, was watching for the open creeks that flow towards Placer river from Skookum area. you just need to make sure you stay on someone elses tracks if you are unsure of your ability..
    The valley is wide and mostly flat with the Railroad running up and thru it, so if a train can make it up the valley,, your sno-go no matter the power should do just fine... We saw a group of guys riding sleds last year that dated back to the early 1970's. These guys have a hobby of rebuilding old sleds and taking them on trips to places like this. I even saw this same group riding those old 15 hp sno-go's up at Lost lake last year...
    pretty neat stuff....
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Open water

As of Jan 2, you could not get to Spencer glaciers from the west side. Lots of open water and very deep soft snow. I don't know if their is a trail next to the tracks.

Thumbs up

This trip sounds like a blast! I would like to join in. The date is perfect, I have that whole week off and would loike to go if possible. I just put my machine in the shop to warm it up so I can fix my carb probelm. I can alaways come up with a few more riders and my 2 place and my dodge can alaways fit 3 snowmachines and we like to bring a lil extra fuel to chip in!

Starting to sound like we will have a good group! Hopefully the temps will be above 0!! This should be fun. As of right now, I have an open slot on my trailer leaving from the valley if anyone needs a ride. Just let me know.
    AKmud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast