Thread: Black Rapids Area

Default Black Rapids Area

Anyone been down around the Black Rapids area lately? Was wondering about snow depth around that area. Was going to bring the wheeler down if its anything like it is up here in NP, but might just leave that at home and bring the snowshoes. Thanks in advance for any info!

I should be driving through next week, Ill take a look. If remember right that area is really wind blown most of the time. Ill let you know how is looks when I get down that way.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Just drove through there. high 30's and it looks like the famous Delta Winds struck recently. The flats around donnely dome are virtually snowless. Still snow in the Black Rapids area, but it is sparse and mainly confined to lee slopes.

Default Delta river?

How is the river ice in this area, is it crossable?

Quote Originally Posted by jdo View Post
    How is the river ice in this area, is it crossable?
    JDO, got your PM, I will answer your question here. Didn't check the ice, I was just driving through on my way back from Valdez (where they don't have to worry about a lack of snow). As far as the conditions, north of the Deltas (AKA Hoodoo Mountains) looked completely barren. Just patches here and there. As you get further south into and past the mountains the snow condition rapidly improve. If you are planning on hitting the Gulkana glacier area near Paxson there is still plenty of snow. I saw plenty of trailers at the pullouts on Monday. You can probably get a better, more specific answer on the snowmachine forum, but this is what I observed.

Angry Thanks!

Thanks for the info on the Black Rapids area. But the hunt got delayed for now. Ended up in the ER Monday morning after falling on the ice and throwing my back out. Now I can't really move and the meds they have me on there is NO way I could drive even if I wanted to. Well I guess I will just have to look forward to the day I can get back on the trail again. Until then, good luck and happy hunting to everybody that can still go! I will just have to live through everyone posts until then...