Thread: Hunting clothes

Default Hunting clothes

I'm looking to upgrade my hunting clothes from what I got now. I want to find a shirt and pants that is light weight wind resistant and quite.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm always looking too. I can't bring myself to replace my Cabelas MicroTex. I thought about trying the Sitka Ascent or Champ or other softshell type, but most of those have such short inseams and seem to be lacking in cargo pocket space.

Microtex is very good for the price when compared to the higher end stuff like Mammut and Sporthill. My Microtex hasn't let me down, but I'm also considering upgrading to the Mammut Champ pants.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Kings Mountain shadow.....look it up, this is the ultimate alaskan camo in the opinion of my hunting buddies and myself....they have a pretty good selection of what you mite need.....So far ive had it for the last 2 seasons and it is pretty tough stuff.....really affordable too....they also have 3 different patterns.....tell ya what though in the alpine country it really blends in.

Release Lake Trout

I buy Milsurp or make my own, to my needs and specs. Military stuff is cheap and durable, designed for the outdoors. Most is as light and accessoried to the hilt. Tents to storage box's'.
    Makeing stuff is fun and ultra cheap as well.

Baffin Swamp boots are great year round from Snowgos to boating.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If you can find any PolarTec Wind Pro stuff you won't regret it! It can be found in solid colors, and in camo (Browning for sure). I have found this for sale on CL more than once.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Mountain Hardwear.

I bought a pair of MH soft shell pants recently for my 2010 alpine pant. I've yet to put em' through a good mountain test but so far the fit and finish is good enough. They even have belt loops which I like alot. They also have cargo pockets with well made zippers. The inseam is generous......They were sound enough that I laid $175 down for em. With a good base layer and a wool based undergarmet I'm expecting to get a few lengthy hunts from em.

For a top.....I'm still using my base, insulator, rain coat combo for mountain hunting in SE. I've got too many combos of this to list. You get the concept.

As your seeing many manufactures have jumped on the technical layering concept.

Buying new gear sure is fun!

Default You asked, so I'm giving my advice...

Sitka ascent pants are sweet! They break the wind, have 4 way stretch, come with suspenders, life-time guarantee, look darn cool and dry faster than any material I've ever used. They're not advertised to repel water, but they do and I'm a solid witness. I've used them for nearly every hunt in AK, for the past 2 years. ...haven't found anything better. Good luck deciding!

Default kings shadow camo

i personaly thing kings mountian shadow is the perfect alaskan camo myself blends in everywhere any season,i would buy the sitka for performance my brother has used it and loves it but a little out of my budget.shadow camo is afordable.i own every thing they have exept the cotton shirts [ ive learned about cotton the hard way]i put it to the test to the only thing that faild was the 100% waterproof pants after two seasons shale tore it up.it is hard to find up here but they have a great online selection with five patterns. already have set of mountian and snow shadow but gona invest in there field shadow for upcoming waterfowl season

Default Kings Camo

Kings' have a few items marked way down. The various styles of pants on sale can be linked at: http://shop.kingsoutdoorworld.com/Pants_c_11.html

Default Soft shell...in-store... online shopping...

Fabrics: Soft shell: Breathability and stretch comfort are 2 of the best features of most soft shell fabrics. Dry fast too. Tend to be spendy, especially if they shed water. Best deals are online - if you can find your size. Limited selections in camo, but for some-performance matters more.

Features: Belt loops and cargo pockets ("cargo" = roomy, my gloves fit and stay in) for me too. Few soft shell pants have both. C&B mentioned suspenders - which can improve ventilation /cooling vs a belt.

Just go look: For those stuck in the Anchorage area , it's easier sometimes to just shop a couple or 3 best stores and see what they have. Barney's and AMH stay on the leading edge, but new/best stuff is spendy. Sportsmans in Wasilla is less crowded and most of the staff has been well-informed in my visits. In-store shopping anywhere is simple. I'd always rather try stuff on right then and there and be done with it.
    Good luck.

If you are ok w/ spending some money then the Westcomb's are great! I have destroyed every piece of sitka gear I have owned in less than one season with the exception of a sitka ascent jacket. The crotch blew out in the first couple trips on my ascent pants.

Thumbs up

Rivers West L.A.W. coat, cabelas worsterlon II windshear shirt, cabelas legacy fleece dry plus pants...pretty much all indestructable lightweight waterproof and quiet.

Default The new Sitka Gear seems better to me...

Some Sitka Gear might be pretty good nowadays. Those who’ve been in the field with SG know best, but I know someone with the new 90% Jacket and looked it over carefully yesterday. It looks well made using softshell technology similar to other good outdoor brands. I recall several years ago, Barney's Sports Chalet seemed to back off on SitkaGear (SG). Store staff didn't say much. "Problems with pants" was as close to an explanation as I ever heard. Inventory dwindled.

Barney's seems a sort of a bellwether for hunt gear to me. A small shop with limited inventory space, they seem to be very selective about what takes up space in there: a lot of "tried and true" gear with feedback coming from owner/staff and guides/other loyal customers. The year of SG's contract with Cabela's, quality dropped, correlating I thought with a new production contract/manufacturer to handle their ramped up production needs. There were problems. Deliveries were late. Quality suffered. I don't have inside information of any kind, but when Barney's backed off, many others were also losing interest.

Maybe that’s changing. SG, to its credit, seems to evolve in their materials and assembly. Barneys Sports Chalet is chock full of SG stuff now and though reviews from those who work their gear hard are still mixed, SG now seems tough enough. Still overrated as raingear maybe, but breathing, stretching and holding up better than in years past. Compared to the best softshells at say, AMH, the 90% now seems in the same league. The Nimbus, maybe not.

The leading edge of soft shells or other technology for outwear seems more often in mountaineering gear (MG) to me. The best materials in MG (see post #7 in: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=51070) appear in MG well ahead of most other gear (http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/...18&d=1&c=0&s=0). It's spendy, but performs well. Maybe that market is willing to pay more. Smaller companies like SG, might have a bigger challenge finding the right performance-price points to attract enough buyers yet pay their costs. The company's philosophy though seems sound. Their staff (like Barney's) is involved in high activity type hunting (vs glassing game from the truck) and applies experiences (in the field and in their business) to its product. If SG survives, there still might be hope.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5779
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48727
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=53399
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=61824

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I buy Milsurp or make my own, to my needs and specs. Military stuff is cheap and durable, designed for the outdoors. Most is as light and accessoried to the hilt. Tents to storage box's'.
    Makeing stuff is fun and ultra cheap as well.

Baffin Swamp boots are great year round from Snowgos to boating.
    Military surplus. Water resistant, insulated boots in the summer and fall, bunnies in the winter and spring. Great camo coveralls that hold up forever. Field jackets that are warm and water resistant when treated with camp dry. Excellent head gear and gloves. And where there is not surplus (U.S. surplus, that is) there is wool for sale on e-bay. All proven, relatively cheap, quality, and almost all of it American made. Many sportsmen did very well with surplus gear for the better part of 60 years. None of it very pretty, but the animals do not seem to mind. What I don't like about any old military stuff I just modify, which I find rewarding and fun.

Of course, if you WANT to spend all that money...