Thread: Hot 45 Colt loads

Default Hot 45 Colt loads

I have a SS Puma 92 in 45 Colt that has been sitting in the cabinet pretty much getting ignored.

Winter in Iowa has been long and hard this go around. We are nearing 60 inches of snow since Dec 1. The only thing left to hunt is coyotes but once their breeding season is over they hole up for a while and thats happening now. I have spent the winter nights getting caught up on all of my reloading and have cleaned each of my guns a couple of times.

Last night I got the Puma out and cleaned it and started pondering loading for it. I know some of you guys (Snyd and others) have rifles that shoot 45 Colt ammo. What powder/bullet combinations work well. Word has it that Asian wild boars are now roaming most of Missouri and have even made their way into southern Iowa. I've never shot one before but would imagine that 400 lbs of tusked pork chops would require a little more thump than a deer load. I would like to know what heavy hunting loads you guys suggest.

I have read Paco Kelly's article but he is a paid writer and he kills mostly paper targets. I am more interested in proven thick skinned game loads.

One more thing and then I'll shut up. Whats the difference between 45 Colt dies and 45 Colt Cowboy dies? Some manufactures list both!

I've been loading and shooting various 454 and 45 Colt loads in mine. For 45 Colt, the same loads I shoot in my revolvers. 255gr and 8-9gr Unique for plinkin. Or 335-350 gr over H110 Ruger only loads. You need to make sure the loads will cycle. Bullet profile and OAL are key. A typical WFN or LFN work fine in mine. But, I do have a 355gr custom mould and the bullet has an 80% uber wide metplat. It won't feed. But, a 360gr Cast Performance WFN will. Different profile. Granted, this is in my 454 with 454 brass but the same holds true for the 45 Colt guns.

Get your hands on some 300-335 gr boolits, load em up with H110, W296 or other comparable powder for "Ruger Only" loads, mess with the OAL so they feed and go bring home some bacon!

EDIT: Do you cast? The Lyman 325gr mould with the double crimp grooves should be a good one. I'll prolly get one this spring.

Default 330's

I have a Brooks Tru Bore mould that throws 330 grains - it has a large meplat - nice looking boolit - mixed up with wheel weights and a handfull of Linotype - they are hard, but I have yet to shoot a critter with them.

For my bear loads I am using W296/H110 - would have to look in the book for how many grains. I don't have a chrony so not sure how fast they are moving - but the loads "feel" similiar to the Buffalo Bores that claimed to move out a 1450fps - perhaps slightly less.

I am also getting some pretty stout loads with Tite Group and Trail Boss - not 1400fps - but prolly in the 1150-1250 range and they are cheaper to shoot too.....specially if I use a 250 grain boolit in traditional Colt design (Brooks mould too - but this one throws 3 boolitz each drop!!!!).

The more you shoot em the better you get with them. The first couple turns found complete barns to be safe from me - - not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a Brooks Tru Bore mould that throws 330 grains - it has a large meplat - nice looking boolit - mixed up with wheel weights and a handfull of Linotype - they are hard, but I have yet to shoot a critter with them.

For my bear loads I am using W296/H110 - would have to look in the book for how many grains. I don't have a chrony so not sure how fast they are moving - but the loads "feel" similiar to the Buffalo Bores that claimed to move out a 1450fps - perhaps slightly less.

I am also getting some pretty stout loads with Tite Group and Trail Boss - not 1400fps - but prolly in the 1150-1250 range and they are cheaper to shoot too.....specially if I use a 250 grain boolit in traditional Colt design (Brooks mould too - but this one throws 3 boolitz each drop!!!!).

The more you shoot em the better you get with them. The first couple turns found complete barns to be safe from me - - not so much now.
    Thanks guys! I think I'll look at moulds...maybe a couple of them. I have a five gallon bucket full of wheel weights and a whole bunch of high tin content fluxed solder that the phone company pitched because of a rule change concerning lead fumes in manholes.

I still have my lube sizer and a bunch of Havalena(?) lube. I think I'll get a mould for a heavy gas checked round and a mould for a plinker round. I think the last time I did any moulding and lube sizing was 20 years ago. I got a shock when I looked at the price of gas checks!

I see that the Lee moulds are a whole lot cheaper than the others. Is the price a buyer beware indicator or are they a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I see that the Lee moulds are a whole lot cheaper than the others. Is the price a buyer beware indicator or are they a good deal!
    I've got a bunch of them, along with the usual array of brands in steel molds. If you take care of the LEES and don't abuse them, they're fine. Maybe because I'm used to steel, I tend to "baby" them, so I've never had any trouble. I don't hesitate to buy them for trials with new weights/styles/calibers. However, I will say this: If I find a combo I really like, sooner or later I go shopping to replace the original LEE that started the like-fest. No reason performance-wise, but I just feel better in the end with steel. Nonsense, I know.

I have not cast in over 20 years but I remember Lee molds tended to cast smaller diameters compared to what they said where the other brands made of steel did not. Worked fine if you planed for that up front, may not be the same now though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona