Thread: Missing Something ?

Default Missing Something ?

Man, am I missing something, I'm trying my first rounds,(no haven't got together with an experienced guy yet to watch, can't wait that long) and in the Rockchucker kit there seems to be such a low level of instruction I am amazed,

For example, pick up the hand primer and there is nothing on it, look in the Speer book, basics on primer cleanliness and safety, nothing on this tool so I have to look it over and figure out the pin that pushes primer in is in a separate bag, have to basically guess which of two available is for large rifle primers and which side is up on the pin? Set ten thinking I am supposed to cleaning out these pockets right ,nothing in the book on that, I had read it else where about the auto machine working well on that job, am I supposed to ahve a tool to do that in this box I don't unless it is supposed to be the neck brush ??

I figured out the hand primer tool but am amazed they let people try to figure that out without detailed instruction?

Am I missing an instruction book or something?

Here's the Pertinent question for you guys, is there a source online that goes through stuff like that in detail, things like using a full length die to only neck size, do you have to adjust the primer remover pin to do that if you back the die up to not full length size, etc. ??

I am used to understanding completely how a tool works and I am finding myself having to figure this stuff out. almost by guessing and I am above average probably at machinist thinking.

Another example is the powder measure, extremely basic instruction on how to adjust that to release the same exact measure for your entire lot. Hard to grasp that yet so I'm using the scale and funnel for everything tonight on my first few rounds. I think I get it but it doesn't seem as precise as it should be.

Must be detailed diagram of these high end tools somewhere right?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Man, am I missing something, I'm trying my first rounds,(no haven't got together with an experienced guy yet to watch, can't wait that long) and in the Rockchucker kit there seems to be such a low level of instruction I am amazed.

. . . am I supposed to ahve a tool to do that in this box I don't unless it is supposed to be the neck brush ??
    Most neck brushes have a primer brush on them, usually on the back but not always. A Q-tip works fine most of the time.

I figured out the hand primer tool but am amazed they let people try to figure that out without detailed instruction?

Am I missing an instruction book or something?
    Lee is the only outfit that is good about including instructions. I think the others want you to buy books from them or maybe they don't thing guys read instruction anyway. Hang in there you are just a little overwhelmed at all the new stuff at once. Having never watched it in use you are in reverse engineering mode now but soon it will all come tougher and you will be an old pro with your toys.

Here's the Pertinent question for you guys, is there a source online that goes through stuff like that in detail, things like using a full length die to only neck size, do you have to adjust the primer remover pin to do that if you back the die up to not full length size, etc. ??

I don’t know of an online source but you should pick up a copy of ABCs or Reloading it has most of that stuff in it.

I am used to understanding completely how a tool works and I am finding myself having to figure this stuff out. almost by guessing and I am above average probably at machinist thinking.
    Like anything there is more to it than you first think but just keep working one thing at a time.
    Another example is the powder measure, extremely basic instruction on how to adjust that to release the same exact measure for your entire lot. Hard to grasp that yet so I'm using the scale and funnel for everything tonight on my first few rounds. I think I get it but it doesn't seem as precise as it should be.
    The type of powder and how you work the handle can both affect the consistency of the measure. Stick powder is the hardest to through consistently and ball or flake do much better. I turn the handle up and shake the thing then turn it down to dump the charge, this helps it settle the same in the chamber each time so is more consistent. Always do it the same way and you will be able to get good consistent charges. Some guys through a light charge from the measure on the scale then add to it with a scoop or spoon right on the scale to get the exact charge every time. I am not that picky for most loads, +/- .25 grain or so is usually fine with me.

Must be detailed diagram of these high end tools somewhere right?
    I’m sure there is but I have never seen them. I grew up around it and never had to learn more than one new tool at a time as they came out so never bothered looking. Just keep working one problem at a time as they come up. Don’t look at all the stuff you still need to figure out and get frustrated, concentrate on where you are and how far you have come. Put one foot in front of the other and soon you will be shocked how far you have come. I am happy to (and others I’m sure) walk you through it step by step as you go and befor long you will be helping other reloaders with their questions.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default reloading on the rock

Sounds like your taking the steps needed to get comfortable with your tools.
    I found the powder thrower can get close but I like to weigh every round. I set mine to throw a little and use a trickler to finish. Not near as fast as throwing them right into the case but dose OK for me.

Many folks throw their charges while weighing every so often for a check.
    If that is your goal make sure you have a good thrower and become very familiar with it. Your movement and timing can be controlled while throwing the charge for better consistency. You miight also consider using the ball or short grained powders as they are designed for better automated metering.

I don't recall if any of the reloading manuals cover everything completely but a great number of them have some pretty good instructions.

I am basking in the liquid sunshine on the rock as your signature indicates and if true would be happy to get a cup of coffe or something and share what I know on the subject. I am not nearly as experienced as many here but have managed to put a few of my own loads down range (safely) with reasonable accuracy.
    My reloading setup has been taken down for a complete rebuild so until that's complete I can't show you how I do it with my equipment. I'll probably be back up in a month or so.
    I have peice meal'd my setup but it get's the job done.

As indicated earlier, a slow and organized process will have good results.
    Keep a good attitude and initial expectations reasonable and the rest will follow.

RCBS is one of the best in the business and so you probably have most of the tools necessary for great success.

What cartridg are you loading?

Rich

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

K rain.. i went to the RCBS web site and downloaded PDF files for all my stuff. big deal on the hand primer.. flat side up not the beveled...

there a manuels for all of it. avalible
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think one of the best bangs for your bucks is 'Modern Reloading - Second Edition' by Richard Lee. Midway has it for $14. I'm not sure if it will answer all your questions but in my opinion, it is well worth the $14. I keep all my reloading manuals even after picking up the newest edition and mine date back to the early 70s or maybe late 60s. I just recently purchased Lee's manual and I'm really impressed with the amount of info it holds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct..._campaign=9315
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default getting started

I like the lyman manual for the bread and butter fundamentals. there is a website called ultimatereloader.com to help with visualizing things.

Default Thanks I'll check these tips out

Thanks you guys, one of the coolest things about handloading is how much everybody wants to help out the new guy,

I did find out about the "flat side up" after figuring otherwise and noticing the first few had an slight indentation mark from the beveled side of pin being up and that didn't look right. On hand priming every book says something about it "feeling right" as far as being seated, other than comparing to some factory ammo I have for looking right (which they do) I wonder if you can seat too hard with that hand tool. read something about the primer should look a bit "inset" for lack of a better description, mine seem exactly flush but felt good and look good.

Reason I ask is that I forgot about cleaning the pockets for first ten and tho is only once fired brass I wonder if they are not going to make good contact unless I absolutely clean the pocket first everytime. Again they felt good and solid, are these going to ok?

Thanks again for ability to ask the little questions and I will look these up I have the Speer book and the Hornady book which is a little better for detail. Keep hearing about the ABC's so will find that as well

Default Primer question

I'm loading for 270 WSM by the way,

which brings to mind another strange thing to ask, in the Speer book, came with the RCBS kit and I have some Speer bullets as well, it lists the CCI 200 as the primer for the WSM. Every other book I have looked at in stores for comparison and what primers to buy they list some form of Large Rifle Magnum as the primer. One of the forum guys explained earlier that the magnum as in CCI 250 vs the CCI 200 is better also for wet/cold weather which works for Kodiak. I did buy 500 CCI 200's but have all other either 250's or Rem 91/2's as all the other books recommended that. Yet as I start on the Speer info I can't get by that "only one primer mentioned as CCI 200.

So these will work for a WSM, it's in the book(?) tho everyone else says go large rifle magnum (?)

I''m starting with the 250's but is hard to go against the Speer book for their bullets.....

Default Magnum primers for WSM

I'm loading for 270 WSM by the way,
    So these will work for a WSM, it's in the book(?) tho everyone else says go large rifle magnum (?)

I''m starting with the 250's but is hard to go against the Speer book for their bullets.....
    Been using magnum primers for my WSM (325) but have found other people have had good results (lower velocity variations among loads) using the non-magnum primers in WSM's (210, WLR, 210 etc...). Haven't tried them yet though.
    They are not as hot and so will produce different pressures.

The powder column in the WSM cartridges is more concentrated around the flash hole than in traditional magnum cartridges. This precludes the need for a magnum flash for adequate ignition.

You can see most of your reloading stuff in action on Youtube viedoes. I have watched everything from case anealing to trimming cases. And most you can see different brands in action before you buy. I have been loading about 35 years and still look at these videos and pick up pointers from time to time.