Thread: Question about dies

Default Question about dies

Will dies for a 338-06 A-Square Ackley Improved 40` be the same as a 338-06 AI 40`?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Well I looked it up and it's something of a conundrum so I can't tell for sure even with all my books. They are definitely separate rounds 338-06 is not the same as 338-06 A-Square but they are so close that when you add in the Ackley Improved (AI) chamber it gets interesting. Unless someone chimes that’s in the know firsthand the best bet is going to be to call the die maker and ask them.

They are so close that they could be the same or like .30 Mauser and 7.62X25 where the Mauser dies can load both in a pinch but the 7.62X25 dies won’t load the Mauser.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A-Square was the first to submit the 338-06 to SAAMI for standardization, so the basic 30-06 necked up to .338 to make what most know as a .338-06 is the same as the .338-06 A-Square.

When it comes to Ackley improving, I'd suggest that as Mr. Ackley passed some years before A-Square standardized the cartridge, a 338-06 AI A-Square would be the same however, a lot of the "standard" Ackley Improved cartridges are anything but standard. If you don't know the gunsmith, or he no longer has the reamer the only way to know for certain is the cast the chamber and take measurements.

If you're looking for dies, all you have to do is send a few pieces of once-fired brass to the die-maker and they'll make a set of dies that you can be certain will fit your rifle.

Well it sounds like the a-square should be the same as standard anyway minus the AI. I'm going to go to a gun show next Sunday, so I'm gonna look for dies there before I buy new. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Well it sounds like the a-square should be the same as standard
    Not according to the measurements on the drawings, they are slightly different in the shoulder and that's your headspace reference. But as I understand AI the shoulder is what gets most of the improvements so they could be the same in AI.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The 338-06 A Square is the SAAMI official 338-06 cartridge. It is also true to the original 17 1/2 degree shoulder of the -06 case. In other words it is the official 338-06. There isn't an official 338-06 A Square AI,by name, but the original 338-06, Ackley Improved (correctly) is the one and only regardless of name. However they are all wildcats and they are all made by gunsmiths that may or may not maintain exactly correct chamber dimensions. The main problem with AIing is that without setting the barrel back there will be a slight excess of headspace, a few thousandths". I have owned several AI cartridges, 338's included and found them to vary slightly in headspace. Some obviously excessive and required careful and resourceful case forming technique. A good chamber case with Cerrosafe will enable you to measure and see the chamber dimensions and appearance.

A correctly made AI chamber will safely fire 338-06 ammo and fire form it nicely. The advantage of the Ackley version. I will say that any dies stamped 338-06 AI 40 degree will load all 338-06 AI cases quite nicely.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I will say that any dies stamped 338-06 AI 40 degree will load all 338-06 AI cases quite nicely.
    Thanks for clearing that up Murphy. Could the same be said about 338-06 A-square loading any 338-06? Also, if you would, what is your opinion good or bad about going AI in the 338-06?