Thread: My 375 ruger hawkeye

Default My 375 ruger hawkeye

Scope came in today, but no rings so I mounted it up with the ruger rings and to my mind, this seems to be made perfect for the game fields of Africa and can not wait till I have the opportunity to chase an Eland with it next may.

Currently loaded some 260 accubonds behind 75 of re15...Hoping to get good accuracy and 2800 FPS. Also going to load up some 300 grain Partitions and see how those shoot. Hoping to get out and do some shooting this coming week....Then go chase a wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Graet rifle and scope package!

Here is mine - dressed in a Plain Jane Ruger Synthetic stock I purchased from Brownells.......

I love eland!!!! It will do the trick for sure! Enjoy!!!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Currently loaded some 260 accubonds behind 75 of re15...Hoping to get good accuracy and 2800 FPS. Also going to load up some 300 grain Partitions and see how those shoot. Hoping to get out and do some shooting this coming week....Then go chase a wolf
    Away from my data at the moment but your 23" tube will run faster than 2800fps with a 260 Accubond over 75gr of RL-15.

I've also loaded the 300gr Partition with 9.5gr more RL-19 than RL-15 in the 300gr bullet with good case fill and identical velocity.

More recently I've developed a 300gr TSX with RL-17 and it's the best shooter to date.

Thumbs up 375 Ruger AK

In my 375 Ruger AK Reloader 15 is the best powder I have used so Far:

260gr Accubond or Part
    Reloader 15 @ 76.0

270gr Horandy SP
    RL 15 @ 75.0

300gr Hornady RN DGX
    RL 15 @ 71.0

Fed 215GM primers

I put a Leupold 1.5x5 scope in Warne QR rings on it.

Nice looking rifles, guys. I have an African version on its way back to me form the smith. I had him bed it in that nice walnut stock and put a decellerator pad on it. My black Alskan model sports an OD McMillam stock.

I plan to take the African to the dark continent this summer, mainly for plains game and as a back-up rifle for the 416 Murphy, Dakota 76. I may take a buffalo with the Ruger, it is fully capable.

I think the ballistics of the 375 Ruger are spot on for a general duty dangerous game rifle. The cartridge has more than enough capacity to achieve its market ballistics at less than max pressure. That is a good thing. The 416 Remington is an example of a well designed cartridge that is over marketed ballistically. It must run at max pressure to reach its legendary 400 grains at 2400 fps. This has caused problems when used in warmer climates. We should see no such problems with this Ruger cartridge though I wish Hornady would stop using the spherical propellant they are using in their factory ammo. Further, for the hand loader, the case capacity and bore size is such that we have several powders that will perform well and deliver the 300 grains at 2600+ fps from the 23" barreled African and approach that 2600 from the 20" gun. Powders such as RL-15, RL-17, H4350, Vihta N150 and N550 all have made good loads for me and there are many others that work well. We haven't had such a good round to hand load for sometime. I have complained about the neck length of the 375 Rugerbut by moving that shoulder up alittle we got case capacity and like the 300 Winchester cartridge, that capacity translates into lower pressures on warm hunting days. A real bonus when the chips are down. A fine cartridge this 375 Ruger......move over Holland & Holland!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I am really going to work hard to develop a good accurate load with 300 grain nosler partitions. Inside of 300 yards, I would feel better suited on Dangerous Game and Large animals (Eland, Moose) with that bullet at about 2625 FPS rather than the 270 Hornady at 2800. The drop difference is minimal, and the extra sectional density would be an added bonus.

P.S....Next May's scheduled Africa trip got moved up due to a cancellation, going to get to chase Eland this September 19th-29th.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT