Thread: Best lightweight scope.

Default Best lightweight scope.

My dad is getting ready to purchase an ultra lightweight rifle for hunting in the mountains. This will help keep weight down when packing in. It sort of defeats the purpose to then turn around and put a big heavy scope on it. So I thought I would ask what is the best lightweight scope on the market. I guess the question is, do they even make a lightweight scope.

Thank for the help.

Leupold 6x36.

Thanks for the suggestion matt. I guess I should have been more explicit. I think my dad will probably want a variable although, a fixed mixed might be worth if he can save substantial weight.

Leupold 2.5-8 B&C. In my opinion the best combination of optics, ruggedness, lightweight, and eye relief. I'm sure others with have opinions. This is what I chose to put on my custom mountain rifle.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

My mountain rifle is not a custom (well, it's a Remington "Custom Shop") but it wears the same Talley Lightweight mounts and a Leupold 2.5-8x B&C.

Money was not a consideration for my choice either. I looked at Swarovski and others, but in my research I concluded the 2.5-8 B&C was best for that particular use. Not that there are not better scopes out there for other specific purposes, obviously.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Leupold 3x9 ultralight with talley ultralight rings is what I use. Under 11 ounces for the whole setup.

I just got a ...... you guessed it Leupy 2.5-8 B&C, mouted w/ the same talley rings....

They have another slightly smaller, slightly lighter scope that a buddy has and likes, but the weight savings is only like an ounce and I think the quality of the VXIII 2.5-8 and the larger objective makes it worth the little bit of "extra" heft.

Thanks for all the replies. I be sure to pass on the advice. Any other suggestions?

Another vote for the Leupold VX3 in 2.5-8. That's what's going on my mountain rifle.

Brett

Leupold 4x in fixed

Leupold VX2 2x7 in variable

The compact leupold variables are lighter, but you compromise eye relief and view. They're a bit more sensitive to eye positioning. Not ideal if you have to lay down a quick shot, but fine for a stalk and snipe.

If you think you need more than 4x for any shot on game within reasonable range, you don't.

Talley Lightweights and VXIII 2.5-8x36 for me also on my 6lb Kimber. Perfect fit.

Thanks for all the input. I think my dad's getting ready to pull the trigger on the rifle so he'll be shopping for a scope here shortly.

I've used the 2.5-8x and like it quite a bit, however when I put my lightweight together I went to a 4x. A little lighter, (arguably) a little more robust, and plenty of magnification for any reasonable distance shooting. I do like the thought of just putting the critter in the crosshair and shooting.

My 2.5-8x is a bit of a "turkey necker"- as I change power the eye relief changes slightly and I have to change cheek weld positions. Not a huge deal but as a habitual stock crawler I don't like getting any closer to the eyepiece than I gotta on a lightweight fire breather...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've used the 2.5-8x and like it quite a bit, however when I put my lightweight together I went to a 4x. A little lighter, (arguably) a little more robust, and plenty of magnification for any reasonable distance shooting. I do like the thought of just putting the critter in the crosshair and shooting.

My 2.5-8x is a bit of a "turkey necker"- as I change power the eye relief changes slightly and I have to change cheek weld positions. Not a huge deal but as a habitual stock crawler I don't like getting any closer to the eyepiece than I gotta on a lightweight fire breather...
    This is exactly why my 270 wears the leupy and my 325 has a zeis, w/ the zeis it is 4" of eye relief at all powers

Interesting, I don't have that issue with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Interesting, I don't have that issue with mine.
    I don't have the issue with my 3.5-10x either.

Its not a huge amount of change- but enough to make you want to move your head just a bit. I've currently go it on a very nice .22LR bolt gun and I don't mind it at all.

I've been leery of being whacked in the eye since another .300 left its impression in the middle of my right eyebrow. Once bitten..twice shy!