Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requirements For My Rifle Build

Default Requirements For My Rifle Build

I am not a bench man, shoot paper only to get my rifles ready for hunting as I check out my load work. I am a hunter and I wanted a good looking medium bore rifle, chambered in a cartridge that has a lot of authority, yet, would also allow me to build a rifle dedicated to the hunt. I don't want a long heavy scope. I know most shots in the field will be under 400yds most of the time and maybe on occasion at 600yds.

I like to get close but sometimes the terrian won't allow an approach and I might have to take a 500yds shot or maybe a 600yd shot (I will practice at 400, 500 and 600 before every hunting season). I feel a varible in the power range from 2-10 or 3-9 is enough. In fact when I get to Africa again (Tanzania) if things shake out and also, if I get to go to Alaska in 2011, I will want lots of eye relief and the ability to have quick acquisition of my target, so the reticle is important to me as well, that is why I chose the # 4 reticle.

I like to spot and stalk in the mountains so I wanted a rifle that had lots of punch like the 340Wby to ride the wind and take any animal I am hunting with with quick results - but build one that did not weigh a ton (#2 instead of heavier barrel) making it unpleasant to carry in the field. I shot a white tail buck at 618yd shot using a VX-III 2.5-8x40mm 6 years ago out west. My left eye is 20/10 and my right eye is 20/20 and I can see very far off. I don't feel with my eyes that I need anymore than 40mm objective and the max power no more than 10 power. The most I want for minimum is nothing over 3 power, so as to meet the requirements that I have placed on my self and the hunt.

Hence the 340Wby that I had built:

340 Weatherby Magnum, German Mark V, 26" #2 Krieger Stainless barrel, McMillian stock, Picatinny base, Leupold PRW rings, Zeiss 3-9x40mm #4 reticle

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

How did you get Krieger to build you a stainless .338, #2 contour barrel? The lightest they list on their website is #5. LINK

I forgot to ask; what does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    How did you get Krieger to build you a stainless .338, #2 contour barrel? The lightest they list on their website is #5. LINK
    We took it off a new Weatherby rifle that the smith had because one of his clients bought a brand new unfired 340wby and wanted it chambered in 300Wby. The deal was so good on the new 340 that he could have it rebarreled to 300wby and spend less than buying a new Mark V. So, my smith told me he had the new unfired 340wby Stainless barrel and wanted to know if I wanted to go stainless when I had planned to go with a #2 Moly Chrome. So that is why there is a #2 Stainless Krieger on my rifle. The rifle weighs 7 1/4 pounds without scope. With scope, bases and rings it will be around 8 3/4 pounds, a good compromise in weight for carry and help reduce felt recoil.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the info. I understand my initial confusion, now, and it sounds like you probably have a Criterion Barrel:

"Krieger, of course, is known for his cut-rifled barrels, but recently formed a second company, Criterion Barrels, to supply buttoned barrels to OEMs like Weatherby."
    LINK

Another Article

Directly from Krieger:
    "Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling?
    A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public."
    LINK

I had my hopes up, for a minute. I'd really wish Krieger had changed their mind and started offering light-contour stainless barrels. I wouldn't mind buying a Criterion blank, either, if they were to become available.

You've got a good looking rifle, beartooth. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    The rifle weighs 7 1/4 pounds without scope. With scope, bases and rings it will be around 8 3/4 pounds, a good compromise in weight for carry and help reduce felt recoil.
    My .338 Edge weighs about the same, and I agree with you. I don't think I'd want it lighter. The recoil is enough as it is.

Default Kreiger???

Are you sure it is a Kreiger? I called Kreiger a couple of months ago because I wanted a #2 25 caliber SS barrel. They told me that they would not make 25 cal in that small of contour. I ended up buying a Broughton. Kreiger told me that they had a barrel "blow up" on them from a person taking a rifle bullet from his pocket (warm) and putting it a small contur barrel in minus temps (cold). The barrel split.
    I am surprised to hear that you have such a small contur from Kreiger for such a big chambering. I would surely question the smith.

Default Dan in AK....

I believe your correct. I too didnt think it was a "Kreiger".

Thanks for the info. I understand my initial confusion, now, and it sounds like you probably have a Criterion Barrel:

"Krieger, of course, is known for his cut-rifled barrels, but recently formed a second company, Criterion Barrels, to supply buttoned barrels to OEMs like Weatherby."
    LINK

Another Article

Directly from Krieger:
    "Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling?
    A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public."
    LINK

I had my hopes up, for a minute. I'd really wish Krieger had changed their mind and started offering light-contour stainless barrels. I wouldn't mind buying a Criterion blank, either, if they were to become available.

You've got a good looking rifle, beartooth. Enjoy!
    Yes it is a Criterion barrel. I am like you, in wanting them to offer light contour barrels to the public.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    Are you sure it is a Kreiger? I called Kreiger a couple of months ago because I wanted a #2 25 caliber SS barrel. They told me that they would not make 25 cal in that small of contour. I ended up buying a Broughton. Kreiger told me that they had a barrel "blow up" on them from a person taking a rifle bullet from his pocket (warm) and putting it a small contur barrel in minus temps (cold). The barrel split.
    I am surprised to hear that you have such a small contur from Kreiger for such a big chambering. I would surely question the smith.

It is a Krieger Criterion barrel.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My .338 Edge weighs about the same, and I agree with you. I don't think I'd want it lighter. The recoil is enough as it is.
    Yes, it is light enough and do not want it any lighter but it is not prohibitive to carry all day long at the weight I have it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

hap

It is a Krieger Criterion barrel.

Well, not so much... As Dan patiently explained and supplied links to, it is a Criterion barrel and Krieger just happens to own them. They are not made with the same processes, at all.

My Remingtons are not Bushmasters just because the same company owns them...

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Well, not so much... As Dan patiently explained and supplied links to, it is a Criterion barrel and Krieger just happens to own them. They are not made with the same processes, at all.

My Remingtons are not Bushmasters just because the same company owns them...
    Well that is known by most of us and I was aware of this before I had my smith use the Krieger Criterion barrel, so what was your point, out side of letting us know what you know? Not sure of your intent? Here is a quote from Krieger, "In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market." Now, it is a pretty good barrel. What was your point?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, once again, very nice rifle. Did you epoxy bed your picatinny rail base on or did you just screw it down, metal on metal? And what brand of base did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    BT, once again, very nice rifle. Did you epoxy bed your picatinny rail base on or did you just screw it down, metal on metal? And what brand of base did you get?
    We re-tapped the wholes and used bigger screws to hold the rail. Not sure on the brand, I left that up to the smith.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

hap

Well that is known by most of us and I was aware of this before I had my smith use the Krieger Criterion barrel, so what was your point, out side of letting us know what you know? Not sure of your intent? Here is a quote from Krieger, "In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market." Now, it is a pretty good barrel. What was your point?
    Sorry so slow in answering, I was out taking a ride in my Jaguar Ford F-150 2-wheel drive truck.

Sorry so slow in answering, I was out taking a ride in my Jaguar Ford F-150 2-wheel drive truck.
    You are full of such great (and informative) insight hap. Sooooo glad you joined this forum. I wish I could spew out 2nd or 3rd hand garbage like you.

BTW: that is one heck of a nice rifle! One of these days I need to buy some Zeiss optics. I had the pleasure of borrowing a buddy's scope after damaging my Leupold this last year, and REALLY liked it.

Hey Hap,

Thats a poor analogy, Ford sold off Jaguar long ago. Welcome to 2010.

Please try again, we can't wait for your response

Beartooth,

I like your rifle the way you set it up. Be sure to let us know how it shoots.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by AKcruiserfreak View Post
    You are full of such great (and informative) insight hap. Sooooo glad you joined this forum. I wish I could spew out 2nd or 3rd hand garbage like you.

BTW: that is one heck of a nice rifle! One of these days I need to buy some Zeiss optics. I had the pleasure of borrowing a buddy's scope after damaging my Leupold this last year, and REALLY liked it.
    Thanks AKcruisefreak, I own both Leupold VX-IIIs and Zeiss Conquests they are good scopes. You will really like a Zeiss if you get one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Hey Hap,

Thats a poor analogy, Ford sold off Jaguar long ago. Welcome to 2010.

Please try again, we can't wait for your response

Beartooth,

I like your rifle the way you set it up. Be sure to let us know how it shoots.

Sean
    seant, I am starting the break in of the barrel this week. I hope to be able the first part of April to report on my load work and results with Chrony readings and targets.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast