Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for purchasing used rifles.

Default Advice for purchasing used rifles.

I am in the process of looking for a used 338. I have never purchased a used gun and I am looking for suggestions what to look and what to stay away from. Any advise is welcome.

Stay away from Gun Shows and pawnshops. Buy from a place that will stand behind what they sell

Whats your price limit

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Stay away from Gun Shows and pawnshops. Buy from a place that will stand behind what they sell

Whats your price limit
    Good advice, even if it is more than a little biased Wildalaska . Purchasing from someone that will guarantee their product is a good idea, but you can find these sellers in many kinds of places. Most of the rifles I presently own and have owned were bought as used rifles by me and I have no reservations in buying used if I can scrutinize the rifle and trust/depend on the seller.

For a new gun owner the advice is good but if you know what to look for pawn shops are great and a good value. Look for abuse as dings in metal. Look at the bore for scratches. Buy a 338 snap cap and have them prove fireing pin dent and feel the trigger pull. Make sure the safety works. Look for cracks in the wrist of the stock and if they let you take the stock off and look at it for cracks. If say you buy a Ruger it doesn't matter if you get it from a pawn shop,gun show or gun store the factory will fix it. No matter where you buy it take it out and shoot it the same day if you can and if there is a problem take it right back,if a couple weeks pass forget about it. A good used gun can have fadeing blue and stock nicks,its whats inside that counts

Bottom line, know as much or more about the model as the guy selling it. Inspection period mandatory for distant purchase, with no fault returns. Lotta guys who can't make it selling used cars try their hand at gun sales.

Knowledge is power. Know what the gun you are looking at should sell for. Talk to a reputable gunsmith in advance of the puchase and ask if there is anything particular about the model of gun that you should be aware of. If possible, take a knowledgeable friend along to help look it over. Be aware of what a factory original gun looks like, as far as finish and parts, and be aware of aftermarket modifications that can be poorly done. If you find what you like, be prepared to bargain with CASH. Get a bill of sale from the seller. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thank you for all the advice. I have spoken with many of the local gun shops and they all have their opinions. I am not in a huge hurry and have time to look around.

Do you guys have any recommendation on models?

Since my wife stays at home with our kids I can not afford to spend too much money. I have saved about $650. This is why I am looking for a used model. Let me know if any one knows of any out there for sell.

I'd say for the $, the Ruger M77 mk II allweathers are strong reliable hunting rifle.

As far as what to look for, any signs of abuse. Remove the bolt and look at the lugs to see if there is any galling. Look down the bore to see that the rifling is clean and the barrel isn't bent or bulged.

The upside of a 338 is you're unlikely to come across one that has been shot enough to wear out the barrel, in fact odds are it'll have less than 100 rounds through it. The downside is it's a popular chambering so it's hard to come across a good deal on one.

Best advice is call or visit all the gunshops to see who has anything close to what you want in stock, and to get a feel for what prices various guns command. Also leave some $ in your budget for a quality scope, 338's require a good scope, or you'll just be replacing a less expensive one.

And don't be hung up on it being a 338, a 375H&H is also outstanding and occasionally you come across some Whitworth 375's that are fine hunting rifles. Or dropping down to a 300 win mag, which seem a bit more common on the used racks.

x2 For the Ruger .338 in Stainless.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    Since my wife stays at home with our kids I can not afford to spend too much money. I have saved about $650. This is why I am looking for a used model. Let me know if any one knows of any out there for sell.

hell we sell new ones for that price

Wildalaska, let me know what you have. I need a rifle and scope.

Check the gun for sale section of this forum. There is a Browning for alot less on there now

Default check the muzzle and screws

If there are nicks, gouges, or wear on the muzzle it likely won't shoot well. Also, check the various screws everywhere on the rifle. If they are buggered up, I'd be hesitant to buy it. That usually means someone was messing with it that didn't know what they were doing and/or didn't have the proper tools.

Do any of you know anything about the new Mossberg rifles that are out there now?

Another option is buying a Stevens on Gunbroker.com or whereever for $300. in 300 Mag. Everything about Savage/Stevens interprets in my eyes as saving money.

Any caliber you can dream of ready to install barrels from Factory take off barrels at $50. to super custom Benchmark barrels at $400. Boltheads and barrels can be changed out in minutes without machining or gunsmith costs. So one can go from 204 ruger to 378 Weatherby in the same action.

Speaking of standing behind a product: Customer service is second to none. Probably this excellant because they have such a fine initual product so customer service has time to chat???

Just some thoughts from a guy that owned one Savage (super out of the box shooter) until 3 years ago. Now I won't own anything else period and I have a lot of them now.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    hell we sell new ones for that price
    Blasers? I'll take one in 416 Rem.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Island View Post
    Another option is buying a Stevens on Gunbroker.com or whereever for $300. in 300 Mag. Everything about Savage/Stevens interprets in my eyes as saving money.
    Neal
    I would say Savage is about value for your money. They are as well made as most guns at twice the price and shoot with or better than about any hunting rifle you can buy! The new trigger system is the best and being copied by other makers now. It's a top notch working man's gun, they are meant to do the job of killing game quite well not impress the other guys in camp with its looks or price tag . . . my kind of gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You stated you have never purchased a used gun. If you have bought news ones what caliber are they. Reason I ask is if you have a 30-06 you realy don't need a 300. Also if you had a 30-06 you could save a some bucks with a rebore to make it 338-06

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Read Adfields post again:

"I would say Savage is about value for your money. They are as well made as most guns at twice the price and shoot with or better than about any hunting rifle you can buy! The new trigger system is the best and being copied by other makers now. It's a top notch working man's gun, they are meant to do the job of killing game quite well not impress the other guys in camp with its looks or price tag . . . my kind of gun."

I'd go that route if I were you.

I don't see how you could go wrong, with a Savage Bolt Action, with the Accutrigger, in 338 WM.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yes, Amigo Will I have a 30.06 I have been shooting for a little over twenty years. It was a gun my dad gave me as a kid so I am not really interested in reboring it. Your thinking on the 300 win mag is one of the reasons I wanted a 338. It is just a caliber I have wanted for several years and just have not spent any money.

I will look into the Savage. I have not seen one of those in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast