Thread: Aniak River

Default Aniak River

Has anyone ever fished the Aniak river. I was thinking of flying out there this sumer and floating the river. I am a trout freak. What time of year is good for Rainbows and char.

If I were paying money to fly somewhere to fish for trout I'd go in mid late june or mid july for the hatches and epic daylight.

Bring mice
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If I were paying money to fly somewhere to fish for trout I'd go in mid late june or mid july for the hatches and epic daylight.

Bring mice
    Well, that philosophy explains the 12" trophies....

Quote Originally Posted by akair
    Has anyone ever fished the Aniak river. I was thinking of flying out there this sumer and floating the river. I am a trout freak. What time of year is good for Rainbows and char.
    I've never fished the Aniak, I've had offers to go but it never dovetailed with my schedule. However from reports I've heard from folks that have done it as well as reading reviews in various publications it seems to be a bit of everything. Channel selection will be key in picking a route through the differing channels, be prepared to deal with varying amounts of wood in the water as well.

As to the fishing, it appears to fish best, like most waters in that region, in late Summer through Fall. Ignoring the advice I quoted above, I'd opt to run that river from anywhere beginning in LATE (as in the final 3 days) of July through the 2nd week of Sept. Beads, sculpin, leaches, flesh (later in the timeframe) would all be producers based on my experience in neighboring rivers. Mice will work as well, I prefer moorish mice as the foam helps prevent soggy rodent syndrome.

If your skill level is comfortable with the river you're looking at, then it should be a good float.

Best of Luck....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Well I have not been up that river high enough for trout, but I would have to agree with hippie about the water conditions. I worked with several guys who had a lot of trouble floating the upper portions. As you start getting closer to Aniak the trout are replaced by pike. If I were to go on that river I would go when the silvers are running.

Default Char and Dollies?

Fly out and float the Wulik or Kelly or Kug out of Kotzebue. Best Dolly fishing in the state hands down! Late July thru mid Aug id the deal.

Shoot me a PM if you need flight info.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Gulkana AK.

Walt is joking. No dollies in NW Alaska

As for the Aniak, it is known for the log jams. I am sure you are aware, just thought I would make mention. The Duke Brothers made dvds of four float trips and the Aniak is one of them. If you have any interest in floating this river, the first thing you should do is go to the dvd section of the forum store and buy the "Floating the Aniak" dvd. Aniak Air Guides was the service used in the dvd. Perhaps check out that website for info as well.

http://www.aniakairguides.com/

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=270
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Well, that philosophy explains the 12" trophies....
    Quality is not measured in number of inches. That being said 3 of the 4 biggest trout in my life have been caught on dry flies (yea I suck I haven't caught anything over 28 yet, and yeah it was on a dry), and the second largest was on a dead drifted mayfly. One can fish beads and leaches anywhere, but if you are gonna spend a ton of money to go out west you might as well do it when you don't have to fish beads.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quality is not measured in number of inches.
    Another instant classic.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Yep. Commented on it earlier, but in good taste went back a minute later and deleted it

I almost gave AKPM rep points for that.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quality is not measured in number of inches.
    That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    That's what she said.
    haha...Too Funny!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Aniak

Talk to Rob Kinkade @ Aniak Air Guides

I think Midnight Sun Trophy Pike Adventures guides on the Aniak as well. Greg is the owners name.