Thread: floating salcha river

Default floating salcha river

just asking for some info from some pepole with experince floating the salcha river.me and my hunting partner are planing a float hunt for moose there this september.this will be our first float trip,so any info will be helpfull

a lot of people take there boat up there a long ways. I think that the river would be really busy.

Default Correct

The river has Ample boat traffic and I do mean Ample. If the water is high expect air boats all the way up to skinny water i.e. above 80 mile.

Nice River good Moose population but more than likely you will have to hump far off the river to find good hunting. Check you maps and google earth find your most likley spots and hunt them versus float trip with hunting.

Once you get to 40-50 mile you will have more power boats so plan accordingly.

Great first trip. Keep your expectations in check use the trip as a learning trip with the potential to harvest and animal and you will have a great time. Bring a Fly Rod Grayling fishing is outstanding up there.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Lots of jet and airboat traffic, boats can make it 75 to 100 miles upriver from the boat ramp. A lot of cabins and private land. Much better rivers to float, no easy access to the upper part. If I was paying to fly in, I would look somewhere else.

Good Luck

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    The river has Ample boat traffic and I do mean Ample. If the water is high expect air boats all the way up to skinny water i.e. above 80 mile.

Nice River good Moose population but more than likely you will have to hump far off the river to find good hunting. Check you maps and google earth find your most likley spots and hunt them versus float trip with hunting.

Once you get to 40-50 mile you will have more power boats so plan accordingly.

Great first trip. Keep your expectations in check use the trip as a learning trip with the potential to harvest and animal and you will have a great time. Bring a Fly Rod Grayling fishing is outstanding up there.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose
    Great info, spot on.

Steve

Some good advice given in this post. Like mentioned, if you study some topo's and are willing to get off the river corridor, you should do fine. If you get up early and start your floats, you might beat some of the power boaters out of the gate and have a chance and finding one in the corridor. I'd focus on the furthest upper sections and blow on by the lower section where most of the cabins are located. Take your flyrod too, great Grayling fishing way up there.

i've heard it's pretty ridiculous during moose season up there.

You would probably enjoy a float trip somewhere for caribou much, much more as a first trip.

my 2 cents

thank you for all the replys,but isn't most of the road acsessable rivers usally over ran by hunters during season?Is salcha more crowded than others?thanks to my hunting partners dad, we talked him on going on a yukon river moose hunt, but are trying to still plan a fly in float hunt for caribou.Any tips for some good areas to look into?

Default Yes and No

Power boat access rivers such as the Chena and Salcha yes others that road to road access have limited power boat access i.e. skinny water, small water falls etc.. that take some of the pressure off from the power boats. That is not to say you would not find ample hunting pressure however it would be limited to like minded people doing the same thing.

Limited but doable for a fly in and float out. Another option would be to look South becuase rides in are shorter there for left expensive but than again you will start limiting your options.

If you were to spell it out it would like something like this. FLight in Upper Salcha 600 bucks Helio Craft float back to the road. Flight in to Alexander Creek 700 bucks round trip plus or minus for bringing meat back for drop off and pick up. There are options from the Bowl to Telkeetna just have to do some serious research.

Just my 28 cents worth.