Thread: ??Spencer glacier/Placer river??

Default ??Spencer glacier/Placer river??

wondering if it is possible to make it up the placer river from highway to the lake at the base of spencer glacier with a 18' lund with a 70hp jet.I have seen a number of airboats unloading but never a boat.if anyone's been to the lake is it big enough to land a float plane on it,than maybe float out to bridge. Any info would be appreciated

I've taken the train in and done that float twice. I believe both times were in late August. At that time I can't imagine getting a jet through the falls. Although, I do recall seeing some boats up there. I should imagine some experience would be helpful.
    As far as landing on the lake goes I'm not a pilot but there are a number of significantly sized glaciers and I think they shift and change possibly making it difficult to land a plane there. Perhaps if the configuration of them were just right you could land a plane there. The train is your best option IMHO. Perhaps you could train/hike in, scout it with a video camera and return with your boat. The first time I did the upper willow in a pack raft I flew it first with a video camera to scout the log jams. It was a tremendous help. Good luck, its a blast.

OOoops! I said glaciers when I meant icebergs. Sorry!

friend went up a long way in a mokia...? past rr bridge , not really sure how far.....dumped it on way out. obviously what a mokai will do is different than your bigger boat.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I've never landed at Spencer on floats, but many times on skis. It is big enough, but not sure about summer bergs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by babyhewey View Post
    I've taken the train in and done that float twice. I believe both times were in late August. At that time I can't imagine getting a jet through the falls. Although, I do recall seeing some boats up there. I should imagine some experience would be helpful.
    As far as landing on the lake goes I'm not a pilot but there are a number of significantly sized glaciers and I think they shift and change possibly making it difficult to land a plane there. Perhaps if the configuration of them were just right you could land a plane there. The train is your best option IMHO. Perhaps you could train/hike in, scout it with a video camera and return with your boat. The first time I did the upper willow in a pack raft I flew it first with a video camera to scout the log jams. It was a tremendous help. Good luck, its a blast.
    how much gear will R&R let you take?how much did it cost?is it a far hump to lake/river?

I don't recall there being a restriction on the amount of gear, but we just had one backpack each since we were using packrafts. Alaska RR has a website where you can check rates from the Portage Whistlestop. I think I recall it being just over a mile to hike in.

Default Placer River / Spencer

we did if in the picture rig, had a 5hp, to small to go up the falls so we pulled it, was early spring and got way shallow once close to the RR tracks, mabe 4" to 6" deep. Camped out under the one big tree that was there it has since washed out. Lots of logs and stuff too.
    Fun trip saw bear, a wolf, dead crown and cold feet!
    Don't think you could get a pilot to risk the landing.
    Attached Images Attached Images