Thread: Belt choices?

Default Belt choices?

I've heard to stay away from aftrermarket belts,is that a myth or is it best to stick with factory belts?

if you know where I can find belts for less than the factory ones I'd run 'em....$100+ per belt is just a bunch of crap...lol...

belt life has a lot more to do with the rider and machine setup....don't shy away from 'em....and if you know where to get 'em let me know....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    if you know where I can find belts for less than the factory ones I'd run 'em....$100+ per belt is just a bunch of crap...lol...

belt life has a lot more to do with the rider and machine setup....don't shy away from 'em....and if you know where to get 'em let me know....

$100 is cheap belt.......for some of these newer machines they are in excess of the 200 mark.

Aftermarket is alot better then they use to be. Some of the higher performance machines I would tend to stay away from an aftermarket belt as these newer compounds are really hard.

I've tried aftermarket belts a few times. They came off fairly quickly. There was always something not quite up to snuff with factory belts. I didn't find the compromise worth the price difference.

I guess I should be glad that my factory belts ONLY run $85.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I've tried aftermarket belts a few times. They came off fairly quickly. There was always something not quite up to snuff with factory belts. I didn't find the compromise worth the price difference.

It's actually has to do with the way the clutch is tuned and the way the belt is made. I will use the Arctic Cat belts as an example here. Back when the 2 belts that were interchangeable was the 010 and the 020.

There was a very slight differance in width, almost insignificant, but the 010 was a softer rubber and tended not to do well with higher HP machines or sleds that put alot of abuse to the belt, ie mountain machines, and not consider a long life belt. The 020 came along and took the abuse better but tended to slip more and generated alot more heat so the clutch needed to be re-tuned for the harder compound for proper function. The same is happening by not using the "factory" belt. Without retuning the clutch the aftermarket belts will not be a long life belt or possible poor performance from their use.

As a side note, many drag racers use to remove the 020 and use the 010 trying to reduce clutch slip.

AKHunter45,
    I have 2 newer Cats and the belts for those are $210 and a friend has some newer Doo's that I think he was saying something like $215 or $225. With proper clutching and alignment checks, we do see 3 to 4 thousand miles of use or maybe 2 seasons.

I'm still on my original belt with about 1200+ miles on it, my spare is ready just in case!

my factory ac belt was a 020 i bought and it lasted 3 weeks maybe before 3 of the inside teeth ripped off it. i think it was around 45 bucks at AC on commercial dr. i hear dayco belts are really good.
    Semper Fi!

I have 3600 miles on my machine and I'm 700 miles into my 3rd belt. First one was factory and was replaced at 1200 miles, second was a Carlisle replaced at 1900 miles.

Granted, my 700 is not a huge HP/torque, belt eating monster like some of the bigger motors