Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: improvised case lube

Default improvised case lube

I am all out of hornady one shot. It will take weeks for mail order. Does anyone have a suggestion for a none production case lube substitue?

Heard of but NEVER TRIED dish soap. No warranty expressed or implied...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking

I have been told that you can use Bag Bomb. The stuff that farmers use on cows udder and people use for chapped hands. Read this in an article about the stuff and it's many uses.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default vasoline

In a pinch Vasoline, but you have to be extremely careful around the primers, DO NOT touch the primer pocket or primers, and clean the cases after sizing.

Stp works but is messy and if you get to much on it can dent the case shoulders. Bad Balm will work also a little messy. Womens breast feeding nipple cream works very well, brand name Lansinoh. Just takes a tiny bit smeared on.

1 tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax will last you almost a lifetime.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

LOL wonder if the nipple cream was trial and error through desperation! Who'da thunk it!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    LOL wonder if the nipple cream was trial and error through desperation! Who'da thunk it!
    If you see your wifeís nipple lube and think . . . Hay wonder if that would be good case lube!
    YOU MIGHT BE A GUN NUT!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wink Yep, that's got me laughing

ADfields; "If you see your wife’s nipple lube and think . . . Hay wonder if that would be good case lube!

YOU MIGHT BE A GUN NUT!" [/QUOTE]

Ok, that is real Laughing Out Loud material there !

Who is that guy?

No reflection on anyone's ideas islander338, but do you have a stuck case remover? Some of my experiments with alternative lubes (most, in fact) turned that little device into an invaluable resource.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    ADfields; "If you see your wife’s nipple lube and think . . . Hay wonder if that would be good case lube!

YOU MIGHT BE A GUN NUT!"
    Ok, that is real Laughing Out Loud material there !

Who is that guy?
    Jeff Foxworthy and he is a gun nut too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Chapstick and other waxy lip stuff like that work.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well. wd40 on a rag seems to work. finished with brake cleaner. Im going to exercise some patience and wait for the mail to arrive before i wreck something. thx

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I posted earlier about using "Burts Bees", a Natural type hand cream for case lube. I used some today. It works reely good.

Anything that is greasy, and waxie, should do the job. Look around your house. The stuff to try are the salves, and ointment things, you might buy at the health food stores.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have been known to use PAM cooking spray when I ran out of my reg spray stuff.

Gun Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    I have been known to use PAM cooking spray when I ran out of my reg spray stuff.

Gun Runner
    Pam is an interesting thought, it's soy bean lecithin based which is said to be the slickest oil there is. We donít use it around here because I happen to be one of the .5% of people that can taste it, tastes like car battery acid to me even in the smallest amounts. I may grab a can and see how it does on cases just for kicks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

And the story behind knowing what car battery acid tastes like? :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default burts beeswax

Well i couldnt resist. Burts bees wax hand salve seems to work just fine. might even say better then the hornady spray.
    Does anyone see any problems with cleaning brass with brake kleen spray?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    And the story behind knowing what car battery acid tastes like? :-)
    Well there have been many times I've got it in my mouth but one time does stand out. One summer in Arizona my, Dad, brother, and I were coming back out of the desert from scouting for big mule deer to decide what hunt aria to put in for. We were about 20 miles up a 4x4 trail, 2 hours of driving from a grated road or 3 hours from a phone. In the bottom of a dry creek I came head to head with a Chevy with the hood up, no way around it and no one around. I stopped and heard yelling down the road the other side of the Chevy over my motor idling. Seams this guy was also scouting and brought his girlfriend, she got mad from all the bouncing around the cab on the old stage coach road so they had stopped for a little fight.

Surprise, she was victorious in this battle and they were going to turn around and go home. The guy turns the key to start the Chevy and nothing, this restarts the fight but now itís not little anymore! They were trying to decide if he was stupid or not when I walked up to them ľ miles down the trail. The battery had bounced out of the tray and shorted out at some point so was now completely dead. I hook up my jumper cables to my truck, go to his Chevy to hook the other end and couldnít see in the dark what I was doing and BOOM . . . I know battery acid tastes like Pam to me!

I thought I was going to be blind but after some rinsing all was well but for my close and seat cover in my truck. The gal would not ride with him so we gave her a ride home and she dated my brother for a while after that. Jury is still out on if the Chevy owner or my brother was dumber guy that night.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    Does anyone see any problems with cleaning brass with brake kleen spray?
    Other than poisoning yourself inside, freezing your fingers outside, and itís a bit pricy it works just fine. I have a gallon can of carbonator dip that comes with a basket that I use sometimes for brass and some non blued gun parts, it can be used for years.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast