Thread: Help! crushed shoulders

Default Help! crushed shoulders

I am somehow crushing my shoulders when I seat my bullets. Does anyone have an explaination? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0198.jpg  

One thought came to mind - I wonder if the expander ball isn't opening up the case mouth to appropriate dimensions? Have you used the same die, bullets in other cases of same caliber before without any problems? I had this problem trying to seat Grand Slam bullets in a 300 Win. I swapped out the expander ball and no more problems. Just a thought. Keep us posted.

If you have your seating die (not the stem, the die) screwed down too far and your cases are too long, you can hit the case mouths in the die and cause this issue, as well.

Try backing off your die in the press and adjusting the seater to the new depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    Try backing off your die in the press and adjusting the seater to the new depth.
    Yup. From the pics, I can almost guarantee that you've got the die body set down far enough that it's trying to crimp the bullets, but there's no canelure in that spot. Been there done that. AK Fireman has it right.

Try this: Loosen the seating stem and back it out a ways. Now back the die out 3 or 4 full turns. Put a case in the shellholder and raise the ram all the way. Now start screwing the die body down till you feel the crimping ledge hit the case neck. Back it off a full turn, and move the lock ring down and set the die at that length. Now adjust your seating stem to get the seating depth you want. You don't really "need" to back the die off a full turn from where the crimp ledge hits the case mouth, but it's cheap insurance against the day when your csaes get too long.

Talking Screwed in too far

I had the same thing happen and I had the die screwed down 1 turn too far. Unscrewed 1 turn and worked great.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default Seating AND Crimping?

I quit trying to seat and crimp in one pass a long time ago; which it kinda looks like you're doing even if unintentionally. Back that die off a couple turns and then just screw the seating stem in a bit farther to compensate. If you want to crimp, then complete seating all the bullets in all the cases and then do your crimp step: reset the die by backing off the seating stem and screwing the die back down.

Another possible cause is that your case mouths might need to be chamfered a bit. This is especially important if you're seating flat base bullets; not quite as problematic with boat tail designs.
    In God We Trust.

thanks everyone. I backed the die out and turned the stem down and im back at it.