Thread: Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 2/11/10

Thumbs up Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 2/11/10

It's been a great week in Willow. We go about 7 inches of new snow over last weekend and it made for some great trail grooming. Temps are in the middle 20's and the mountians where out in full force today. With the new snow in the area Nancey Lake State Park will be much better and also the rivers needed it. Hatcher Pass is still lacking good snow yet, but up the Yentna the snow gets deeper. It is Valentines weekend and also President's Day on Mon. So there will be a lot of people out riding. Got a cabin left if anybody wants a place to stay.
    Willow is just a great place to ride!
    Remember we are taking to bumps so you don't have too!!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

I want to compliment you and the Willow Trail Committee on a job well done with the trail system in your area. I rode from Big Lake to Petersville and back yesterday and knew where your section ended and the rest picked up. The area thru the Crossover was a little tore up but that was from the traffic from the dog sled race. Taking the right towards Su Landing was great and even the section thru the woods before coming back out on the river was not bad....I expected alot worse. Signage was ok.

Other committee area signage had us guessing sometimes.

MidValley is also doing ok. They had gotten some pretty good drifting before the snow harden up. The climb off the river in one section(Trapper Lake??) was pretty icey. They are doing well with trail markers. The posting board coming to Trapper Lake (?) was a great laugh. My daughter even got a kick out of the item left there. (I do not want to ruin anyone's treasure hunt, so I will not tell)

The trail to Sheep Creek Lodge from the North/South trail is horrible. Found out they didn't open till later. See notes below. Decided to run the road trail to Talkeetna spur and pickup the trail from the Su.

A couple of notes for those travelling that way mostly during the week. Sheep Creek Lodge doesn't open till after 3 pm, the Cafe at the Tesoro gas (Talkeetna Spur) stop is closed until further notice, H&H Cafe also doesn't open till later in the day. So your lunch stops are very limited till further north or need to plan a trail lunch.

Also of note there is no way to get back on the Su from the Parks Hwy, coming from the south, north of the Spur with out crossing private property, dropping off the almost cliff like embankment or crossing the bare bridge as your only choices.

Did a late late lunch in Trapper Creek, refueled again and run em like we stole em on the way back. We had only one section we missed on the way north but it was alot easier going as darkness started to settle in and we were able to pick up the pace a little more with out the flat light issues from earlier in the day.

Between off trail play time and a side excursion or three we logged 296 gps miles. No traffic once we left Big Lake till the Crossover at Deshka/Su area, then we ran across 3 sleds somewhere in the middle of nowhere. From the Sheep Creek area north we seen no one until just before we turned towards Trapper Creek. The return trip we were all alone.

All in all a great day. Anyone looking to make the trip I do suggest carrying a GPS to help with some of the signage and or help to figure out where you are in relation to the highway. I did leave out the bad parts as I did not want to point fingers at any one trail section. The good news is everyone is out there trying to make things better but all must realize conditions are not the best by any scretch of the imagination for keeping the trails road smooth.

Last note bought the $2 trail map but it doesn't get you all the way to Trapper Creek. I have ridden different parts of the North/South before but never in one trip like this one, so I had an idea about what direction we needed to be going.

A couple things to add.

Trapper Creek Inn store (the Tesoro at Petersville Rd & Parks Hwy) is closed til mid-April. You can still get gas with a CC.

On the Chulitna Bluff trail a mile or so north of Trapper Creek, there is a spur trail put in by the Susitna River Lodge that takes you from Trapper Creek to Talkeetna.

Have fun.

I forgot the CC deal at Trapper Creek......I was more concentrated on the midway point stuff where someone might jump out for a break.