Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon vs Scotty

Default Canon vs Scotty

I've read where some think that downriggers are toward the bottom of the "got to get" checklist if one is just getting into ocean boating. But if you want to spend any time trolling for Homer kings, or silvers, I would think that they climb the list rapidly? Let alone win the Homer King Derby (kidding). Although I plan to spend most of my time out of Whittier, and maybe a trip to spend some time in Kodiak, I wouldn't mind doing the above.

I've read posts on both the Canon's and Scotty's, and it seems the Scotty's are a little more "complicated", if I read them right. Does anyone have any opinions on either? I am referring to the electric models. Actually, any opinions on the manual models? Thanks for the information.

I boat/fish Whittier exclusively and have not hooked up my Canon downriggers on the new boat. We seem to very well just mooching. I used them quite a lot out of Seward for silvers with the old boat. As far as quality goes, I like the Scottys better. My neighbor has them and they seem to be put together better. Once you use electric ones you won't want the manual ones.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Once you use electric ones you won't want the manual ones.
    I think that is pretty much true. I have Cannons and they work well. Down rigger trolling takes a little attentiveness by the person on the deck, but is really fun. I put another fishfinder / gps on the deck to make it easier. This past season I hooked a scent bag on one and sent it down. One of our lines got bit and tangled hopelessly around the downrigger line. The Cannon drug it all up, though not without a struggle, 12 lb. ball, scent bag, and a halibut that was just under 100# per the size chart. A little excitement added to the day. I'm going to mount one more forward for this season to try and eliminate that.

Default Scotty's

I have had no problem with mine over the last 4 years. And others that I have spoke too have had the same luck. I know there is a lifetime warranty on the Scott'ys. I do not know if Canon has the same.

Chuck

Charterboat Operator

Never used the Cannons, but have a pair of Scottys mounted on mine. Spent many years with them using them WAY to seldomly due to the fact that i was more successfull NOT using them. they take time to learn to use, and as Homertime states, quite alot of attentivness.
    The key is once you do figure them out and all the little tricks that make "THE SETUP" its routine, SIMPLE. you can have 4 lines running off of two downriggers in no time flat.

best tip i could possible give you is ALWAYS remember to pull them up and store the cannonballs BEFORE you move to another spot!!
    gets sxpensive otherwise!

I am not sure what type of plug the newer Canons are utilizing, but the ones that came on mine corroded after a season. Dielectric grease would have helped, but they were junk. I replaced them with one like this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I had some corrosion issues with mine and got some of the plugs Spoiled One recommended (from a previous thread). I was able to clean mine up and packed the contacts with dielectric grease and they have worked just fine since. I am ready with new ones when (not if) they fail.

I have 2 Penn fathom master 625 manual downriggers. They are simple to use and have been reliable since I have had them, though I don't use them a whole lot. Usaully 4 or 5 times a year trolling for kings in Homer, and a few more times in Seward for Silvers.

Default Canons have worked fine for me

I have 3 that came with my boat. I use them once in a while. But if your going to troll a lot for Kings I would say they are a must. For silvers, keep em tucked away, they'll just get in the way. There is a reason the guides and the others (including me) mooch. If you want to troll for silvers, just slow troll, works great.

Basically, I thought I needed them and thought had I not got them with my boat, I was going to buy a pair, but again, excluding trolling for Kings, I use mine more to just make sure they are still functioning properly.

Good Luck.
    Tony

I have two Cannon downriggers that I have been happy with. No problems with them at all. They are the bottom of the line electrics, the mini-mags, that I brought up with me from down south. While they would probably struggle with a 100lb halibut as described above, I've had no problems with them bringing gear and a heavy canon ball up from as deep as 120ft. Even though they were on the cheap end they have held up great.

As others have said, they require folks on board to pay attention. I got a couple buddies of mine trained on them and we could work 4 lines pretty well on two riggers. Everyone had to watch their gear or you would end up with a mess. I've caught a ton of fish on them so I think they're worth the investment if you want to troll.

I have 2 Penn fathom master manuals that are 25 years old that a friend gave me. Simple and effective. I only have a 20 foot open boat and they work great for that. My buddy has canon electrics and there is always something happening with them. In my opinion, electricity and saltwater = corrosion so you will always have something to fix.

I have these electrics...

http://store.cannondownriggers.cust....065/Digi-Troll

And these manuals...

http://store.cannondownriggers.cust....5070/Uni-Troll

The electrics have been flawless! I changed the plugs to work with other accessories. These have more functions than 90% of the people will ever use or learn to program. 250' per minute means keep your hands away once you touch the 'auto-up' button. Costs $7 to make them manual as well.

The manuals are new ones and haven`t been fished yet. They are ultra simple by design and are a one-handed operation as opposed to some others.

If I was shopping for another set (yeah, right) I`d go with Cannon again.

I will have the electrics spooled with 500' of braid and will be using them for halibut this year...no lead for me!

I have two Scotty manual downriggers. About the only time I use them anymore is when I'm through fishing for the day and want to slowly make my way back to the harbor or cove. Or if mooching just isn't working. I like Scotty, but I've used Canons, too, and like them. I've had some issues with my Scotty mounts for my Scotty Striker rod holders. Both times Scotty sent me replacement parts at no cost to me. So their service is excellent. If I were you, I'd just look at which brand is on sale and go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I am not sure what type of plug the newer Canons are utilizing, but the ones that came on mine corroded after a season. Dielectric grease would have helped, but they were junk. I replaced them with one like this.

We had cannon mag 10 electrics on our old boat and had to change out the plugs too. When fitting out new boat we went with Scotty because of recommendations from some of my buddies.
    Boatless

Default As "Spoiled One" figured out....

Mooch = you are fishing!

Downrigger = the boat is fishing!

Wind it up after the downrigger catches it? What rewarding about that??

So I guess you are arguing that all trolling isn't rewarding?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Mooch = you are fishing!

Downrigger = the boat is fishing!

Wind it up after the downrigger catches it? What rewarding about that??
    I don't know about anyone else, but I get excited about a fish on the end of my line know matter what method is used.

Default Yeah....

I guess I'm just one of those "Happiness is a method of travel rather than a place you arrive at" guys...lot's of people have a lot of fun trolling, just not for me. If trolling/downrigging was the only way to catch fish, I'd probably do it...and it's fine for commercial fishing, as are nets.

Default Down Riggers

I have had Walkers, Cannon, Great Lakes, Penn, and Scotty Down Riggers. I like the Scotty electric's because they have always worked for me, simple to use, and have a life time warrenty. In the Cannon Down riggers I have owned the Digital IV bottom track, and the 10 Ten Mag. They where good down riggers but the Digital IV was just to comlicated for me to use. Great Lakes where great but they are no longer made. The manual Penn's where good exerisce and worked good. The Walkers I gave away just to get rid of them. Your corrossion problem could because by leaving the electricity connect to the pluggin when not in use. If you are not using the down riggers shut power off to the pluggins or the electicity will track to ground and the plug will fall apart. I had the same problem with the older Scotty pluggins. I have changed out all my pluggins to twist locks for use with the Down Riggers and my electic reels and have not had one problem.

Default Cannon manuals

I have two Canon manual models that are about 15 yrs old. They have been really reliable and simple. I got away from trolling and went to mooching. I did find a good use for them though. For halibut fishing I mounted one of the brackets on the bow just left of my anchor fairlead and put braided 150lb line on the downrigger. I used it to lower a 10lb ball and milk jugs full of chum (with holes drilled in them) all the way to the bottom (150-250 ft where I fish). By having my chum jugs upstream of my baits it has worked like a charm spreading a scent field downstream/tide across the baits we're soaking. A simple second use for downriggers.
    Note to self: bring up the chum jugs before pulling the anchor. What a mess otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast