Thread: how about 358 Nukalpiaq info?

Default how about 358 Nukalpiaq info?

I haven't seen any new info lately on this chambering, whats going on?
    Has Murphy worked up any new loads and how does Nukalpiaq's rifle hold a pattern. What does it like for powder and bullets? What velocity can you obtain with 225 grain Barnes tsx's. Would this cartridge be best with a 24 inch barrel or does it need an additional 2 to make it run right? Did anyone decide to make headstamped brass? Who makes reloading dies and how many reamers are out there? What twist rate would be best 1:12 or 1:14? How about a summary of the cartridge Murphy?

Anyone else have any info?

Default Re: how about 358 Nukalpiaq info?

Been collecting parts for my build but not done yet.
    Have a NIB Remington 798 7mm Mag (Zastava) for the action and a 1/12 twist barrel in a pretty good contour. Need to find a smith and the reamer to put them together. Of course I also need to get the dies. hmmm...

Well, personally I consider the cartridge a success. Successful in that it lived up to ballistic predictions and expectations. There are at least two working models now in existence and brass is formed from readily available 375 Ruger brass. I have found more pressing considerations and have not followed through as well as I had planned with the various projects, including this 358 but I did unpack some loading data and formed brass last week from the many boxes still in my garage, so further much sought after information will soon be forth coming in regard to this Alaskan design cartridge

I do have dies and some formed brass available. Dies are available also direct from Redding for this wildcat under the name of 358 Nukalpiaq. I think I have at least one set for sale and can also obtain more. I also have the reamer now as I picked it up from Spearfish Gunsmithing in Spearfish, SD on my way through that lovely little town.
    Ballistically it will best the 358 Norma performance and does so in a 30-06 length beltless case. I hope this answers some of the questions about the cartridge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'll try to attach a file of 358 data. Just some of the work with this caliber. If you zoom in on this it seems to work. This is heavier bullets. 275-280 Grain and RL-17, RL-19 and H4350 powders.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Are those tested loads or estimated velocities?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Are those tested loads or estimated velocities?
    All test fired from a forum members rifle. I think a 22" barrel. Velocities are instrumental at 15' from the muzzle shot through my Oehler model 35P chrony. I now have a 23" gun and will start again with more testing soon. I also have some 250 grain bullet data. The cartridge exceeds the capacity of the 358 Norma and also its ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
    I haven't seen any new info lately on this chambering, whats going on?
    Did anyone decide to make headstamped brass? Who makes reloading dies and how many reamers are out there?
    Been holding off on my order for headstamped brass from Quality Cartridges but they do have the specs on file for the new 358 Nukalpiaq cartridge, just waiting for me to bite the bullet and pay the entry fee. Kinda on a tight budget right now. Hopefully by this spring I will have my order send out and get the process started, folks there told me it would take approximately 8 weeks to make the 400 rounds of brass for the first run. Besides Murphy I too have reloading dies made by Redding and a new chamber reamer by Dave Manson. Planning on having one of my other 358 Norma rifle rechambered this summer, the rifle I am planning on using has a 27inch barrel and is built on an Interarms Mark X action. Nice walnut stock too. Recall from one of Murphy's earlier post the rechamber from 358 Norma to 358 Nukalpiaq should be fairly straightforward. Everything should come together by this fall. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Been holding off on my order for headstamped brass from Quality Cartridges but they do have the specs on file for the new 358 Nukalpiaq cartridge, just waiting for me to bite the bullet and pay the entry fee. Kinda on a tight budget right now. Hopefully by this spring I will have my order send out and get the process started, folks there told me it would take approximately 8 weeks to make the 400 rounds of brass for the first run. Besides Murphy I too have reloading dies made by Redding and a new chamber reamer by Dave Manson. Planning on having one of my other 358 Norma rifle rechambered this summer, the rifle I am planning on using has a 27inch barrel and is built on an Interarms Mark X action. Nice walnut stock too. Recall from one of Murphy's earlier post the rechamber from 358 Norma to 358 Nukalpiaq should be fairly straightforward. Everything should come together by this fall. Thanks for asking.
    Willard,

If you have contact info for KodiakKansas, on this forum, you might get him to go in on the head stamped brass. He now owns a rifle in the caliber. Also I think Jamison in Sturgis, SD is available to making custom head stamped brass and may be faster. I have been waiting one year for my QC brass.

Quyana Jim, I will look up KodiakKansas's contact info on the forum here, also will contact Jamison and get a price quote for some brass too.
    Piuraa,
    Willard

Thanks guys. I was waiting on tenterhooks for this info. Looking forward to more info in the future.

Nice work Murphy, it's always nice to collect reliable data. I find it interesting that the H4350 out ran the RL-17 with equal amounts of charge in all but a few of your loads.

keen to hear about how this cartridge is working out

also want to find out where i can get my hands on a reamer, any specific POC for dies from redding, best option for twist and length (looking at using 225/250 barnes tsx's for sambar, ? 22-23" barrel)

anymore info on loads for those bullet weights?

cheers

I do have some data for the 250 grain Swift A-frame and some for 225 grainers. I can send the reamer to the gunsmith of your choice, I just ask for a little care for the tool and shipping cost. I am also trying to get a forming die and make a set with form, size and seat. The form die make the job easier and would really be an interim die to form a shallow shoulder on the Hornady basic brass. Several of us wildcatters petitioned Hornady to make this basic and it works well. I presently use the 404 Jeffery die to start the shoulder.

I think a two die set, size and seat, is about $200, not sure I'll have to check.

murphy, thanks for the quick reply

i'd be very interested in a 3 die set (the custom forming die sounds like an ideal solution) happy to pay for shipping and have always adhered to the principle of if i borrow it and it is damaged then i own a broken item and your new one is going to be returned asap.

you mentioned in a previous post that redding made a 2 die set for you, is that still current?

cheers

Default 358 Nuka...

Hey Murphy,
    still haven't heard back from you on the availability of a reamer for this but want to geter started so I can use it this fall. I also plan on building a 8mm on this case. Have a 8mm barrel that has never been chambered so itching to git it finished and into a stock. Look forward to hearing back from you and by the way, do you still have dies for this creature and if so, what would my cost be. Thanks,

LeRoy

I found this recently and thought I'd share with anyone interested.

The 358 Nukalpiaq

Brass: Hornady 375 Ruger Basic,
    Formed in custom Redding form die and Full Length sized. Trimmed: 2.570" Capacity: H2O 98.4 grains (average of ten)

Bullet: 275 grain Kodiak Bonded
    Powder: RL-17
    Primer: CCI 250
    Seating: COAL 3.390" At Cannelure.

69.0 Grains 2527 FPS

70.0 Grains 2547 FPS

71.0 Grains 2567 FPS

72.0 Grains 2601 FPS

73.0 Grains 2622 FPS

74.0 Grains 2677 FPS Best Load. SD 13 FPS. Accuracy 3/4"

75.0 Grains 2706 FPS

76.0 Grains 2747 FPS Maximum Load.

77.0 Grains …………………Test load only, not recommended.

Powder: H4350

72.0 Grains 2604 FPS

73.0 Grains 2633 FPS

73.5 Grains 2651 FPS

74.0 Grains 2701 FPS Best Load. SD 12 FPS.
    Accuracy three groups at 1/2".

75.0 Grains 2728 FPS Maximum Load.

Bullet: 280 Grain Swift A-Frame.
    Seating: COAL 3.365"
    Powder: H4350

70.0 Grains 2538 FPS

71.0 Grains 2545 FPS

72.0 Grains 2587 FPS

73.0 Grains 2635 FPS Good Load.

74.0 Grains 2701 FPS Best Load. SD 9 FPS.
    Accuracy less than 1". A-Frames are not famous for their accuracy.

75.0 Grains 2728 FPS Near Maximum. Good load.

Powder: RL-17

68.0 Grains 2523 FPS

69.0 Grains 2534 FPS

70.0 Grains 2545 FPS

71.0 Grains 2555 FPS

72.0 Grains 2594 FPS

73.0 Grains 2611 FPS Good Load. SD 14

74.0 Grains 2655 FPS Good Load. SD 12

75.0 Grains 2681 Fps Maximum Load.

Powder: RL-19

73.0 Grains 2436 FPS

74.0 Grains 2486 FPS

75.0 Grains 2555 FPS

76.0 Grains 2583 FPS Good Load

77.0 Grains 2599 FPS Maximum Load. Good performance.

78.0 Grains Test load only. Not recommended.