Thread: small calibers?

Default small calibers?

any companies make decent small caliber muzzleloaders.....like maybe 22 or 243 or 223...something that would work good on varmints......or has anyone used 30 cals on varmits just loaded light???
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Here's one...

I bought their .54 cal muzzle loader and I'm very happy with it. This one is a .32 which is pretty small for a smoke pole and would probably be ideal for small game.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=930100

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

The smallest factory caliber you can get is 32 caliber, though customs can be had in 30, 28 and 25. There's one little "toy" muzzleloader designed to shoot either 17 or 22 cal airgun pellets (can't remember which), but it's powered strictly by 209 primers with no powder, so range will be limited.

The link AKsoldier provided would a good one for varminting, IF Green Mountain is still making the rifle. They're recently pulled out of making a lot of their muzzleloading products and I don't know if it was on the axe list. About the only other factory 32 I know today is the Traditions Crockett , though they also make a 36 cal Shenandoah.

You'll find with any of them that round balls aren't going to have the kind of long range trajectories you want, and conical bullets in exactly the right diameter are hard to come up with in either 32 or 36. Most folks I know who varmint hunt with traditional style sidelock muzzleloaders consider 100 yards a pretty long shot, even without wind.

I've got a Crockett, and it's remarkably accurate out to 50 yards, but I've never tried it further. Reports are good for longer, but I just haven't got around to it.

My friend Fritz is a die hard buck skinner, he has a .32. That little gun is one of the funnest things to shoot I have ever pulled a trigger on! Great small game gun. Not sure if it was a complete gun when he purchased it or it was one of his customs....I'll send a E-Mail off and see what I can find out.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default thanks

thanks for the reply guys......i'm interested in shooting varmints and small game where it is firearms are restricted to shotguns or muzzleloaders...plus i'd like to get back into muzzleloading in general....i got my certification through the state last year and had a blast....but would like more opportunities to get out and shoot
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

One thing to think about, S-in-S:

Most muzzleloaders shoot very well with light powder charges and roundballs, even fast-twist inlines. Using charges of 3f down in the 30-35 grain range, bigger bores are ideal head mashers for snowshoe hare. In fact, lately I've been using any of several 58 calibers I own for snowshoe hare. They'll all cut ragged hole groups at 25 yards, and nearly so at 50 yards. Dandy small game loads that give you a bunch more field time with your big gun. Consider that I've also got 32 and 36 caliber rifles, but I'm using the bigger bores more. Until the time comes you get your small bore, try using reduced charges in the one you have.

BTW- All of mine print those 25 and 50 yard groups right on the money with no sight changes from the way their sighted with heavy charges.

I believe I saw on alaskalists.com that somebody is selling a 22 cal black power rifle. you might take a look. Bud

Firtz's 32 cal is made by traditions and it's a hawken style percussion cap. He said it is a great gun but he would consider a kentucky long rifle style gun if he were to purchase another stock muzzleloader.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.