Thread: Canning River for Caribou

Default Canning River for Caribou

Thinking about the Canning River for a float Hunt, any thoughts??????

Ya, I thought about the Canning River back in 2004 when I first came up with this crazy thought of producing an Alaskan TV show. I hear it has lots of animal trails along the river bank so it could prove to be an interesting hunt. Very remote. Expensive. But...once in a lifetime experience....question is picking out the pull out point.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default For Caribou?

I visit the Canning quite a bit for work and always see caribou in or around there. There is a strip lower down on the river, I usually see people with rafts waiting for a pickup. There are better options that offer the same experince at a lower cost. I just don't believe in going that far for a caribou. If you are sure you want to do this you can PM about the pickup spot but I can't recomend any air taxis/carriers that land there.

I guess there are a cuple different carriers out of either Arctic Village or Happy valley that drop off and pick up, was just wondering if anyone has been there lately and what it's like there...... Might have to find a other option if this area is not that good...... thanks for the replys

does the hunting look good there?????

Welcome to the forum adakak. If you use the search function for this site you will find some information on the Canning. Also consider M. Strahan's book about float hunting Alaska as another resource. It has a section that details that river and is readily available to all. Note that if you choose to float this river it will likely be a fairly expensive proposition. If you are still considering it after some of your initial research then feel free to PM me. I have floated that river, and am willing to discreetly share thoughts and ideas with a sincere and interested fellow hunter.

Looking for someone to fly three people in on the canning river. Any ideals?Thanks

Thumbs up Happy Valley

I would fly out of Happy Valley with Mike McCrary...907 209-0119, mike@alaskabushsports.com

Thats your least expensive option, (?) 700 pound payload (?) per flight.

If you need a 1200 pound payload and have more expendable dollars calll Dirk, flying his Beaver, out of Coldfoot or Galbreath Lake.

I have used both with great results. For a two hunters i lean towards Mike. One flight in with hunters and gear. Two flights out with 4 harvested caribou.
    Even two loads with Mike out of Happy Valley may be less expensive that Dirk and the Beaver.

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    Looking for someone to fly three people in on the canning river. Any ideals?Thanks

Check with Kirk Sweetsir of Yukon Air. Solid guy and I have heard nothing but good things about him. Plan on using him on an upcoming float myself. Website below..

http://www.yukonair.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hi,
    I will have a super cub based at chandalar shelf during hunting season. Let me know if I can be of some service.
    Thank you
    Jeff Kruse
    Bushwhacker Air

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i will need some one that can take me and my two teen girls (12&14) one load. for 2 bou on the return... ( dad don't need one)

well.. maybe gotta see what the spring draw brings first. but ya all can email me some rates to/

vince@alaska.net
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here