Thread: DB258 Hunt

Default DB258 Hunt

I'm going to Kodiak this April/May on a draw hunt. My partner and I will be hunting in the Wild Creek section of the island. Has anyone hunted this part of the island before and can you tell me any details on the terrain there?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I have hunted that area for deer and saw lots of bear sign along the creek beds. There are areas where you can get up a few hundred feet and get a good view of the land but you are going to have to break some brush to do it. Spring time will be a good time to hunt, in the fall you would have a chance of running into deer hunters.

there will be other people there. i've talked with guys who've had this tag before and told them to contact the guide in the area and just let him know what your up to, alot of them will work with you if your willing to listen. but the guide in wild creek started yelling at the guy who called. SO, i will not tell you to call the guide there, for fear of you having a bad expereince talking with him.
    But i will tell you, play the wind....all the time. get a vantage point to glass ( only glass an area you can actually access though ) and glass and glass..its not uncommon to put in 16 hour days glassing in the spring. the north end of the island seems in april bears stay up high most of the time, by early may they'll start dropping down farther below the snow line...now thats a generaliztion and not always the case. but thats a place to start your glassing.
    remember all bears are different and you'll learn something new with each bear. but when you feel its time, and you've got a target picked out...go till you can't go no more! kodiak can turn on you in a hurry, one minute you think you've got it all figured out and the next your all alone wondering what just happened...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Permits Are Out!

Do you have a link?

Default Only Kodiak Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Do you have a link?
    No, only the Kodiak Spring Bear permits are available. Check here (http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...s.drawmoreinfo) for information. The rest of the '10 draw permits will be announced sometime before the end of March.

Thanks for the help but what I am really looking for is details about the terrain. Are there available water sources? I'm bringing a water purifier so I don't have to bring in that much water. How steep are the hills and what is the vegetation like? I haven't been able to get my hands on a good topographic map yet.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

The terrain is steep and nasty. It is a buffer zone for Kodiak city. They use the permits as a last effort to reduce numbers of bears close to different resources like people, cattle and other animals. I don't know how many this year but it is a higher number of permit area. For a good map.. Go to the map store geological survey at Pacific University. Tell them the area you are hunting and they WILL have maps of the area. Water will not be a problem for your area but the terrain is tough. Bring a camelback and keep sipping water all day. Bring water additives like Propel or energy additives. You are more prone to drink. That way you wont have probs when you have to climb. Snow shoes depend on the spring thaw. I would bring them. It is steep, bring hiking poles. I would bring 2 but one can work. Hunting is tough anywhere on Kodiak. Wait for good weather and keep the wind in your favor. Good luck. Might want to bring a .22 for Ptarmigan if they are open when and where you will be. Wild river is gnarley terrain but if a bear is there and you hunt smart you can get one.
    Shoot straight.

yes steep...lots of grass and alders and snow..very little open. expect lots of alders and grass and snow and being able to climb and smell the grass without bending over.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212