Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caliber and load adequate for Brownies?

Default caliber and load adequate for Brownies?

I plan to use a .300 win mag loaded with 200 grain accubonds pushed right at about 3000 fps. for a Brownie hunt. I'd like to hear from some experienced Brown Bear hunters about my choice. I might add that I do shoot very well but I've never hunted the big Browns.

jager63,
    With a proper double-lung kill shot, that gun/bullet combo will kill a brown bear very fast.
    With a proper double-lung kill shot, It will be a good death.

With a proper double-lung kill shot, either a arrow, or crossbow bolt, or a patched round ball will also kill that bear.

Shoot 'em where they live and it will be a good death.
    I don't over-think these things. I do try to kill bears reasonably fast, which keeps me out of the bushes, and provides brown bears with all-expences-paid trips to Colorado, Florida, Michigan, ect.

Mentally prepare yourself as well as you can so you can control your nerves. And your guide should be helping you to control the excitement. And then squeeze off that first shot as perfect as on the range...and poke a hole through a broadside standing bear...and both lungs, and perhaps the heart will leak rapidly...= a good death.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by jager63 View Post
    I plan to use a .300 win mag loaded with 200 grain accubonds pushed right at about 3000 fps. for a Brownie hunt. I'd like to hear from some experienced Brown Bear hunters about my choice. I might add that I do shoot very well but I've never hunted the big Browns.
    The .300 mag. does a good job. Needs more "follow up area" than the larger calibers but if a guided hunt he will know (hopefully) what will be required.
    Good luck with your hunt.
    Joe (Ak)

I've shot a couple of brownies of with a .30-06 and 150 grain Barnes TSX bullets. Neither bear went 40 yards.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs down

I'll personally never hunt brown bear again with a .30 cal rifle.

It's .375 or .45-70 for me. Both are optimal performers; nothing marginal about it.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'll personally never hunt brown bear again with a .30 cal rifle.

It's .375 or .45-70 for me. Both are optimal performers; nothing marginal about it.

Taylor
    ..........Marc!....you're alive!
    -lol-
    -hadn't seen you in a while-
    (or, maybe it's just my periodic oblivious nature-)

-I feel most comfortable with my .358 Norma Mag, when it comes to brownie protection-

...although, I will be going after one this spring with my bow;
    - Eklutna Lake Mgmt area...(not too sure how smart that is-lol-...but oh well- - looking forward to contributing to the management efforts by filling this tag...!-or, at least trying-)

...had a grizzly once come uncomfortably close to me on my porch,huffing when I opened the cabin door- all I had was my .44 mag pistol; ended up recoiling myself in the forehead,-lol-- I was the one leaving the bloodtrail instead of him, while I tried to track him to make sure I didn't hit him(I didn't...but,couldn't believe I missed him that close...anyway, I was caught off guard. Good thing I always wore my pistol).
    -that was some years ago-at my cabin NE of Fairbanks-

-I agree also with what has been stressed above....shot placement,shot placement,shot placement-

-and, there is nothing to be ashamed about in wanting to carry more than enough gun-
    -(though I have heard of many folks successfully taking brownies with .30 cal and less)
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

What does your guide recommend?

i think your round is fine. 375 works great. thsat is what i used last yr.

Used my .338 and .375 last couple years and both resulted in clean kills, that being said I have to agree that shot placement is everything no matter what you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Used my .338 and .375 last couple years and both resulted in clean kills, that being said I have to agree that shot placement is everything no matter what you shoot.
    You are right about that.

I will add that besides shot placement, the caliber size does not matter much. I remember reading a bear hunting story about five years ago at another forum. According to this guy: he and his partner were using a .338WM and .375H&H, and both shot a bear a fairly close range with both rifles, but the bear ran. They reloaded their rifles, waited about 20 minutes and then began tracking the bear. They were following the blood trail, and realized that the bear was not too far ahead, and coming their way, so again they started shooting, and kept on firing their rifles until the bear dropped dead in front of them.

I imagine that only a very few shots (maybe one or two) were lethal enough to kill the bear, but since I wasn't there I don't really know. I remember that the guy who told the story swore to never use any .338's and .375's for bear hunting again, and that he would use a .416 next time

Default klutina scare

we were puting final stalk on a grizzly. we were moving up a creek bed and it split into a y at base of mountain. we split up ,my brother and wess were going right i went left .the bear was within range from base of hill when we last spotted him. i was walking slowly and only took a few steps when i seen the bear 30yrds threw a stand of willows to my left,ihad my scope on 3 power i was shooting a s&w .338win. i did not want to take the facing on shot but looking at a bear 30yrds i felt confident, i aimed between the eyes,I dont no cause i was so close but the bullet went in low in the neck i started hollering for my brother only feet away threw the brush,the bear fell on butt then started bawling running full speed in cicles backwards from 25 yrds now talk about a rush! i put two mor rounds in his chest and still didn't go down thank god wess showed up wide eyed {this was his first bear hunt}he got a shot with a .300 ultra mag,while i was reloading the bear still at full run up creek bed, my brother finally was with us,he had back up gun and was not backing up very well. shot him in both front shoulders with a 470 nitro express talk about awsome .the bear reared up from impact still took a few steps and triped over a log.It all lasted but 60 seconds and the bear took five solid shots to vitals with large cailibers, but still managed to cause quite a scare. u should of seen what he tore up,and if wanted would have been able to tear us up.ive hunted bears most of my life and have seen them killed with a well placed shot with .243 and have taken a couple with a .30-06 and .300win, but will never go in a brushy stalk again with out a .338 or bigger. we recoverd the .470 bullit fully mushroomed,passed threw both shoulders and was on oppisite side under skin.here is the bear back at home.9'7"

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    we were puting final stalk on a grizzly. we were moving up a creek bed and it split into a y at base of mountain. we split up ,my brother and wess were going right i went left .the bear was within range from base of hill when we last spotted him. i was walking slowly and only took a few steps when i seen the bear 30yrds threw a stand of willows to my left,ihad my scope on 3 power i was shooting a s&w .338win. i did not want to take the facing on shot but looking at a bear 30yrds i felt confident, i aimed between the eyes,I dont no cause i was so close but the bullet went in low in the neck i started hollering for my brother only feet away threw the brush,the bear fell on butt then started bawling running full speed in cicles backwards from 25 yrds now talk about a rush! i put two mor rounds in his chest and still didn't go down thank god wess showed up wide eyed {this was his first bear hunt}he got a shot with a .300 ultra mag,while i was reloading the bear still at full run up creek bed, my brother finally was with us,he had back up gun and was not backing up very well. shot him in both front shoulders with a 470 nitro express talk about awsome .the bear reared up from impact still took a few steps and triped over a log.It all lasted but 60 seconds and the bear took five solid shots to vitals with large cailibers, but still managed to cause quite a scare. u should of seen what he tore up,and if wanted would have been able to tear us up.ive hunted bears most of my life and have seen them killed with a well placed shot with .243 and have taken a couple with a .30-06 and .300win, but will never go in a brushy stalk again with out a .338 or bigger. we recoverd the .470 bullit fully mushroomed,passed threw both shoulders and was on oppisite side under skin.here is the bear back at home.9'7"
    Quite a good read, and certainly scary for anybody to confront. Thanks for sharing.

Many, many AK brown bears have been taken with all kinds of bullets out of a 30 caliber chambering, so your choice will do the job...if you do your part by practicing and taking a good shot at a reasonable distance. A larger caliber will not compensate for poor shot placement.

My choice for brown bears has been and always will be a .375H&H with 270grn TSX handloads...it takes down brown bears real well.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by jager63 View Post
    I plan to use a .300 win mag loaded with 200 grain accubonds pushed right at about 3000 fps. for a Brownie hunt.
    Go forth and slay!

Smile +1 .375

Well, heres a link to a story from this forum where a .338 and .375 didnt bring down a kodiak brownie. Plenty of brownies killed with a .300wm but if its the hunt of a lifetime why not give yourself the best chance of success? Must be heartbreaking to lose a trophy after all that work. I like the .375 idea if you are going after big Kodiak browns!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=72196
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Accubonds?

I think I would load a 200 grain Swift A Frame or Nosler's 200 or 220 grain Partition before I used the Accubond. I think brown bears are more impressed with bullet weight and penetration then bullet speed.

I am looking at a 7ft 6in rug on the wall that the taxidermist had to do a lot sewing on after one shot each with a .300 win mag and 30-06. Then a frantic barrage of 5 shots to keep ourselves out of a Larry Kaniut book. I'm having a .416 and a .375 built this winter those critters can die hard.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I think I would load a 200 grain Swift A Frame or Nosler's 200 or 220 grain Partition before I used the Accubond. I think brown bears are more impressed with bullet weight and penetration then bullet speed.
    ProbLEE.

3000 fps might be more of a hindrance than a help. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You might also want to consider a Barnes TSX bullet. I've had a couple of hunters use them on brown bear with great performance out of a 300 WM. Both these hunters had also done a lot of shooting with that bullet before their hunt, and placed the bullets well. We recovered the bullets from both the bears, and they had functioned perfectly with nearly, if not all, weight retention.

I think a little may depend on the Brownie's attitude, I used a 30.06 with 1 - 200 grain accubond. Brown Bear dropped immediately.

Shot placement could have been the trick, or the bullet, maybe it was the bear deciding it was time to go? Either way, thankfully that combo worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast