Thread: Vacuum Sealers?

Default Vacuum Sealers?

Im not sure if this thread should be here or wherever but, I was wondering what everyones experiences have been with vacuum sealers? I have a Rival one that is 3-4 years old now and starting to wane, I was hoping to upgrade with the next one and but something that will last.

If you at all have the cash, do yourself a big favor and get a chamber vacuum sealer. Instead of sucking air out of a bag, they are sucking the air out of the entire chamber the bag is in. The thing with the everyday vacuum sealers that suck the air out of the bag is there will always be pockets of air that get sealed off and remain against your meat. This is not the case with a chamber sealer.
    You can also do wet things without having to worry about liquid or fish slime getting sucked into the seal. You can do soup, fish, burger, whatever you want. Bags are also considerably cheaper. I have used both types, and there is no comparison, other than the initial price.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    If you at all have the cash, do yourself a big favor and get a chamber vacuum sealer. Instead of sucking air out of a bag, they are sucking the air out of the entire chamber the bag is in. The thing with the everyday vacuum sealers that suck the air out of the bag is there will always be pockets of air that get sealed off and remain against your meat. This is not the case with a chamber sealer.
    You can also do wet things without having to worry about liquid or fish slime getting sucked into the seal. You can do soup, fish, burger, whatever you want. Bags are also considerably cheaper. I have used both types, and there is no comparison, other than the initial price.
    You can find them at Alaska Butcher's Supply in Anchorage.

That is what I am starting to lean toward the more research that I do. I worked in a packinghouse for a summer after highschool and we use cryovac machines and they worked awesome, I have use several bag suckers since and they, well frankly, they suck!

Of the non-chamber models the Cabelas professional model is head an shoulders above any of the food saver type machines. I actually like it better than some of the chamber models I have used. It is very fast and does a great job. The cheaper chamber models are rather slow. I would probably go for a fancier chamber if I had the cash, but it is hard to beat the Cabelas price and performance.

Had 2 food savors. Junk IMO. Got the small commercial grade vacuum sealer that looks like a food savor at Alaska Butcher Supply. Had it 5 years. Had the heat seal replaced once and had it cleaned once. Real cheap to service and quick They are awesome. I will get a chamber single some day.

Sam's Club in Anchorage had some chamber machines last fall for under $1000. We picked one up and it's been great, so far. We ran it for 4 straight hours one night when we packaged up the moose this year.

Default "disposable" food savers aren't that bad

Yes, food saver vacuum packers last a half dozen years or less, with heavy usage, in my experience. And they keep meat/fish good for up to a year, sometimes even more.

What more do you want?

A young person could die of old age not spending a grand on a series of food saver units during their entire life. I used a chamber unit once (for many hours), too, and was not overly impressed, either with its use or its preservation of food.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the foodsaver unit. It works well, here, and I use it quite a lot. Yay, tilia!

Yep, ditto FamilyMan's sentiments. I'm perfectly happy with my FS Turbo II unit. It does a lot of continuous duty with my dipnet take. You just need to follow the manufacturer's directions as far as allowing a minute cool down between each sealing operation. Not difficult at all if you plan your operation so that you have to do something else between each sealing.

The chamber sealers don't impress me and when you add in the price tag, I'll never buy one. I could buy a gun, two Food Savers, and a many years worth of sealing bags for that price.

If anything, the pro model (seen in Cabela's and currently on the shelf at Trustworthy for just under $400) would be a worthy unit. One of the biggest advantages is the wider seal on the bags.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i own the cabelas model model mentioned here (CG-15) and have used it for 3 years now...I rented the $1800 model chamber vac from ABS (sportsman's show price).......the cabelas model is not even close to what a chamber vac can do...the chamber vac pulls air out of the meat/fish...i was skeptical at first, but you can see it happen..

if a guy is only worried about moose and fish keeping from one season to the next, good old saran wrap and freezer paper works just as good as the suction packers....

I'm trying to justify getting one of the chamber vacs but it just doesn't pencil out....and for the same price it costs me to get the bags for my suction model I can rent a good sealer and buy the bags I need.....so I'll just rent the chamber for my fish and use saran wrap for my moose ....my cabelas model will just collect dust in the pantry unless someone wants to buy it...

here's the model i rented...absolutely no comparison between the cabelas model and this one....

http://www.alaskabutcherequip.calls....et/displayroom
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I just bought the Food Saver Stainless one from Costco this past season. I have used it on ground meat, loin meat, cube meat, salmon,flounder.
    It definitely wasn't what I was hopeing for. It worked a little better with the pluse button. It took most of air out of the thinner bags, but the fatter salmon and loin meat, left pockets of air that I was unable to push out even with useing it in pluse. I was looking at the Cabela's sealer but last minute ran out and bought the Foodsaver. Next time I'll save and upgrade to something better.
    Good Luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    if a guy is only worried about moose and fish keeping from one season to the next, good old saran wrap and freezer paper works just as good as the suction packers...
    Totally disagree. A properly used, "high end" Food Saver (don't even bother with their basic, single pump models) so far out does freezer paper that it isn't even funny. I've never had problems getting all the air out with the dual pump FS. The only weakness of the "high end" FS's is the skinny seal. But that said, the only packages I've had break are fish where there is a bone that escaped detection and pokes through the side of the bag. But routine checking of the freezer catches broken bags easy enough. You just use them first.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Foodsaver: buy two, they're cheap

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You just need to follow the manufacturer's directions as far as allowing a minute cool down between each sealing operation. Not difficult at all if you plan your operation so that you have to do something else between each sealing.
    For more than 10 years now I've had two FSs for exactly this reason. My older one just makes bags and my newer one sucks/seals. When the sucker/sealer gets tired after a bunch of years its demoted to being the bagmaker and I get a new FS to be the sealer.

Using two lets one man in your operation solely be the bagger, and its hard work for that person to keep both FSs busy, but doing so keeps up with the rest of the crew.

Funny FS story: About 10 or 15 years ago maybe I overworked my FS and it quit, deader than dead, about 10% of the way through an elk. Since it was midday I called the tilia guys to ask them how to fix it, and when they found out I was packaging an entire elk with it they said: "You can't vacuum pack an elk with that model of our vacuum packer, you need this more expensive model of ours instead... When I got done laughing at them (I'd done LOTS of game and fish with that lower end model) I ran out quickly and bought another FS. By the time I got home the first one's internal thermal switch had cooled to the point where it began working just as well as before. And I've had two ever since, rotating their use as described.

Default cheap foodsaver for sale in Anchorage

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/app/1605789926.html

If I didn't own two now I'd call this guy and offer him 40 - if its new-looking.