Thread: Powder Storage

Default Powder Storage

Will it hurt powder to be stored in below freezing temp if it is dry?

In the manuals I have seen they all recommend storing in cool, dry place. I wouldn't take the chance. I would think, I'm just guessing here, but eventually that powder would sweat when brought indoors to either use in reloading or when temps rise when you take the cartridge out to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Will it hurt powder to be stored in below freezing temp if it is dry?

GNG stores their powder that way...in a trailer outside.

Unopened and allowed to worm before opening I donít see a problem with powder or sealed ammo. Primers, primed brass, and unsealed ammo are another story.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Recommended storage is cool and dry. Freezing is cool. As already mentioned, with primers, powder or other moisture sensitive components, allow them to warm before opening the packaging or containers. They should be just fine. Even primers, if soaked in water, if allowed to completely dry, will still function. They're pretty reliable under adverse environments.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Here is what I meant by primers are another story, I’m not saying don’t do it but that there is a story. Primers are not as cut and dry as powder because they are an assembly of more than one thing so we should conceder how they react together in storage.

Primers are moisture tolerant and water is even part on the process of making them. The reason I wouldn't do it with primers, primed brass, or unsealed ammunition is the non moisture tight packaging can allow electro galvanic corrosion in dissimilar mettles to take place over time.

It’s not so much that they get damp but that the moisture can change the conductivity where two mettles (like the cup and anvil or cup and pocket) contact each other causing corrosion of the metals. This is like electroplating in reverse and leaches the alloys out of the base mettle weakening it like rust weakens steel.

It’s not likely to happen in one winter because of how few electrons are traveling in a primer but it does happen over time, I have seen it and it should be considered as a factor. It will happen in the house eventually also but the more humidity and temperature fluctuates the faster it will happen. If they are sealed you take moisture out of the equation and pretty well arrest the process.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona