Thread: ....6 months from today........

Thumbs up ....6 months from today........

......is August 10th.......

-I just had to post that-
    -lifted the spirits a bit, thinking about it-

-wanted to share-

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Wink harrupmfff

You are just teasing. I'm gonna go out and shoot a round on my course just to get even with you.

DS123 here I come.

Default thank you

AKsheep huntress. Its been a long winter. Even here in the lower (lesser??) 48.

Just remember - If Alaska were to be divided exactly into 2 halves and each given statehood - Texas would be the 3rd largest state.

Default August 10th...

...is my anniversary. Man did I goof up and pick that as a date to get married. My wife isn't into the outdoors, so sheep openers are going to be extremely rare for me.

Gonna be 13 years this time around, so I guess she's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    DS123 here I come.
    Are they giving away two of those this year, or are you buying the Governor's permit? I've already got permit #1 locked up for 123.

Thumbs up Aug vs Sept

Jerod,
    Missing out on Aug 10th rams is.....fine. Many quality rams get whacked in Sept. My six largest rams all got whacked after Sept 4th. My point is that the rams that become accessable in Sept were probably unaccessable in Aug. In addition, Sept ram hunts allow you, the hunter to sleep longer and allows for easier, cooler, meat care. But...Sept ram whacking does conflict with moose. Ahhh, the choices...

Dennis

Actually, my real plan is to do a point A to point B cross-country hike in July to scout out some sheep areas that I've seen legal rams in once or twice. If I find something, I'm hoping to be sitting on him on the 8th. If not, I'll likely be bowhunting moose on the 10th, as I have to be back to work on the 12th. All of that is subject to change when the drawing permit results come out, though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Jerod,
    Missing out on Aug 10th rams is.....fine. Many quality rams get whacked in Sept. My six largest rams all got whacked after Sept 4th. My point is that the rams that become accessable in Sept were probably unaccessable in Aug. In addition, Sept ram hunts allow you, the hunter to sleep longer and allows for easier, cooler, meat care. But...Sept ram whacking does conflict with moose. Ahhh, the choices...

Dennis
    is that whacked as in BLASTED? or whacked as in met ewe?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Actually, my real plan is to do a point A to point B cross-country hike in July to scout out some sheep areas that I've seen legal rams in once or twice. If I find something, I'm hoping to be sitting on him on the 8th. If not, I'll likely be bowhunting moose on the 10th, as I have to be back to work on the 12th. All of that is subject to change when the drawing permit results come out, though.
    How bad are the bugs if you get one in early August? I can't imagine field dressing a moose that early, with a few hundred of our little flying friends to keep me company.

I have my RUM dialed in. If all goes as planned I'm getting my brother to drag me up the hill this August, first and probably last time.

Default bugs

Working on a ram up in the rocks during an Aug killin is not nearly as bug-bad as working on a river-bottom moose would be...IF and WHERE it was legal to "HARVEST" a moose during Aug.

("My weakest apology to the forum-terminology-police for using the terms whack and killin.")

Back to Aug sheep kills...Generally, but not always, I have not needed bug dope to keep them biting flies away when hunting and bagging-up sheep, even as early as Aug 10th. But those BIG SSA Black Flies have driven me crazy on the warm/hot days...got to keep them fly eggs off the meat bags!

Funny how a simple thread titled .....6 months from today.....gets us hunters all perked up!

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    How bad are the bugs if you get one in early August? I can't imagine field dressing a moose that early, with a few hundred of our little flying friends to keep me company.
    I've only killed one moose in August, and it wasn't too bad. There were some bugs, but it wasn't unbearable.

Dennis - As to the "if" and "where", moose season opens up for bowhunting on August 10th in Units 14A, 14B, and 15...and maybe some others that I'm not aware of. I'd rather be in the sheep mountains, but with two days to hunt for the opening period, I may have to be looking for a spike instead.

Default spike is nice

That's all I want is a spike or fork, big ones look like too much work - especially in the 60 degree heat wave, where can i find one? Question, if you do happen to get a moose drawing, and you get a moose during harvest, can you still hunt the permit you won? I'm sure I can find this, but feeling lazy.

Exclamation No

Emers7mm,

No.

I like to break it up more than the 6mos out provides. I have ~1mo till drawing results. Then 2 weeks to get over the excitement of winning (or depression of losing). Then ~8-10 weeks till spring bear in the alpine which also happens to be the start of my workout routine and scouting season. I have at least 4-5 three plus day scouting trips and a mess of afternoon and weekend workout trips to get me up to Aug 10th. I too hope to have "my ram" located by mid July.
    Unfortunately I do NEED a moose, the 08 meat is about gone and the 09 goat will likely be right behind it... Perhaps I will draw an Elk tag which will certainly help and then there is always the haul road for a chance to whac.........er harvest a few bou (IF they up it to a 5 animal limit)

Default Brookes

Brookes Range, bow, already in training 5-6 nights a week. Dieting to no avail but building muscle like crazy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Brookes Range, bow, already in training 5-6 nights a week. Dieting to no avail but building muscle like crazy.
    Dave,

Moving all that snow in Valdez should keep you in shape for the season!