Thread: Bird Hunting in the Anchorage Bowl

Default Bird Hunting in the Anchorage Bowl

I moved up here this fall and still haven't been able to go chase birds. I'm hoping to get a day or two soon.

Question is this: are there any areas worth hunting around the Anchorage Bowl or is it better to head out of town. Or, would it be better to head out of town north of Wasilla or south towards the Kenai?

I'm not asking for honey hole information, just a general idea. I'm used to hunting Vermont/New Hampshire for Ruffed Grouse and I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my time sticking close to home.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I moved up here this fall and still haven't been able to go chase birds. I'm hoping to get a day or two soon.

Question is this: are there any areas worth hunting around the Anchorage Bowl or is it better to head out of town. Or, would it be better to head out of town north of Wasilla or south towards the Kenai?

I'm not asking for honey hole information, just a general idea. I'm used to hunting Vermont/New Hampshire for Ruffed Grouse and I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my time sticking close to home.

Thanks!
    Other than fort rich there is not a lot of quality small game hunting in the Anchorage Bowl. There was a big thread on "hunting out our backdoor" this winter and I learned that small game right around Anchorage was extremely limited in means of taking game and areas open to shooting. Having lived in this part of the state for such a long time I was surprised to learn about what you can't do here.

There are several good bird posts on here so search for those and you will have the answers you are looking for.

Talking

Thanks. I'm sorry, I should have done the search first before I asked the question. I agree about the things you can't do around here. Guess I'll be doing some driving!

I used to hunt above and behind Service High School when I was a kid and it was Service-Hanshew It was shotgun only back then, 30+ years ago. Man, time flys! I once knocked a spruce grouse out of a tree with my Buck folding knife.