Thread: moving OUT of Alaska - shipping items

Default moving OUT of Alaska - shipping items

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this, or if Global Discussion would be better, so I'll try it in both.

After 8 grand years up here, family "pressure" is requiring I move back to Albuquerque. From my research, it appears renting a tow dolly and pulling the Corolla behind our Jeep Cherokee is the cheapest means of getting the vehicles down there. But I could use some info as far as shipping household goods. I don't think we're keeping a whole lot, probably very little furniture, but will still have a good number of boxes, etc.

Anyone have first hand experience in doing this that can recommend (or otherwise comment on) any particular modes of transportation and/or companies in particular?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I'd strongly consider selling your second vehicle vs. towing it. When you look at the wear and tear on your Cherokee for towing such a long distance over major mountain passes as well as the extra fuel you'll be burning, you'll probably be dollars ahead selling here, and picking up a second vehicle down there.

If not, buy a wells cargo 14' trailer for the cherokee and put your houshold goods in there, and then drive the corolla down.

When we moved up 13 years ago, we bought a wells cargo for $3k, sold it when we got up here for $2k. U-haul wanted $2k just a rent one of there trailers. Get a second spare tire for the trailer.

Palmer, AK

I'm with Paul, get a small trailer that you can pull safely with the Heep. The 2nd car can be driven or sold; it ain't worth trying to tow it down. You'll save yourself money in the long run by getting a trailer and hauling your own stuff. The sale of the car will pay for the extra gas necessary to get it moved down.

When I moved up 4 years ago, I picked up a 18' V-nose enclosed international car hauler that I slept in and moved my possessions with. Sold it for 2k more than I paid in the lower 48 to someone PCS'ing outside.

Other options are to get a conex and pay a freight forwarder to ship it down for you. A co-worker has done that twice now with success while assisting family members.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'll not be towing the second car from what I'm hearing. I'll check out various shipping options and/or selling one or both vehicles.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.