Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safety - Warning, explicit picture

Default Gun Safety - Warning, explicit picture

Shot with a .45-70

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture.. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Owwwwww!!!!!

Talking oooooops.

That might leave a mark.

In all seriousness this is a good lesson to remind us to always treat a loaded gun like it could go off at any time. safety safety safety
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

So they leaned it on something while loaded with the hammer back?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Shot with a .45-70

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture.. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!
    Call that lucky? Lucky would be if he had been somewhere else that day!

I'll never ***** about kidney stones again! Yowser!

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Shot with a .45-70...
    He lucky all right. Lucky he wasn't shot with a 340 Wby!

I'm just kidding everyone!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Call that lucky? Lucky would be if he had been somewhere else that day!

I'll never ***** about kidney stones again! Yowser!
    Yup, that's the hard way to do a penetration test . . . gonna heart for years.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Some people aren't sufficiently safety conscious to handle firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Some people aren't sufficiently safety conscious to handle firearms.
    Kinda brings the whole carrying hot debate into clarity, eh?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

WOW! What a lucky guy

Never let the muzzle cover anything that you don't want to kill, unloaded or otherwise. Imagine being on a float trip 7 days from help and no satellite phone.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my kids just got a lesson
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Kinda brings the whole carrying hot debate into clarity, eh?
    Sure everyone that keeps a loaded chamber loves to rack the hammer back and lean the gun on an ATV reedy to rock then stand on the ATV over the muzzle. That's why the odds of making it home from the Sandpit are so low since the military is dumb enough to pack thousands of weapons hot. Get real!

I bet he knew for a fact it was empty before he set it down, that’s the story I always here. “But it was empty.” Sorry, no such critter as an empty gun in my book!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My Dad used to say "empty guns kill people" because way to many people do stupid things with them when they think they are unloaded. I have never had a problem with carrying hot but the safety on and carried like it's loaded sure helps. 2. Never let the muzzle cover ANYTHING your not willing to destroy. I hate to see stuff like this happen as it sure makes us "gun nuts" look bad and tends to support the opinion that some people should not have firearms.

rbuck I debated whether or not to post this just because of what you said about it making us gun nuts look bad. In the end I felt that if it helped one person carry a rifle more safely, it was worth posting.

An earlier post on this thread said something about my kids just got a lesson in gun safety. That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish, for kids as well as adults. The photograph should get through to all of us.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Well worth posting

I think this was well worth posting, sometimes graphics do the best job communicating the reality of the situation, the warning on the post title was done well and adequate.

Good post. Leaning a rifle against anything is never a good choice in my book. Lay it flat or keep it shouldered or in hand.

Definitely worth posting and thanks for doing it. We all need reminders of why we must be diligent. I never lean a gun on anything either, just not smart. I like to open the action before I set it down or even hand it to someone.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Although basic, this is a good reminder of the steps you should take before handling or parting with any firearm:

PROVE the firearm is safe:
    Point the firearm in a safe direction
    Remove all ammunition
    Observe the chamber
    Verify the feeding path
    Examine the bore

This makes me think of hunting trip that I went on when I was younger. I was invited to go along as a fill in so felt a little like the odd man out. There was a guy in this hunting party that was absolutely reckless with the manner in which he handled his gun. He swung that gun past my head a couple of times and I did what I thought was the polite thing to do at the time and under the circumstances, I kept my yap shut. When in reality that was the exact wrong thing to do. Nobody has a right to be careless with a gun and all gun owners are responsible for taking action to correct those kinds of situations when they present themselves. I do now!

This thread is a good wake up call......I bet that guy thought that could never happen to him! One just can't be safe enough!

Default Let's see,

the responses so far have stated that, of course, there was a round in the chamber, the hammer was back AND, oh yeah, the safety was OFF. I feel bad for the guy, I really do, but the word STUPID really shows in neon. This goes beyond just safety, when everything was done wrong. Maybe that's why I hunt alone. Couldn't be my cranky nature....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast