Thread: What is the smallest kicker

Default What is the smallest kicker

I have a 19ft jetcraft adventurer that has a dry weight of 1200lbs I have a 50 honda on it so I am always try to watch my weight. I would like to get a kicker for trolling and would like to hear what people think what would be the smallest that I could get and still get some speed out of it if I had to use it as a back-up. Thanks

Not apples to apples but I had an 18 foot Klamath with a 70 horse 2 stroke and an 8 horse 2 stroke for a kicker. This package weighs a lot less than yours. The 8 horse pushed it great. I suspect that a motor in this class would work well for you, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default I agree with the 8 Hp

I think an 8 Hp is as small as you will want to go. I had new 4 stroke 6 Hp, also on an 18' Klamath, and it was marginal at best. I tried a 15 Hp two stroke on the same boat and it was great. Get a twin cylinder as they are much smoother. If you are just looking for a backup motor a 15 hp two stroke will weigh much less than an 8 hp four stroke. I wouldn't want to use a two stroke for trolling though, especially if you already have a 50 Hp four stroke main. So look at an 8 - 9.9 HT four stroke or a 9.9 - 15 two stroke depending on your preference and what you will really use it for.

I have a five honda on my 21ft seark it pushes it pretty good.

Default 9.9hp High Thrust Honda verses 8hp High Thrust Honda

On my 22' Bayliner the 8hp pushed me the exact same speed as the 9.9 and weight was 20 punds less

I run a Yamaha T8 high thrust 8 hp 4 stroke on a 23' Alumaweld Super V and it performs great, even in strong current

Default I learned something on here about kickers...

awhile back and it bears (bares?) repeating: once you get up to displacement hull speed (as fast as the boat goes before it starts to lift) then extra horsepower will not go much if any faster, because the extra power just pushes up a wall of water in front of the hull. Of course, with lots of extra power you can plane and then go real fast. So, I don't know how you figure it (displacement hull speed), but from lots of posts on this in the past, it seems that 8-9.9 hp high-thrusts (that comes from the prop, not the motor, I believe) seem to be the ticket for trolling, and maybe 15hp is max for backup before you are wasting a lot gas and power pushing a wall of water with the hull, and be only a little faster than the smaller kickers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Hand your buddies some swim fins, and tell them to... KICK in for the gas
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I run a 9.9 Suzuki on a 22' hard top Thunderjet. The kicker weighs 97# and works perfect. My dad runs a 6 hp Suzuki on a 21' soft top Duckworth. The 6 hp weighs only 57# but lacks a little power when trying to keep the boat straight in the wind.

I have a Yamaha 4hp kicker. It's on a 16ft North River, and is ok for trolling, but that's about it. It's not that powerful. I would definately go bigger next time. It's four stroke, but because it's only one cylinder, it is very loud.

Default NO

Ryan - I am not wearing swim fins and pushing your boat.

Not even with paddles.

Cabelas has a nice super light (30 pounds) - 3.5 horse Zuki for 660$........

you only need to go about 6 mph for trolling - take the hourse off your $5K 50 horse and put it on that little 3.5.....

That's a good point about displacement hull speed. At some point, bigger is not necessarily better for kicker motors, but what I wonder is if you have to use your kicker to get you someplace when you're moving upwind or upcurrent then would that be a time when bigger is actually better? Maybe in that scenario it might mean the difference between just being able to hold you boat in place vs. actuallly making headway. Anyone have any experience like that?