Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you intervene?

Default Would you intervene?

I just got done reading a great book that I'm sure that many of you have read, "Wild men, Wild Alaska" What a wonderful book!!!

Anyway, Rocky relays one story of watching from a zodiac where a grizzly was chasing down a cow with a calf and at one point they entered the water and he could have intervened but ethics prevented it and I think that he mentioned that there may be a law regarding it as well.

Got me to thinking, How many of you would have stop the bear? Why or why not.

Please, no fighting or name calling

I wouldn't intervene. That's just animals behaving they way they were designed to behave. Intervening in that situation would mean it's also acceptable to stop a hunter from taking an animal. It's just predator and prey, and the "nature of the beast".

Great book, by the way. I read that a few years ago in Iraq.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

If I was hunting bear at the time, yes.

If it was in an area with high predator kills on the moose population and the bear was in season, yes.

Same answer if I seen wolves doing the same thing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NOPE, nature has to survive too, bears eat moose, thats part of life. things have to survive it. Then again i dont buy into ALL bears and wolfs are bad either.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'd intervene only if I could legally take the bear, and it was the bear I wanted.

But I'd watch the whole thing unfold with rapt attention! Just one big episode of Wild Kingdom in the raw. It would be fascinating stuff!

I agree on the if I had a tag folks. I wonder if it would be ok to salvage the calf if you harvested the bear after the kill..... 2-fer?

Without a tag then the only interference they would get from me would be the clickety-clak of my camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I'd intervene only if I could legally take the bear, and it was the bear I wanted.

But I'd watch the whole thing unfold with rapt attention! Just one big episode of Wild Kingdom in the raw. It would be fascinating stuff!
    Totally agree. If I had a tag, the season was open, it was a bear I wanted to take, then yes I would intervene but in my mind it wouldn't really be intervening. I would take the bear regardless of what it was doing at the time. Otherwise the bear has the right to eat and nature is cruel, despite what PETA wants people to believe.

I'd take out the camera and catch what few people have ever seen.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Only if I had a tag, season was open and it was blonde with chocolate boots.

Thumbs up

Yes, I would intervene. You can't just let Mother Nature Run Plumb Wild.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Smile

Well, its natural and all that but I probably would try to scare the bear away cause I tend to want to help the underdog. This weekend I scared away a couple of dogs that were harassing a moose. I know its not as natural as the bear, but same idea. I read about some guys that shot a brown bear in Kodiak as it was stalking a mother with cubs and I thought that was cool too. Just natural and happens everyday, but I just like to see them get away once in a while………
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, I would intervene. You can't just let Mother Nature Run Plumb Wild.

Ok Wally. Simmer down.

If I had a tag and it was the bear I wanted I would take the bear. As others have said if not, get out the camera and start recording the video and sound. Marlin Perkins would love it. See folks. Watch jim move in and shoot video of the bear killing this moose. Umm Jim, Jim look out. Oh my god Jimmmmmmm. Marlin turns to the producers,,,, Did you get all on film boys
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The act of a bear taking a moose in modern times is more natural than man taking the same moose. I also accept rain and snow as part of the big plan

I concur that if it were legal etc. I would take the bear. If it were a wolf, and I was legal to shoot it, but the hide was in some manner clearly unusable, I probably would still be inclined to “intervene” as well even though I would not be able to use the hide (please be kind while telling me what a rotten person I am).
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

i think intervening would constitute "interfering with a legal hunt", and thus be illegal.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Dead bear

Pretty clear.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Interesting Question and answers

So, should we assume that those who wouldn't intervene, don't support predator control?

I intervened 20 years ago a cow and ruddy brown calf ran onto a trail in front of me, shortly followed by a long legged brown bear. I sped up and got right on the brownies butt he turned to see what was chasing him. He almost flipped himself over. The cow and calf ran off the trail left and the bear ran right he might have got them later but not that moment. I'm lucky he did not turn on me but it happened quick and I never thought twice about it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

+1 Hopefully I had a video cam.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'd take out the camera and catch what few people have ever seen.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    So, should we assume that those who wouldn't intervene, don't support predator control?
    why would "we" assume that?
    it seems that some would take the bear if it were open and they legally could, but some folks would just watch, because watching the natural drama of predator/prey is really cool and not something you see every day.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast