Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacker Magazine hunting trips

Default Backpacker Magazine hunting trips

Well it is winter and I am down range. As much as I hate dropping $$ into an org that is fighting to lock up more land in refuges and preserves I still find myself looking forward to the latest issue of Backpacker Mag... I was reading through the March issue which has a number of great budget hiking trips arround AK. Then it hit me, some of these trail guide articles would make perfect hunting trips!
    SO, I am going to make it a personal mission to hunt as many backpacker mag trips in AK as I legally can. My plan is to scoure their website and back issues to plan as many trips as possible based on their carefully articulated instructions then post up a hunt report about the adventures in complete detail. Obviously with work and the like it unlikely that I will get through all the possible trips so in the spirit of a hunting board I would encourage others to do likewise. Now since these trails have been published in an international mag I hope that we can see full disclosure too include a reference to the volume of BM and title of the article that provided the incentive, after all we have to give credit where credit is due.

***Pleas note "Backpacker Magazine" is a trademark of Active Interest Media (though I think BM is OK) who owns all rights to stories and articles within their pages and website so please do not cut and paste or otherwise plagerize any of their copyrighted material

Have fun, and I look forward to the trip reports!

Default wow

What a great idea. Glad to see that someone is going to use them for some good. I hate to admit it but I find myself in the same position as you.

Great idea. Seems a hundred years ago they had an story asking if backpackers should carry handguns. Maybe you could write a story about backpackers packing hunting rifles...bet you get lots of responses!

Default carry

This backpacker loves to carry his hunting rifle. It's true sometimes backpackers reveal details about backcountry haunts that a hunter wouldn't. That beautiful band of rams that they admired so, just couldn't possibly be molested by any human. Water sources, camp sites, routes, access, ect..........we've got plenty to learn from our fleet footed green friends. Many of the great gear I use is developed by the hiking industry.

I kinda think of myself as a backpacker.......I'm just skilled at hauling out huge loads.

Whats that saying.......Go in light, come out heavy.

so be sure everyone is reading a different issue..otherwise we'll all be on the same trail!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well it is winter and I am down range. As much as I hate dropping $$ into an org that is fighting to lock up more land in refuges and preserves I still find myself looking forward to the latest issue of Backpacker Mag... I was reading through the March issue which has a number of great budget hiking trips arround AK. Then it hit me, some of these trail guide articles would make perfect hunting trips!
    SO, I am going to make it a personal mission to hunt as many backpacker mag trips in AK as I legally can. My plan is to scoure their website and back issues to plan as many trips as possible based on their carefully articulated instructions then post up a hunt report about the adventures in complete detail. Obviously with work and the like it unlikely that I will get through all the possible trips so in the spirit of a hunting board I would encourage others to do likewise. Now since these trails have been published in an international mag I hope that we can see full disclosure too include a reference to the volume of BM and title of the article that provided the incentive, after all we have to give credit where credit is due.

***Pleas note "Backpacker Magazine" is a trademark of Active Interest Media (though I think BM is OK) who owns all rights to stories and articles within their pages and website so please do not cut and paste or otherwise plagerize any of their copyrighted material

Have fun, and I look forward to the trip reports!
    Great Idea! In a similar vein when I need a piece of quality gear and REI is my only choice I like to talk to the long-haired crystal worshippers about how all their great hiking and camping gear helps me hunt in the mountains...where I commune with nature while practicing minimum impact camping and engage in photography, wildlife viewing and other non-consumptive activites...in addition to acquiring some hormone/antibiotic free, low fat, free-range protein.

Default Stay out of Enviro Stores

I have given up trying to go into a REI Store. I can't get past the bumper stckers on cars in the lot. I have made it a habit of looking at their corporate giving program - quite revealing on who and what they donate to. It is no stretch to write that YOUR money is being used to STOP your activities. Ditto with The North Face and many of the advertisements you find in BM magazine. Come to think of it, "bm" is short for something else!

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Come to think of it, "bm" is short for something else!
    Judging by this thread I'm thinking B*tch and Moan.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default You got it wrong.

Try again hippie, a little research goes a long way.

I stopped reading Backpacker years ago because every article was so blatantly just kowtowing to their advertisers, and the trails were so well known, they became a guidebook of areas to avoid. Good luck with that hunt
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    I have given up trying to go into a REI Store. I can't get past the bumper stckers on cars in the lot. I have made it a habit of looking at their corporate giving program - quite revealing on who and what they donate to. It is no stretch to write that YOUR money is being used to STOP your activities. Ditto with The North Face and many of the advertisements you find in BM magazine. Come to think of it, "bm" is short for something else!

I went into REI awhile back, and my jaw about hit the floor. On the wall of "employees in action", there was about a half dozen pics of them hunting!

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default That's good to read.

Assuming you hail from AK., that is a good sign. Down here, these stores have a complete different employee and customer base. I choose to spend my dollar at stores who don't stick their politics and environmentalism in your face.

Default No worries...

...methinks that the percentage of hunters these days who think "backpack hunt" and then think "no way" is high enough that any Backpacker Mag articles ain't gonna really influence things. And if it did, it may even help, Lujon, so thanks for the tip <grin>.

As far as the "long haired crystal worshippers" Erik mentioned...I have to say I think it's kinda funny how folks generalize about others who may or may not be consumptive users.

At our peril, we denigrate the backpackers, the REI staff, who likely have more in common with our views than those who don't get out in the woods.

Just a thought,

I have been in to REI and talked sheep hunting with one of the employees this past year. He took one look at me and knew exactly what I was shopping for. He also used deodorant and was quite a pleasant guy.
    Mark, I am hoping that over the next decade that changes and more young hunters look to a somewhat extreme version of this "sport". While I don't think every one will become a "Buck Nelson" I do believe that there will be an increase in backpack hunters in the future.

On the subject of REI, I gotta put in a vote of confidence. Every time I've been there the folks have known their stuff inside and out. I've also noticed the pictures of employees hunting up on the wall.

Plus...you can't beat that return policy

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    ...methinks that the percentage of hunters these days who think "backpack hunt" and then think "no way" is high enough that any Backpacker Mag articles ain't gonna really influence things. And if it did, it may even help, Lujon, so thanks for the tip <grin>.

As far as the "long haired crystal worshippers" Erik mentioned...I have to say I think it's kinda funny how folks generalize about others who may or may not be consumptive users.

At our peril, we denigrate the backpackers, the REI staff, who likely have more in common with our views than those who don't get out in the woods.

Just a thought,
    Hey Mark they have several bandana clad pierced eyebrow types working there too!

But I agree with you that backpackers and backpacking hunters do share some common ground

Categorizing people can lead to false assumptions. I went to college in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Judging by my hair length and what I wore people often mistook me for a hippie; nothing could have been further from the truth. I was simply cheap (haircuts cost money I could spend on women and beer) and while clean I was not very concerned or vain about my looks. Between going to classes I hunted, fished, rode my motorcycle, drank a lot of beer, and chased a lot women, and never had a problem with any of those pursuits. I had no money to speak of but still it was the best time of my life.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Heck, if REI and Beaver Sports sold rifles I'd never go anywhere else... I wish the staff in Sportsmans' understood their product half as well as those at REI.

Seriously though- categorizing other outdoors users is pointless... people are a lot more complicated than a label, even the ones with bumper stickers trying to label themselves.

I'm a backpacker/hiker during the off season and sometimes during. I'm a skier in the winter and recently a "ski-hunter". I'm a snowshoer. I like to fish sometimes. A bike rider. I've ridden ATVs and snowmachines in the past and could again in the future. Lots of days I just like taking the dog for a long walk through the woods.

Come to think of it maybe we're all just "outdoorsmen" and that's enough lable for me.

Backpackinglight tends to be quite tolerant of hunting related discussion. As a matter of fact, I'd say a lot of the moderators are pro hunting, even if many forum members are lukewarm on hunting, at best.

It's a great site to check out for lightweight backpacking gear ideas. I make use of the Reader Reviews a lot, like this section on ultralight tents.

Buck,

I agree. I frequent the Backpacking Light site quite often. Learned a lot of good info. Their "Gear Deals" section can get ya into trouble though. And I agree about that site being very tolerant to hunting. Heck you should have seen the thread on what side arm you carry when backpacking. No doubt one of the best collection of handguns to be found.

Oh yeah and I was quite impressed to see all the hunting pics found at REI as well.

As far as picking a trail to hunt from. That sounds like a lot of fun. However, 90% of my backpack hunting isn't on a trail to begin with. Granted I did do a hike/hunt on one of the trails on the Kenai this fall just to mix it up though. But you likely won't find me hunting any trail mentioned in backpacking mags or hunting mags for that matter. I guess I prefer game trails to state and fed maintained trails for hunting. I look forward to the hunt reports from those that do though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast