Thread: Savage accu-trigger

Default Savage accu-trigger

I am going to (more than likely) be investing in a Savage model 116FLSS in .338 caliber. Since I'm left handed this is about the only factory model in a heavy caliber I can afford. It's not that I have any beef against Savage, because I don't. I own several Savage rifles that I would never part with. I just find it strange that they are the only ones offering a rifle that fits my needs for a price the working man can afford....(That might change but for now this is the plan). This rifle/caliber is only available with the accu-trigger. My question is this: Has anyone used the accu-trigger in the field? and... what are your experiences?
    I have read positive reports in gun magazines on the accu-trigger, but not from anyone who has needed to depend on one on a day-to-day basis.
    I was not sure which forum to post this on, but I decided that since the question was based on performance in the field it fit into the "hunting forum" best.
    If anyone has any advice/opinions/experiences, I would like to hear them. I want to make the best choice... even if it means I have to earn the extra bucks for a ????? brand....

Posting pics on here ain't that hard... I can do it on a friday night just after work with a martini bout gone!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Savage

Rueben

I have a 300 WSM Savage LH with the accu-trigger and have had no problems with it. Only had it a couple years now but its been great in the field so far. I was in the same situation as you looking for a .338 LH for a reasonable price. I ended up with a ruger RH .338 because I got a really good deal on it. Growing up I always had RH rifles anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

I got the 16FLSS in 223 the first year it came out with the Accutrigger, whenever that was. Thousands of rounds through it blowing up sod poodles and coyotes in the Southwest. Works really well off a rest for deliberate shooting, but also for quick shots. Wouldn't have it any other way, but haven't picked it up yet in any larger caliber.

If my experience means anything, you can relax about Savage quality and accuracy. Even after so many rounds, that little 223 still drops just about any factory load into groups under an inch @ 100 yards. My pet handloads still hover on either side of half an inch. What more could you ask in a lightweight sporter, especially at that price?

The accutrigger is the best factory trigger avaliable on any rilfe made today. Zero problems with it. Nice light crisp break.

Agree with the rest. I have the el-cheapo .223 and have taken a truckload or so of sod rats and gophers. The trigger is fantastic.

Default Accu-Trigger

I have had my 116 in .270 for 2 seasons now. It has been a very reliable, and enjoyable weapon to shoot. I have used it on a couple 'bou and Dall Sheep hunts. The weapon has worked flawlessly. The Accu-Trigger was the best idea from a factory on a factory rig, that I can think of.

Default Thanks guys......

You have helped assuage my worries!!! y'like that word! I am a big fan of Savage, but the accu-trigger just looks a bit delicate.... I'll take your guys word that it'll get the job done!!!

Default Savage 116

I have a Savage 116 in 338 with an Accu trigger and love it. I have taken a moose and grizz with it. For what you pay the Accu trigger is the best factory trigger. I have two Rugers and I put aftermarket triggers (Timiney) in both. Happy hunting!!!