Thread: First attempt at a recurve!

Default First attempt at a recurve!

Well, I got it done and it shoots really well! This is a 52" NTN, unbacked Red Oak board bow pulling 30# @ 24" that I built for a friend's 12 yo son in Washington. It took a few attempts, but I finally figured out that directly boiling the limbs for 45 minutes softened them enough to shape them for the recurve. The black area near the handles are where I toasted the back slightly while it was clamped in reflex. It started with about 3" of reflex after the toasting, but after tillering it came out about even and has held there.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I hope the kiddo likes it!

And here it is freshly unstrung -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A couple more -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Looks great!!

Very nice! What did you use for tip overlays and the handle? Been looking through the books at building a jig to clamp the curves, what did you use? Again nice work, I'm sure the kid will love it.

Well done Rob!.....BTW boil time is about 30 minutes per half inch of thickness for most species. That goes for fishing nets, furniture, snowshoes whatever your trying to form bend.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

great stuff. tiller looks great!

Wish you were closer, I have JD Jones step by step doing a static recurve, bending and all! Some great stuff on there. I'd burn you a copy but who knows when I'll be down that way! Soon I hope!

another way to get more performance out of an all wood bow...is to build it, tiller it as a straight limb....THEN back it into a R/D or whatever profile. It'll pull most of the string follow out and end up holding more reflex. Got this from the fella building Rons supershrew golds. It's kind of a guess how much weight to take it too before you back it obviously as you're going to add more weight with the backing. He said once you got it down (and supposidly it's quite easy), you'll never look back at the standard method of building. Dunno...just passing it along!

Nice looking bow and the toasty spots just add to the character of the bow.

Very nice Rob! I guarantee there is going to be a happy 12 year old running around the woods of Washington soon. Where were you when I was 12???
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page