Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "go to" call

Default "go to" call

Well boys I'm officially going through with drawls as I'm sure the rest of you are. Shooting flying snowballs (ptarms) just doesn't cut it.

Wondering what everyone's favorite or go to call is come September 1st. I've been looking at some of the Duck commander calls online and wondering if anyone has had good or bad with them. Thanks for all your input guys.

Only a shade under 7 months guys, hang in there.

-Helmuth

I've said it once and I will say it again. The Haydel DR-85, it's cheap and a really great sounding duck call. I have recommended this call to a lot of my friends and they all love them. I started out with this call and still always carry one in my pocket. I use an Echo Meat Hanger as my double reed and a RNT for my single reed. Both are also great calls.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I've said it once and I will say it again. The Haydel DR-85, it's cheap and a really great sounding duck call.
    agree, great call and easy to use
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I own over 20 calls but the first one I bought nearly 15 years ago is still the best all around go-to any day. It is the Duck Commander Classic Commander DC200. I own several other DC calls as well but if I could only take one call to the blind it is the DC 200 hands down. If I for some reason could not carry one of my DC calls; Haydel would be my second choice (I own several of them as well). Them LA boys can make some awesome calls!

Little off topic but-The best instructional CD I ever puchased is Duckology 101 by the Duck Commander.

I bought one of duck commander's "instructional DVDs" and all it turned out to be was a commercial for thier other calls. It was horrible. All they did was talk about how kids these days play nintendo, and showcase all thier other calls. I can't remember the name of the dvd, but it didn't show much on how to call ducks. I ended up buying the buck gardner pack with an instructional cd, which helped a lot more. I do own two duck commander calls, their drake mallard call and one of thier 7 in one calls, which work pretty well.

I have two calls that I reach for. My el sheapo echo double reed call (my favorite) and a DC brown sugar call for soft calling situations. I had a haydell DR-85, and it is cheap, but i thought it lovked up once it got a littel wet from saliva. I also thought it sounded a little high pitched to me. One other down side to that call was it wasnt that durable either.

Smile My go to Call

is a Knight and hale Bachlorette. It is a chepo but even down in the open marshes of Louisiana it has proven itself. had to try 4-5 at Bass Pro to get a good sounding one, but it has just the right amount of volume. It is a quieter call that seems to bring the ducks in like no other call i have on my lanyard. It is ia call I won't ever take off or leave the house without. I have dunked it and no problems.

My prefered call is what ever Otterbefishing is using when we go hunting together. Otherwise I should be not seen and not heard.

But if I do have to be heard then I use a hand made call by a guy in Iowa out of myrtle wood I had been carting around for decades. Before that it was a simple RNT hunter. I stick to simple feed chuckles and quacks.

I rely mostly on Echo calls for my double reeds. The cheap ones are by far the best of the line. I also carry a DC Mallard drake call, a Morwhistle, a DC Gadwall call, and a Big River goose flute. I've got piles of calls in a box somewhere at the house, but they're mostly just ones that I bought, tried, and put away.

The Haydel DR-85 is definitely a meat call and will always be one of the top rated calls out there. Like said before though, they're cheap and they don't hold up to spit or being sat on!

Default Primos timber wench

The Primos Timber wench is my favorite call I have gotten numerous compliments from other hunters of how great it sounds. I have used this same call for about 10 seasons now and it never fails. I have bought other calls to add into the mix I have a RNT and a duck commander but the Primos is my main call.

I generally try not to sit on my duck calls, although I have had the dog lay on them, while I am walking around trying to figure out where I left my calls. I think he does that kind of stuff on purpose.

I use Quackhead calls. Their Double J is a good one. I also like DJ Illinois River Valley Calls. They are basically P.S. Olt calls. For ducks I go with the Sonderman 66. I also use the Cornfield Clucker for geese. I have used several DC calls and they are okay, but the DJ calls are nicer.

My main go-to goose call is, believe it or not, a Lohman's Gold Series plastic POS that I paid $5 for. It sounds awesome. Really raspy and goose-like.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

+1 for the Primo's Timber wench.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Thanks for bringing up nice thoughts and discussion to this stuff

Koh samui villa

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Illusion Systems

My go to call for multi-purpose!

[QUOTE=AK Ray;667862]My prefered call is what ever Otterbefishing is using when we go hunting together. Otherwise I should be not seen and not heard.

The call Ray is referring to is an "Iverson", made by a guy by that name in northern California. I got the call there in the early 70's. Great sound, both come back and feeding, even does the mallard whistle pretty good. Only draw back to the call is that it is wooden and therefore will break a little when blowing hard when it's real wet. I always make an effort to keep it as dry as I can. I don't know if the call is still being made or not?
    Jesse

Iverson calls are still being made/sold, as far as I know.

My number one duck is an RNT Shortbarrel (single reed)...love that thing. For geese, a Foiles Cackler.
    What seems to work the best though is when I say "lets pickup the dekes".
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I think AK DUX just nailed the perfect call. It never fails! When I am picking up dekes, I look up just in time to see a flock of birds flying over, and of course my shotgun is sitting on my chair. Also taking a leak with your waders down and your shotgun sitting next to a tree seems to work pretty well too.

Hey Duckslayer56...don't forget the Marlboro call you introduced me to. Everytime you'd take a break for a cigarette a duck would come out of no where...seems to work pretty good too

Default Go to call

Kuma's calls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast