Thread: yugo m48 reciever strength

Default yugo m48 reciever strength

I have a unissued m48 reciever. I have looked around the net and can't find much info on the strength of the reciever. I was wondering if it is strong enough to handle the high pressures generated by the wsm cartridges. I was thinking of a nice 358 type wildcat. Would I need to heat treat it? If so where would be a good place down here in the lower 48.

Default It's as strong as...

pretty much any other M98 surplus type action with the benefit of not having been beat, bashed, and abused, and suffering from mixed bolts/parts.
    Practically, though, you might consider one of the commercial type rifles and convert it. If you shop, you can most likely find something with the right bolt face, magazine, be already stocked, possibly scoped, and all for less than you'll spend on doing all this to the rifle you have. Something to consider.
    It's been an awfully long time since I lived in Montana, so most of my old gunsmith contacts have gone to the great range in the sky, BUT, I recently had the folks at Montana Rifle Co. in Kalispell put a rifle together for me, and am quite happy with the results.
    You might also look through the forum for threads on the 358 Nukalpiaq, developed by a couple of distinguished members here.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 02-10-2010 at 07:13. Reason: ..

Default As the Honorable Mr. Walton said:

the Moisin-Nagant action is certainly strong enough for such a cartridge, but is it practical and worth the expenditure to do so. If you've got some extra money (HA!) floating around, it might be more worthwhile to use a more standard bolt action for the conversion, a commercial or M98 type action with a better safety system, better trigger, better action shape for scope mounting, better magazine system, etc.

The M48 is a Mauser not a Mosin.

Pass on the conversion.

I googled 35-375 Ruger one day and it led me to this forum. I read about the Nukalpiaq for quite awhile then eventually there was no more info on it. Since I was just reading as a visitor I thought maybe if I joined the forum I would be able to find more info. New info seems to have dried up right now. I would like to see load data and a general summary one day. I am sure the performance is beyond the .358 norma mag.
    Back to the yugo m48.
    The barrel on the previously mentioned reciever was cut off with a hack saw so I am not worried about the collector value of the firearm. I am a boilermaker by trade so I am fairly handy with tools, don't get me wrong though I am not a gunsmith by anymeans. I am sure I could cut and reweld the bolt and do all the forming myself. I could also do a drill and tap job for the scope bases. With a little help from a friend I can also install a aftermarket trigger with a safety. I would need someone else to install the barrel, open the bolt face, chamber the barrel, rework the feedrails, heat treat if needed, and square the action. I was planning a stainless barrel so there shouldn't be any blueing to be done. I know this is still a lot of extra work but it would make a rifle a little different than the norm and sometimes that is not so bad. As far as the stock goes I have been looking for a reason to try a inletting project for awhile anyway. I think the cost of this project should still be within my means, and am only concerned about the reciever strength. Thoughts are appreciated guys and thank you.

After reading that last post I put up I think I may have been suffering from temporary insanity. Must have been bitten hard by the gun bug. If I simply chambered it for .358 Winchester it should cut that work load in half right? No feed problems? No reciever strength issues? No bolt face modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
    I read about the Nukalpiaq for quite awhile then eventually there was no more info on it. Since I was just reading as a visitor I thought maybe if I joined the forum I would be able to find more info. New info seems to have dried up right now. I would like to see load data and a general summary one day. I am sure the performance is beyond the .358 norma mag.
    Murphy and Nukalpiaq jointly built it and Murphy is back from his travels so if you post a new thread on it I bet he will be happy to jabber about it. I have not seen Nukalpiaq on for some time and am now wondering what is up with him. I bet heís just making a living but donít know.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
    After reading that last post I put up I think I may have been suffering from temporary insanity. Must have been bitten hard by the gun bug. If I simply chambered it for .358 Winchester it should cut that work load in half right? No feed problems? No reciever strength issues? No bolt face modifications?
    Affirmative! I've got a Yugo 24/47 (same as your M48) that is waiting for a 358 Win barrel. Shaw Barrels will make you a short chambered barrel for a good price. Frankly, if Shaw made a 9.3 diameter barrel, I'd go with a 9.3x57, which would fill up the magazine better than a 358 Win. But, I've always wanted the 358.

As long as your receiver was attached to a barrel and not "in the white", you won't need to heat treat. As far as altering the bolt handle, either send it to a gunsmith, or make sure you use a bolt heat sink and plenty of heat paste to prevent softening the lugs on the bolt.

Go with a Timney trigger with the side safety and you'll be happy with the results.

Thank you for the reply.. I wonder if the 9.3x57 would have an over all length problem loaded with the larger and longer .366 bullets in the slightly shorter m48 reciever? I think I will just do what you did and run with the 358 winchester. Thanks again.

Default .358 Win an excellent choice!`

As would the .35 Whelen, if there's room in the magazine for it. Not sure that there is.
    Not a .35, but in the ballpark would be the .338 Federal.
    Check the Adams & Bennett barrels on Midway for the Mausers. I've used a couple of 'em and they're NOT terrible barrels, especially when you consider that they're contoured, threaded, and short chambered, and then look at the price. I bought a .35 Whelen barrel from them on a 'special', at $63.95 and some shipping. Something to consider.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=546547
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 02-12-2010 at 00:33. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    As would the .35 Whelen, if there's room in the magazine for it. Not sure that there is.
    Not a .35, but in the ballpark would be the .338 Federal.
    Check the Adams & Bennett barrels on Midway for the Mausers. I've used a couple of 'em and they're NOT terrible barrels, especially when you consider that they're contoured, threaded, and short chambered, and then look at the price. I bought a .35 Whelen barrel from them on a 'special', at $63.95 and some shipping. Something to consider.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=546547
    I second that on the A&B barrels. Mine shoots sub-moa with the right hand loads.

Default Mauser RECIEVERS

I can get Remington 798 Mauser Stripped Recievers for 159.00. They are drilled and tapped for scope mount and I can get Magnum recievers for 179.00 each already to go for a standard mag dia case.

The commercial low scope bolts and the accessories I can get as well like hinged floorplates , triggers etc, but expect to shell out $$ for parts then the real expense begins when you screw on the barrel and then put your parts together. Unless you are building a custom caliber like a 280 Rem Ackley improved or any wildcat, one is far ahead to leave a Military Mauser the way it is. 8x57 is not a bad caliber for Alaska hunting
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

I have looked for those recievers on the web but no luck. Where are they at? Just for something different I think I will go ahead and do the 358 win conversion. The A & B 35 whelen could just be shortened up, re-threaded and chambered,,,,, right?

Default Yes, but...

There's as much work, maybe more, involved in cutting and redoing the threads and making it all work, as there is in starting with an unthreaded, contoured blank. Those are also available from Midway from A&B, Douglas, and Shilen. Go to the gunsmithing drop-down, then universal gun parts, then barrel blanks, and the first one up is a .358 bore F44 contour blank from A&B for $79.95 and shipping.