Thread: End of days

Default End of days

lately, at the end of the day, after school, gets my daughter Iri busey on her "dog mushing" class.
    Having discussed this since last year, we have been on the look out for pups with potential, and haveing gone through about a dozen, we have kept three so far as "GOOD!"
    Soooooo, besides having the girl run our Icenets with us, she has been setting a snare line in the last few days as the dog food is about 1/2 gone.
    Keeping those dogs fed is as important as feeding your family, so if thats what she wants , thats what shes gettin'.

I make her take her .22 every time, as well, and she called me (on her cell phone) just after she missed the Blackest Fox she had ever seen....( Fox trap lesson, next!) seems he was a following her , and she made a snap shot and placed it right between the fox's feet, under the belly, and she saw where the hit , walked over, and was certain that there was no blood trail.... a bit low, but heck, she s learning.
    Anyhoo......... the gist of the cell call was that she now must have a semi auto !! ~~!!LOL!!~~

Soooooo, me and the guys worked up a frame for the wife to strech Seals skins on, and the younger son has left a couple to do such with.

Soon, it'l join the others and become a canvas....just have to spend some time in the deep cold now to whiten the skin side , now that every drop of oily grease has been removed. these will make excellent canvass's for the wife to draw on with India Ink.

Working on skins, outboards, equipment in general sure beats waving a fist at the Internet ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You should start a business as a "titler" Picking titles for boks, article, etc. I like your titles!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Eschatology

I was afraid this was a discussion about THE end of days.

Whew, much better.

Keep up the good work of showing the other Alaska lifestyle. Hopefully your town keeps the sleddog trails broken with the dog food tax dollars

Surly Dogs will always have a place up this way........but "Dog Food tax $$?" Maby the wife can get a break on her tax's? Or will we have to pay because we fed them fish.......???

Now theres something Ill just send the IRS frozen Fish....yaaaa....lots, of course, but one at a time,....... in seperate packages........Whitefish, all around.....

Thumbs up

Reminds me of a guy in Valdez. He was visiting, on vacation with his pickup, camper and boat. Went into the store to get groceries and dog food. The cashier refused to honor his food coupons for the dog food. He took it back and got the biggest beef roasts the butcher could find. Funny stuff we all do for taking care of our dogs.

Whitefish are probably just fine, but lots of dogs are getting killed for eating salmon. Started in the Northwest and coming closer every day. It is now poison to them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

good thing there's sheefish then akres

Sheefish, Whitefish, Cods and Salmon, Ive never had a problem.
    Since I havent been running for a few years now, I have not relied on Salmon recently, but maby other more current mushers would know.
    I always though Alaska Wild Salmon was one of the finest food on Earth.
    I hope they figure it out soon.

I dont feed raw fresh or frozen Salmon, most all dryed to a degree, to dogs though. All winter I mix their feed, various meats, fish, scraps and bones, cooked as soup with frozen fish that have their stomachs removed anyway. Caribou bones yard toys.
    Also, when the boys get Seals I also give them old seal oil, cooked seal meat, chunks of blubber, mostly scraps from butchering and a scoop or two of frozen Blueberrys and beach greens in winter ,now and then....dogs like Blueberrys.

Everything likes blueberrys!!

Default Especially Me

One of the great parts of an Alaskan hunt is eating blueberries from the bush. I just hope I don't cause any bears to hibernate with too little fat.

Hey Chip - I had some interesting pm's with Mark Richards (aka - Bushrat) about living in the bush with modern conveniences - ie. cell phones, satellite computers, snow machines, etc. Any comments??

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Surly Dogs will always have a place up this way........but "Dog Food tax $$?" Maby the wife can get a break on her tax's? Or will we have to pay because we fed them fish.......???

Now theres something Ill just send the IRS frozen Fish....yaaaa....lots, of course, but one at a time,....... in seperate packages........Whitefish, all around.....
    ...-lol-
    -that's great!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    lately, at the end of the day, after school, gets my daughter Iri busey on her "dog mushing" class.
    Having discussed this since last year, we have been on the look out for pups with potential, and haveing gone through about a dozen, we have kept three so far as "GOOD!"
    Soooooo, besides having the girl run our Icenets with us, she has been setting a snare line in the last few days as the dog food is about 1/2 gone.
    Keeping those dogs fed is as important as feeding your family, so if thats what she wants , thats what shes gettin'.

I make her take her .22 every time, as well, and she called me (on her cell phone) just after she missed the Blackest Fox she had ever seen....( Fox trap lesson, next!) seems he was a following her , and she made a snap shot and placed it right between the fox's feet, under the belly, and she saw where the hit , walked over, and was certain that there was no blood trail.... a bit low, but heck, she s learning.
    Anyhoo......... the gist of the cell call was that she now must have a semi auto !! ~~!!LOL!!~~

Soooooo, me and the guys worked up a frame for the wife to strech Seals skins on, and the younger son has left a couple to do such with.

Soon, it'l join the others and become a canvas....just have to spend some time in the deep cold now to whiten the skin side , now that every drop of oily grease has been removed. these will make excellent canvass's for the wife to draw on with India Ink.

Working on skins, outboards, equipment in general sure beats waving a fist at the Internet ~~LOL!!~~

- great pictures, and awesome thread!
    -I like to hear of everything you and your family do over in your neck of the woods-(er...neck of the tundra-)
    -thankyou for posting all this-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Hey Chip - I had some interesting pm's with Mark Richards (aka - Bushrat) about living in the bush with modern conveniences - ie. cell phones, satellite computers, snow machines, etc. Any comments??
    Just a clarification, cuz I just got a note from someone saying they didn't know we had cell phone coverage here, based on Phil's post above.

No cell phones out here where I am, cuz no coverage. Also, never owned a snowmachine.

Carry on...and btw Chip, I'm enjoying the one pup we kept from a litter this fall (the rest went to good homes in town), been a while since we had a puppy. She's a pain at times though running loose with the team, have to be careful getting a leash on her when we get near any ground sets I have out for fox and wolverine. Good luck with the new dogs,

I always enjoy reading your posts stranger. It reminds me of the simpler days.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default Sorry

I didn't mean to imply that Mark had either cell phones or snow machines (or any other contrivance with an internal combustion engine).

He does have a satellite computer that allows him to communicate with other humans. Something that (as I understand) wasn't always possible among early trappers or people who lived in the bush.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that Mark had either cell phones or snow machines (or any other contrivance with an internal combustion engine).

He does have a satellite computer that allows him to communicate with other humans. Something that (as I understand) wasn't always possible among early trappers or people who lived in the bush.
    It wasn't that long ago, that these were not available to anyone. Period. Whether you lived in a city, village or bush. These are all relatively new to the scene, moreso in Alaska than Chicago, but I know folks living in the south that still to this day have none of them, except a vehicle to drive on their bumpy roads.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Stranger....I miss not having made it your way yet. You are living the true Alaskan dream. Keep it real dude!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Cell phones came here in September, so for 60$ a month I can call the kids and figure out where they are. Also , no long distance to call Kotzebue, so I take one along when I go that way. Theres only 5 miles of coverage around the villages, with plenty of miles between, so I still carry a VHF. Letting the daughter hunt alone with a cell phone is fine with me.
    Satalight internet is common, just need a 4 stroke generator.
    electricity is pretty nice, and you can get a big batteries with solar panels, jumper cables, a radio, and plug ins for small apliances. Good thing to have at camp or inna boat. Honda ATV's have plug in adapters for ciggeret lighter plugs, and you can do alot with those. Their outboards have them too.You can charge batteries in camp, in various ways.

As to snowmachines and dog teams, it comes down to how you want to spend your time.
    Having dogs is fun, and spending summers hunting out of a fish camp is the preference I have, but sometimes its better to spend a summer working to buy a snowgo and have gas on hand for awhile.Depends on what life hands you, and how you deal with it. You can have both, I did, and both are a great way to hunt. I have always had a snowmachine to use, and the dogs were better to hunt with. Snowgos go long distances with heavy loads, fairly quickly.
    I can just park a snowgo, but dogs must be fed everyday.
    Dogs will always get you home, unless you fall off or they get away, a snow go can break down at any moment.
    Fish for Dogs or $$ for gas.
    I used to feed my dogs Caribou, when it was legal, and it was alotta fun hunting Caribou with them as they knew it was gonna be good for them.~~LOL!!~~

With dogs, you never have to go back ,ever, just keep on hunting.