Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot sight for Ruger MKIII

Default Red dot sight for Ruger MKIII

Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on if a red dot sight is worth it for small game hunting and target shooting with a Ruger MK III target model .22? I found a few for just over $100, but i'm just not convinced that I need it.

Well I shoot better on the range with a red dot.
    1st choice is the Ultra Dot, avail form Larry's Gunes, bullet proof, have three, one on a 45
    2nd choice Champions Choice for about $80 have two work great at the range

The holster set up presents a problem for me for rabbit hunting.

R/Allen

It definitely helps as you get older and have a hard time focusing on iron sights.. Might alos check on the Burris Fast Firs sights. Very small and compact.

Default Practical range?

50-80 yds? More?

50 yards but maybe 60.

If they work with your eyes, the standard by which all others are measured are the Trijicon Minis (the old Doctor sights)

I dont think that the Ruger has the requisite accuracy to be useful at 60 yards

My MKI Ruger certainly has the accuracy capability for 60yd shots on small game. Once the drop is factored in and with a good rest, clay pigeons at 75yds would be in a world of hurt. I have a Bushnell Phantom 2.5x on it. I know it doesn't have a fancy European name or price tag but it does shoot very well. Beyond about 50yds, drop becomes a real factor.

Default Scoping a pistol

Problem with putting a scope on a pistol is that it becomes a pain to carry. I don't know about you. But I carry my .22 pistol when I am out dinking around or hunting for larger game. If I going out to shoot bunnies or birds I carry a shotgun or a .22 rifle. Bowhunting I carry a large caliber handgun. In addition most handgun shooting unless you are using a centerfire rifle chambered pistol is 50 yards and down. At under a 100 yards there is zero benefit in scoping a gun except for light gathering capabilities.

One thing about red dot style sights that I have found. Contrary to what the manufacturer's claims have been about being parallax-free. If you put a laser bore sighter in the gun and look down the sight you will see the parallax (an apparent change in the location of an object, caused by a change in observational position that provides a new line of sight).
    Taking the above observation into consideration. The more money I have paid for a red dot style sight the less parallax that sight has had.

One other thing about red dot style sights is test them against a snowy background on a sunny day. Making sure the model your are going to purchase has enough brightness adjustment to show up.

Sorry for rambling. Apparently I didn't need that second cup of coffee this morning.

Regards,

Needcoffee

I can get the Truglo 40mm dual coler series red dot sight
    , $85 Free Shipping to my door! If you could pick up from Seward, could mail flat rate if needed.
    Features

• 5 MOA reticle designed for quick acquisition.
    • Shock resistant to 1000g.
    • Waterproof / fog-proof.
    • Unlimited eye relief.
    • Wide field of view.
    • BONUS! See-thru / flip-up lens caps, optical-quality / all-weather.
    • Rheostat for brightness control.
    • Lightweight / easy to mount.
    • Multi-coated lenses produce more than 95 percent light transmittance.
    • Special anti-reflective interior eliminates stray light from appearing inside the sight.
    • Click windage and elevation adjustments.
    • BONUS! Integrated lanyard system prevents loss of screw-down W/E caps.
    • Integrated Weaver-style mounting system.
    • Battery included (3V-CR2032).
    • Ideal for shotguns, handguns, rifles, muzzleloaders, paintball and crossbows.
    • Lifetime Limited Warranty.

ACCURATE. DEPENDABLE. EASY TO SHOOT.

INCLUDES FLIP-UP LENS CAPS / LANYARD SYSTEM

Smile Red dot

I have a millet red dot on my MKII and a Uncle Mikes holster. The red dot makes it a lot easier to focus. Usually I have mine on the four wheeler or in my day pack. While not quick to get to, most birds sit for a long enough time for me to get my pistol out.
    Want to get non shooter hooked on shooting? Sat them up on a 25 yard range with this set up and some reactive targets.

There is also the Crimson Trace lasergrip option. Since the lasergrip replaces the factory grips, any standard holster can be used. Once sighted in, you will know what you're aiming at, the dot will be were the round goes. Of course bullet drop is still a factor. Parallex, is very small with this grip, since the laser is only the radius of the barral away from the bore.

But the draw back is lasers aren't legal to hunt with.

I agree with rbuck351, my Rugger mkI is also a very accurate handgun capable of taking small game at extended ranges. My mkI has a 6 7/8 barrel and is scoped with a B-square mount and tasco pistol scope. I am confident that I will never find a more accurate 22 caliber handgun. I have shot a lot of revolvers and semi-autos. This one out shoots them all. I had this gun scoped with a 2X Leupold until I purchased a Super Red Hawk in 44 mag. It now wears the leupold and I bought the tasco for the mkI. Rbuck what mount do you have on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I am confident that I will never find a more accurate 22 caliber handgun.
    May I suggest you try a S&W 41, a High Standard Trophy, Victor or 10, or a SIG 210 .22 Kit?

No need to try any of them. I'm very happy with what I have.

I had an S&W 41 and sold it because my Mark II out shot it quite handily. The Mark 1, 2, 3s and 4522s are all very accurate guns in my experience with them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Red Dot

I have a Red Dot on my MkII and love it. I love more each year as my eyes become worse and worse. I have also noticed that many novice shooters that I have started really enjoy shooting it as it helps them focus and feel more sucessful when starting. I would also have to say that my MkII is accurate beyond just short distances.

Csstiron, My MKI Target 6 7/8" has a Bushnell Phantom scope on it. It uses a mount that fits only it. You have to d/t two holes for the bases. I think the mount was made by bushnell also, but it's been 35 years since I put it on and I don't remember for sure. I shot NRA indoor pistol for several years and accuracy was not an issue. I shot against S&W 41s, High Standard Trophy, Citation, Military, Victor other Rugers and one guy had an old fancy Browning of some sort. I don't think the Sig 220 .22kit exsisted at the time. There was only one guy ar our club that beat me on a regular basis. He used a S&W41 but he was also a better shot than I. I shot a Walthers Olympic match pistol for a while and he beat me then too. Anyone that thinks the Ruger MKI,II or III isn't accurate probably hasn't really put them to the test. Either that or the few I have tried are just exceptional samples.

I also have owned and shot several of them over the years. All were much more accurate than I could shoot them. Wildalaska must of had a bad experence with a Rugger at some time. What a shame, it will probally cause him to miss out on some of the best shooting 22 caliber handguns in the world.

Thumbs up MKIII 4 sure

I recently bought a new MK III hunter w/ the 6 7/8 barrel. I love it. What makes it easy to shoot and accurate for me is that it fits my hand(s) perfectly. It's easy to point and hold and DEADLY accurate. First day out with it I shot a few clips thru it knocking 1 and 2 inch rocks around on the runway I had landed at, any where from a few to 30/ 40 yards. Then I walked around a little and first shot out of it bagged me a hare, the next shot got a ptarmigin, followed by two more birds for the day. I fell in love with that little gun that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I also have owned and shot several of them over the years. All were much more accurate than I could shoot them. Wildalaska must of had a bad experence with a Rugger at some time. What a shame, it will probally cause him to miss out on some of the best shooting 22 caliber handguns in the world.
    No actually other than the take down system (and the new loaded ammo indicators) they are solid, bullet proof field .22s. Owned one as a truck .22 for many years (Mark I Blue Bull barrel)

World Class target pistols they are not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast