Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Commercial Flight Booking

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    14

    Default Commercial Flight Booking

    My first post here - sure enjoyed reading the archives! Anyway, I'll be hunting moose this year and have paid a deposit with an air charter. Meanwhile I've been watching the AK Air air fares from DEN to FAI and they have been fairly steady. I'm wondering how long to watch them before locking in? I already got an AK Airlines Visa card to take advantage of that deal for my hunting partner and I.

    Same question for booking with Wright Air - do I need to get that locked in pretty soon or can I wait a couple months?

  2. #2
    Member HuntNBgame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    495

    Default

    As long as you have a set hunt date I wouldn't wait any longer. They deffently are not going to get any cheaper. I am not famliar with Wright's but I would book all your flights as soon as you can. Good luck on your hunt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDavid View Post
    My first post here - sure enjoyed reading the archives! Anyway, I'll be hunting moose this year and have paid a deposit with an air charter. Meanwhile I've been watching the AK Air air fares from DEN to FAI and they have been fairly steady. I'm wondering how long to watch them before locking in? I already got an AK Airlines Visa card to take advantage of that deal for my hunting partner and I.

    Same question for booking with Wright Air - do I need to get that locked in pretty soon or can I wait a couple months?



    This years Drawing for harvest tags will be out by the end of march... by mid april most the GOOD slots will be filled up by June you will prolly be on standby
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4

    Default

    Sounds like you've paid your air taxi deposit - was that with Wright? If so, you're good to go with them, but you should get your dates booked if you didn't give them specific dates yet.

    As for AK Air - I agree with Vince, fares aren't going to get cheaper. Although, they do advertise small specials every 6-8 weeks, so you might wait for the next special they offer, might save you 10-15%.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Member c04hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I would book ASAP with Wright's. Not sure how it works for moose hunting, but flights into sheep country always fill up fast. Then once you have those dates firm, you can buy your AK Airlines tickets.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default commercial air fares

    should drop for summer/early fall flights, as soon as the airlines that only fly here in the summer start advertising their flights.
    I know that Frontier Air flys from Denver to Anc - not sure about FAI, but would expect they go there too. Check prices with them. If they are lower than AK Air, wait a while to see if AK Air is going to try to compete.
    I'd probably wait until March/April to buy the ticket from Denver.
    Gary
    Get your dates with Wright set NOW.

  7. #7
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    should drop for summer/early fall flights, as soon as the airlines that only fly here in the summer start advertising their flights.
    I know that Frontier Air flys from Denver to Anc - not sure about FAI, but would expect they go there too. Check prices with them. If they are lower than AK Air, wait a while to see if AK Air is going to try to compete.
    I'd probably wait until March/April to buy the ticket from Denver.
    Gary
    Get your dates with Wright set NOW.
    I set my dates with Wright this morning and their schedule is getting very full, you best hurry.

  8. #8

    Default

    What advantage does an Alaska air card give you? Ken

  9. #9
    Member Bullwinkle50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thunderbird Falls
    Posts
    373

    Default DIA Flights

    Paul,

    I fly fairly often between Anchorage and Colorado so have some knowledge on that. There are several airlines planning on doing direct flights between DIA and Fairbanks this summer. They have been talking about having more airline flights this year over the last couple of years so there should be a little more competition. You can probably get tickets in the $375 to $425 range. I would wait until they at least drop to the $450 level before trying to buy a ticket. This probably won't happen until at least April and for your August/September moose hunt, it might not happen until early summer. I do agree with the others here and book your flights in Alaska as soon as you have the dates locked down because they don't change like the commercial guys do.

    Randy

  10. #10
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Details on website

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    What advantage does an Alaska air card give you? Ken
    Not as much as it used to...
    Card costs $75/year and you get a $99 companion ticket (was $50 last year). Plus you earn miles for dollars.
    Considering that many in state flights run around $450 (some are MUCH more), the companion flying for $182 ($75 + $99 + $8 tax) is not bad.
    The miles don't work that great for the lower 48 but will get you an in state flight for 15,000 miles + $10. A $450 ticket for 15,000 miles is a pretty good deal and I've never had trouble getting a mileage ticket in state. Depending on your situation is can work out pretty good.

    Last year I flew 3 people ANC to OTZ for $450 + $133 + 15,000 miles and $10 = $593
    compared to 3 people at full price $450 x 3 = $1350

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    14

    Default DIA Flights

    Great info. We'll book our Wright Air flight very soon between FAI and Fort Yukon. I already have arrangements from FYU to the deeper bush.

    Round trip right now using the "$99" passenger option I'm looking at $984 for 2 people round trip on AK Air. That is flying on Wednesdays which offers about a $100 break. However, I'm opting for the DEN-SEA-FAI option rather than adding a leg through ANC so that costs a little more. Sounds like it may get cheaper if I'm patient....

  12. #12
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    All depends on how you use the card. If you own a business (as I do) you can convert every single account that will accept Visa to auto pay off the card, plus do all your cash purchases and fuel purchases with the card. I currently pay all my electric bills, heating fuel bills, and phone bills with the card, plus all other cash purchases. You'll be amazed how fast those miles will rack up. As long as you pay the card off every month, it's a smokin' deal.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  13. #13
    Member Bullwinkle50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thunderbird Falls
    Posts
    373

    Default commercial flights

    PaulDavid,

    Just checked and Denver to Anchorage flights are now down to $435 includeing fees. This is on Frontier and is a non stop. If the flights from there to FIA don't follow suit, it might be worth flying to ANC and driving up.

    Randy

  14. #14

    Default

    Bullwinkle, where do you generally find your best prices? Clearing houses like expedia and the like or do you go directly to the airlines website? Ken

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    14

    Default Commercial Flights

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    PaulDavid,

    Just checked and Denver to Anchorage flights are now down to $435 includeing fees. This is on Frontier and is a non stop. If the flights from there to FIA don't follow suit, it might be worth flying to ANC and driving up.

    Randy
    Thanks. I'll have to watch that. Unless I can get that to FAI, I'm not sure its that much better than the price I've been watching = $981 for two people round trip to FAI on Alaska Airlines (using my Alaska Air credit card deal).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •