Thread: Spring Black Bear Info?

Default Spring Black Bear Info?

My 2nd year in Alaska, still haven't hunted. I live in Anchorage, looking for advice on where to go for black bear. I don't have a boat, just want some advice on a good walk-in area. I've hunted all my life, just a little frustrating here finding places to go and a "good" hunting buddy. Plenty of co-workers talk about hunting but never seem to go. Thanks!

Sam

Carry your rifle with you when you go to Cordova. Rent a vehicle and drive out the road to the Million Dollar Bridge. Go across the bridge and stay on the road for about 1.5 more miles. You'll come to a wash out. Park there and then cross the wash out. At that point you'll enter a new game zone. That trail runs another 7 miles or so before ending at a deep river that is unpassable. The whole place is crawling with brown and black bears. The season out there is also open year round with a 1 brown bear per year limit and 3 black bears per year. You should see plenty just walking down the trail itself. I've never been out there without seeing multiple bears!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

south of anchorage to seward and kenai... head high and look for fresh greens in the early spring. spring bears look like shiney black balls way up high in the evening sun
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I would have to say Vince gave some good direction. Hope area is good but seems to get hunted pretty hard. Toward Seward there are a few trails that a person can go up and spot and stalk. If all else fails just drive around in the fall looking above the tree line. Find the berries and you WILL find the bears.
    Look at 14C for blacks, if you dont mind a moderate hike back in to get to the legal rifle hunting area. I've been in there and have seen numerous blacks. Best of luck to you

if you want to hunt on foot it is pretty reasonable to get dropped off in kachemak bay state park across from homer. spot and stalk in the tidal lowlands....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    if you want to hunt on foot it is pretty reasonable to get dropped off in kachemak bay state park across from homer. spot and stalk in the tidal lowlands....
    if you need a contact for homer area that does drop offs let me know... I know a guy does a lot of that in the spring...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

cooper lake on the kenia pen has alot of bears back in there, just pick a trail that heads up into the mtns on the kenai peninsula and there'll be black bears there. keep in mind in the spring fish and game will actually fly surverys over stands of cottonwood trees because black bears love to eat the fresh shoots of the branches..its not uncommon to find them in trees in may.
    driving the roads and just glassing is a good option. one friend of mine glassed from around cooperlanding first week of oct for three days and had 53 black bear sightings...they killed a couple too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

Always thought this would be a fun hunt but never got around to finding out if "reasonable" translated well to "works for college students"...guess maybe this would be a good year to find out

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Talking Hope it helps..

I took a water taxi across Kachemak Bay back in 2006 and it was $70 per person round trip. We were dropped off in Tutka Bay at the Sea Star Cove Cabin that belongs to DNR I think. We stayed at the cabin for I want to say $25 per night. Cabin was very nice and well furnished with everything you would need.

Here is a link to the water taxi service we used. They were on time and very helpful. They also have sea kayaks to rent for the duration of your trip if you would like. They service other bays/coves in the area also.

www.makoswatertaxi.com/

Hope it helps and good luck

Cool transporter license...

Mako doesn't have one, and if you call him for a bear hunt he will just have you call me.

(i have kayaks too )

Thumbs up oops

I guess I should have warned him to check on the transporter license.. I didn't use him for a hunt, we went over there for a few days on a sea kayaking trip. But like I said it was 4 years ago, not even sure he is still running the taxi. Good catch Dave! Maybe I will give you a call if we decide to head back that way again this year, it was a great trip.

If I remember right it was pretty steep in there as far as the shore line goes. And all the way at the back of the bay there is a glacier. There are places in there to beach the kayak and start on a hike. Just not sure how you would strap a bear on the kayak to get him back..lol That might get interesting!

Yeah, someone told me that there were bears across from Kachemak bay, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, someone told me that there were bears across from Kachemak bay, but...
    probably the same guy who led you to believe there were king salmon IN the bay too, huh?

Mako is certainly still doing biz down here, he is a good friend of mine and we are about the only two guys who run all year.