Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Lady Slipper, Lockwood, Witsoe, etc.

  1. #1

    Default Lady Slipper, Lockwood, Witsoe, etc.

    I'm hoping to check out the pike fishing around the Yentna River. I've heard that Lady Slipper, Lockwood and Witsoe can all be good. Are there trails into any of these lakes, or will I be boondocking? If so, can you tell me how to find the trails? Are there better lakes to fish in the area?

    I've never been to any of these lakes, so any and all advice would be great! I'd just like to go set a few tip-ups out and enjoy one of these nice spring days that is coming up.

    Thanks in advance....

    Corn

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    The trails are in and in good shape to Alexander, Sucker and Trail Lakes. Way better for larger pike. Less distance and better fishing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The trails are in and in good shape to Alexander, Sucker and Trail Lakes. Way better for larger pike. Less distance and better fishing.
    You sure on the less distance part?

    Mike

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    Yes. If you are leaving the Pt Mac Gas line or from the Deshka Landing. But if you are leaving from Skwentna then No. The trail getting to Alexander is fast. A little slower on to Sucker and Trail. Don't stay on the freight trails, take the short cuts, if you are just hauling camping and fishing gear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Akres,
    I need to look at a trail map. As the birds fly it looks closer to LadySlipper than Sucker etc... I am planning a spring trip. Maybe an overnighter to that area. Was planning to leave from Willow Lake area.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Akres,
    I need to look at a trail map. As the birds fly it looks closer to LadySlipper than Sucker etc... I am planning a spring trip. Maybe an overnighter to that area. Was planning to leave from Willow Lake area.

    Mike
    You are correct. But....the trail(s) to Ladyslipper is crooked as a dogs hind leg. There are three trails to Ladyslipper. The longest and fastest trail in, is up the Yentna to the bend right before Yentna Station. Take a right headed north off of the main trail, in the slough, can't miss it. It goes directly to onto Lockwood lake, from there out the north-east end of the lake, less than a hundred yards, you will find the size line that goes directly down to LadySlipper. Both other trails are slower, and with marginal snow, they get dicey. Alexander, Trail and Sucker are all better choices for Pike.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The trails are in and in good shape to Alexander, Sucker and Trail Lakes. Way better for larger pike. Less distance and better fishing.
    Thanks for the tip, Res. What is the best way into these lakes? I've got a place around Mile 6 of the Yentna, but I haven't done much in the way of exploring out there yet. I usually leave from the Deshka Landing.

  8. #8

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Res. What is the best way into these lakes? I've got a place around Mile 6 of the Yentna, but I haven't done much in the way of exploring out there yet. I usually leave from the Deshka Landing.
    The fastest and best way is at mile eight of the Yentna, just upstream and across from Luce's cabin, there is a trailhead that will take you directly to Alexander. From there, there is a lesser trail leading to Sucker and Trail Lakes. You can be putting out tipups in two hours by using this trail.

    You can also get into all of them by going up the Alexander Creek and jumping out on the trail to the south that goes up to Trail and Sucker, then back to Alexander Lake. It is knarly and often plauqed with overflow conditions.

    You can also jump up on the Original Iditarod Trail from the Big Su. It too can be overflowed and bumpy. It will take you westward to the trail intersection leading from the Yentna.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The fastest and best way is at mile eight of the Yentna, just upstream and across from Luce's cabin, there is a trailhead that will take you directly to Alexander. From there, there is a lesser trail leading to Sucker and Trail Lakes. You can be putting out tipups in two hours by using this trail.

    You can also get into all of them by going up the Alexander Creek and jumping out on the trail to the south that goes up to Trail and Sucker, then back to Alexander Lake. It is knarly and often plauqed with overflow conditions.

    You can also jump up on the Original Iditarod Trail from the Big Su. It too can be overflowed and bumpy. It will take you westward to the trail intersection leading from the Yentna.
    Right on, thanks a lot Res. I'd add to your mountain of rep points, if I could.

    Corn.

  10. #10
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    Anyone been up to sucker or Alexander this winter? How's the trail(s)?

  11. #11

    Default

    Adfg has been netting Alexander creek and lake heavily. I heard the fishing dropped of at both lakes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •