Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much extra is the gas at the Whittier fuel dock?

Default How much extra is the gas at the Whittier fuel dock?

Trying to figure out costs involved in parking boat in whittier parking lot for the season (and buying gas as the Whittier fuel dock) vs towing down from Anchorage and fueling up in Bird creek or Girdwood.

Can't do it without knowing what the price differential is though.

I know potbuilder fuels up @ Whittier, I'm hoping he'll chime in.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Call

Just call down there and find out. Shoreside petroleum.

I have seen it anywhere from 30 cents to $1 per gallon more than Anchorage. I fill up there each time I return to port. Two seasons ago I saw fuel price peak at $5.17 per gallon. Last season it was in the mid $3's per gallon. I go through 3000+/- gallons a season and have not had a problem with water in the fuel from the fuel dock. You have to pay to play, so just smile and take it or haul back and forth from Anchorage. Welcome to big boat ownership. Ain't it great?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Just call down there and find out. Shoreside petroleum.

It's not so simple. They are currently only open Friday and Saturday. I was curious, since I checked on this last summer for diesel, and it was the cheapest source I could find. The second cheapest was Shoreside here in Anchorage, which was about 10 cents higher, and then Carrs which I think was another 15 cents or so. At the time the reasoning was that this did not contain road tax, which I think is 8 cents higher on diesel than on gasoline.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I only buy fuel in sh**tier when i have to usually i get my fuel from the tenders when i'm gillnetting.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I only buy fuel in sh**tier when i have to usually i get my fuel from the tenders when i'm gillnetting.
    Where do they get their fuel? I have seen tenders fueling at Shoreside before.

I haul barrels, but shhhhhhhhhhh

don't tell

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I haul barrels, but shhhhhhhhhhh

don't tell
    Not feasible for me. It might have happened when I owned the old boat, though.

Default Blue jugs

Nope just fresh water in them blue jugs.

I was wondering, do those of you who haul fu, errr water ever actually get checked or even asked about what you're hauling. (I assume it's because of the tunnel, no?) I doubt anyone is interested, but the price today at the Homer fuel dock (Petro Marine) for regular marine gasoline is $3.19 plus the 7.5% city tax. Marine diesel is $2.90 plus the 7.5%. That 7.5% is capped at $37.50 per fill up ($500). I'm curious what the difference in ports is.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I was wondering, do those of you who haul fu, errr water ever actually get checked or even asked about what you're hauling. (I assume it's because of the tunnel, no?) I doubt anyone is interested, but the price today at the Homer fuel dock (Petro Marine) for regular marine gasoline is $3.19 plus the 7.5% city tax. Marine diesel is $2.90 plus the 7.5%. That 7.5% is capped at $37.50 per fill up ($500). I'm curious what the difference in ports is.
    The people at the toll booth can only ask. They cannot search.

Whittier fuel has always been higher priced from what I have experienced. They charge it because they can.

If I was hauling fuel in blue jugs, which I wouldn't cause it's against the rules. I would probably throw a tarp over them so they were out of sight, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Whittier fuel has always been higher priced from what I have experienced. They charge it because they can.
    I certainly understand that. You do what you have to to enjoy your hobby. Incidentally, the gasoline at the Homer fuel dock is $3.43 with the tax. I would guess the port facility is the largest revenue producer in Homer, outside of property taxes.

It would be interesting to know how many gallons are sold over the course of the season at each of the ports. I know how much I use in the boat each season as a private party and it is scary! We put more fuel through the outboards each season than I do in three vehicles over the course of a year. Now that I think about it, probably two years!
    Last edited by spoiled one; 02-10-2010 at 15:29. Reason: added a bit.

Default Keep in mind...

Think about this; Sometimes a trawler-size vessel might spend two hours fueling, maybe two trawler-size vessels at the same time, thus no room for you to get your fuel. I have seen it happen in Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Think about this; Sometimes a trawler-size vessel might spend two hours fueling, maybe two trawler-size vessels at the same time, thus no room for you to get your fuel. I have seen it happen in Homer.

I have seen a tender take up the long side of the Whittier fuel dock on a Sunday afternoon. That is a pain!

Question I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Where do they get their fuel? I have seen tenders fueling at Shoreside before.
    assuming you're talking about Shoreside, it is piped underground along the road and through the tunnel into storage tanks at the marina. I could be wrong, but that's what I heard someone say as there was some concern when the rock slide came down last year. I wouldn't know the pipe source. Airport maybe? Interesting??? Maybe someone else knows the details. If you were talking about the tenders, I have no idea.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Ok, I got some numbers today.

Here in Anchorage, you can only get diesel (not unleaded) and the price today is $3.22 per gallon at Shoreside on Lake Otis.

In Whittier, they are currently selling unleaded for 3.56 per gallon, and diesel is $3.23 per gallon. These are all marine prices for 100+ gallons.

As a comparison, Regular is around $3.13 here in town and premium is $3.35 per gallon. Diesel is around $3.35.

This similar to what I found when I checked last summer. Looks like it is worth hauling gas but not diesel.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    assuming you're talking about Shoreside, it is piped underground along the road and through the tunnel into storage tanks at the marina. I could be wrong, but that's what I heard someone say as there was some concern when the rock slide came down last year. I wouldn't know the pipe source. Airport maybe? Interesting??? Maybe someone else knows the details. If you were talking about the tenders, I have no idea.
    No, I was referring to the tenders in response to pot builder's post.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Ok, I got some numbers today.

Here in Anchorage, you can only get diesel (not unleaded) and the price today is $3.22 per gallon at Shoreside on Lake Otis.

In Whittier, they are currently selling unleaded for 3.56 per gallon, and diesel is $3.23 per gallon. These are all marine prices for 100+ gallons.

As a comparison, Regular is around $3.13 here in town and premium is $3.35 per gallon. Diesel is around $3.35.

This similar to what I found when I checked last summer. Looks like it is worth hauling gas but not diesel.
    Does that include the Whittier tax? I believe it is around 7%.

If I recall correctly, shore side in Whittier gives you a bit of a break if you purchase more than 200 gallons, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast