Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Optics question: Advise needed!

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default Optics question: Advise needed!

    I see these $500 scopes by brand names by Eotech. Here's an array of such products. Yeah there's other products like it by other manufactures. My question is directed at these type of products in general, not necessarily at this manufacturer or any particular model.

    Ok. So you look through this type of scope. You see a red dot or some other pattern of lines which function like scope reticules: to help you aim. And what you see is a holograph. Why would someone want to spend so much money for a product like this? That is my question.

    I can see the obvious advantage of not being restricted by field of view limitations, which would apply with any other type of scope. But a man would not have such restrictions with open sights either. Why go with the holographic sights over open sights?

    These products sell companion products. Such as magnifiers. I could maybe see the advantage of a holographic sight with a built in magnifier, but unless I'm mistaken the magnifiers are a separately mounted component, which restricts your field of view. Why would I want to buy a holographic sight, with a magnifier, and spend about $800 or more for this, when what you're getting in the end ---essentially--- is nothing more than a 3x magnification red dot scope, which you can buy for much less cost from a company like NcStar? Or am I incorrect on this point? Let me know.

    That is my question. What is the fuss with these holographic sights? What are their real advantages? I would appreciate any input and advise.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    What is the fuss with these holographic sights? What are their real advantages? I would appreciate any input and advise.
    Extremely fast in CQB conditions and useable even if the glass is fully onscured or 90% is missing

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Yes, extremely fast in all light conditions, ideally suited for close to moderate ranges (about 200 to 300 yards are practical limits). More precise than aperture or open sights and much better in low light,dust, haze conditions. They are pretty good for called in predator hunting or of course adverse environment biped hunting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  4. #4
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    With iron sights your eye is attempting to keep the rear and front sight in focus, as well as the target and align the front and rear sight. With optical sight you only have to align the reticle or dot on the target, and don't have the issue of mulitple focal planes.

  5. #5
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default AND

    In optics price = Quality, so how do you think that 29.99 NcStar from China stacks up to the products by EoTech. Doubt the Nc could survive a bump against a rock let alone a bullet hitting it, which the EoTech takes in stride as long as some of the glass is still intact.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    In optics price = Quality, so how do you think that 29.99 NcStar from China stacks up to the products by EoTech. Doubt the Nc could survive a bump against a rock let alone a bullet hitting it, which the EoTech takes in stride as long as some of the glass is still intact.
    I bought this 6x24x40 scope, assembled in China, with parts from other manufacturers like Tasco, and out of the box all appeared well. It only cost me $60. I mounted it on a .308, zeroed at 100 yards, and was hitting bullseyes. But the next time I went out to shoot, the scope didn't work. The dials did not function at all. I can only assume it was the recoil.

    I wound up spending $500 and buying a Bushnell Tactical Elite 4200 6x24x40, and it holds up to the recoil, and it's warrantied and works good. I have it mounted on a 300 win mag now. I can definitely see and agree with the principle of a man getting what he pays for.

    The same can be said about cheap lasers from China. Or just about any product period from China. Just about everything manufactured in Asia, apart from Japan, is cheaply made, quick to fall apart crapola.

    I agree with you: you get what you pay for.

    However, NcStar seems to be putting out decent products for the price, and is atypical and unique in comparison with the vast majority of Chinese crap. They also warranty their products.

    I bought an NcStar scope with 3x magnification, and illuminated reticules, and a built in laser, for like $150. I put it on that same .308, and it works fine.

    I had contemplated buying that EoTech, with a magnifier, and just couldn't understand the advantage of going with EoTech. It's not like I need a night vision scope to use in tandem with the EoTech. And for the extra amount of money spent on an EoTech, I could buy a new .45 side arm.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thanks for the other input and information. I can see the advantage over open sights. I don't yet see the advantage over more inexpensive scopes with illuminated reticules.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angst View Post
    I see these $500 scopes by brand names by Eotech. Here's an array of such products. Yeah there's other products like it by other manufactures. My question is directed at these type of products in general, not necessarily at this manufacturer or any particular model.

    Ok. So you look through this type of scope. You see a red dot or some other pattern of lines which function like scope reticules: to help you aim. And what you see is a holograph. Why would someone want to spend so much money for a product like this? That is my question.

    I can see the obvious advantage of not being restricted by field of view limitations, which would apply with any other type of scope. But a man would not have such restrictions with open sights either. Why go with the holographic sights over open sights?

    These products sell companion products. Such as magnifiers. I could maybe see the advantage of a holographic sight with a built in magnifier, but unless I'm mistaken the magnifiers are a separately mounted component, which restricts your field of view. Why would I want to buy a holographic sight, with a magnifier, and spend about $800 or more for this, when what you're getting in the end ---essentially--- is nothing more than a 3x magnification red dot scope, which you can buy for much less cost from a company like NcStar? Or am I incorrect on this point? Let me know.

    That is my question. What is the fuss with these holographic sights? What are their real advantages? I would appreciate any input and advise.

    The eotech is a great sight. Some models have night vision compatability, which is handy depending on what line of work you are in. The eotech was designed as a combat optic for fast two eyes open target acquisition. It works, and it works well. I own two and have no complaints. I know guys that have put their eotechs through 2 or more combat deployments. Keep in mind we are infantrymen who are out on patrol 5 days a week. Not fobbits, or TOC rats. Eotechs will take a lot of abuse and are worth the money in my opinion.

    Other quality optics to look at are AIMPOINT, and TRIJICON. We use those too, and they are just as tough.

    I have been reading up on a new brand of optics called Vortex. They seem to be very very good for the money. I am going to start another thread asking if anyone has first hand experiance with them. Their stuff is about half the price of leupold, and from what I have read, the same or better quality.

    www.vortexoptics.com

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    The eotech is a great sight. Some models have night vision compatability, which is handy depending on what line of work you are in. The eotech was designed as a combat optic for fast two eyes open target acquisition. It works, and it works well. I own two and have no complaints. I know guys that have put their eotechs through 2 or more combat deployments. Keep in mind we are infantrymen who are out on patrol 5 days a week. Not fobbits, or TOC rats. Eotechs will take a lot of abuse and are worth the money in my opinion.

    Other quality optics to look at are AIMPOINT, and TRIJICON. We use those too, and they are just as tough.

    I have been reading up on a new brand of optics called Vortex. They seem to be very very good for the money. I am going to start another thread asking if anyone has first hand experiance with them. Their stuff is about half the price of leupold, and from what I have read, the same or better quality.

    www.vortexoptics.com
    I once talked to a guy who used to be in the service, and was once issued some optics which he described as being awesome. He said he couldn't remember what kind of scope it was, but it had some pretty far reaching magnification, and the scope had a series of horizontal lines etched in the lenses, which became shorter and shorter from end to end going towards the bottom of the scope. The lines were supposed to designate shoulder width of a man. So the rifle operator needed only lift the rifle to match the appropriate horizontal line with the shoulder width of the target. This design was presumably to spare a man the time he'd otherwise spend estimating range and bullet drop.

    If I could find holographic sights like that, I'd be making more trips to the piggy jar, saving a nickel here and a dime there. I reckon it would be worth the price.

  10. #10
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angst View Post
    I once talked to a guy who used to be in the service, and was once issued some optics which he described as being awesome. He said he couldn't remember what kind of scope it was, but it had some pretty far reaching magnification, and the scope had a series of horizontal lines etched in the lenses, which became shorter and shorter from end to end going towards the bottom of the scope. The lines were supposed to designate shoulder width of a man. So the rifle operator needed only lift the rifle to match the appropriate horizontal line with the shoulder width of the target. This design was presumably to spare a man the time he'd otherwise spend estimating range and bullet drop.

    If I could find holographic sights like that, I'd be making more trips to the piggy jar, saving a nickel here and a dime there. I reckon it would be worth the price.
    Sounds like he may have been talking about some model of Trijicon ACOG, they have drop compensation built into the reticule but are more like an illuminated riflescope than a reddot.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    You can estimate range fairly accurately with an ACOG. It just takes some practice. What was described in that post sounds like an ACOG, and that is basically how you estimate range/BDC with it.

  12. #12

    Default

    I recently picked up the EOTech XPS sight and the latest version of the 3x magnifier. I have used their stuff for a while and like that it promotes the style of shooting that they use in the military and in competition. It has made me a more accurate shooter, especially on quick shots.

    I'll be posting a full review of the XPS soon, if anyone is interested. I'm thinking of building a tactical .22 to mount it on for the time being to use as a cheap target rifle.


    www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •