Thread: snare chew

Default snare chew

Anyone out there using the "snareshop" self supporting wolf snare? It's 7x7 3/32, I had a problem w/chew/twist out? anyone else? suggestions?

are you using them for wolf snares? I use 3/32 7x7, but I make my own with #9 wire.

I've never used them but I've heard a few alaskan wolfers who have had problems with the snareshop wolf snares....bent locks, chew outs, water heads, etc...

They are 7x7 w/3/32" attached to #9 wire..they're a great easy set up, but maybe 1/8" cable should be attached?

I make my own they are similar only I use 1/8 cable rather than 3/32. There have been a lot of wolves held in 3/32 but personally I prefer a heavy cable. The biggest thing when using the smaller cable is to make sure you attach higher this dose not give the wolf as much leverage and allows the lock to cinch down on the back of the neck better choking it down faster. The faster it goes down the less opportunity for it to chew.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Smile Snares

I've used RP Outdoors hog snares for 15-20 years and they are great for wolves. Check them out at rpoutdoors.com. The price is great for some excellent equipment!

Default Personally

I would not use the 7x7. I would use the 1x19. Stiffer and holds a shape better. I use the snareshop snares with cam locks. I do NOT like the "bock" locks. The locks they have on their wolf snares with the #9 wire are good locks, but not the locks on the 1/8" 7x7, 8' snares they sell.

Default snares

3/32 is fine but definatly use the 1x19 cable ,much harder to chew through and as for twist outs,use an in-line swivel. Alaska Range Trapping Supply has these made up on the shelf or will make them to your specs.

Anybody wanna buy the 3/32" 7x7 attached to 5' #9 wire snares for something besides wolf send me a PM.