Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow tool box?

Default Bow tool box?

What is in your tool box for bows? I have two knock pliers a string square ( don't know it's real name) some old strings a plastic knock adjuster and old feild tips.

I am a trad shooter, is there other tools I might need? I am also wanting to be a bower and build my own bow strings. What do I need?

This will be good info for both trads and wheelie shooters.

Wink not much

A bow stringer for sure. How far are you goint to take this? Are you going to build your own arrows ? That can up the tools inventory quite a bit. Are you goin gto build your own bows? That will add even more. It's all fun. For trad keep it simple, (for me) but building arrows is a blast.

Get a 3 Rivers catalogue to start shopping.

I dont typically carry one, but a stringer is a good thing to have, more so for recurve guys...longbows I prefer the push pull method, works like a champ. I dont shoot recurves anymore, just like the feel of a long longbow.

I dont use brass nocks opting to tie on with number 4 nylon. A cig ligther to burn the tag ends melting them back into the nock is all you need, no glue nothing. Leave tags 1/4" or so long and gettm burning, then swipe them back into the knot when the tags are about all burned down into a ball.

I do have a bow square I use to check my BH. Have thought about a cresting stripe once I get a bow tuned in but never do. I do carry it on hunts, but shouldnt. it doesn't weigh MUCH but neither does most of the rest of the garb in my pack.

Couple spare strings.

For building flemish strings,

You'll need a string board. A video is a good start (www.recurves.com) has a great vid, plus Chad's a helluva guy to do buiz with. I prefer one of the binder clips instead of a paper clip, works much gooder. Some wax. A stretching jig is a good thing to have but not needed. It helps a ton getting the initial stretch out. Mine is a home made jobby works great. And a sharp razor blade.

Building bows.

You'll need....

A form
    form kit from binghams with the air hose, air pump and form brackets
    a hot box or heat strips (hot box is cheaper, strips are nicer)
    a bandsaw (or coping style saw if you're good, not realistic)
    belt sander (Table top with disc attachment is a great tool)
    chainsaw files for nocks
    spindle sander is great for shaping grip and sitewindow
    strip sander or files for shaping shelf
    (you can do a lot of the shaping by hand with files if you like).
    Laminations (Binghams, old master crafters)
    riser wood
    take down kits if you prefer

The rigid spindle/belt combo is a sweet tool if you're looking for a sanding jig...would work great for bows. (also is a good tool for splicing lams). I bought mine for building the canoe and splicing strips, finding out the rest of the great uses it has!

Serious dust collection, face mask, etc. Fiberglass is no joke! Lots of great bowyers had to stop due to this hazard. Also realize the health hazards involved with some of the fancier woods.

If you're going to make lams, you'll need some form of thickness sander. They aint cheap! Though you can make one fairly easy out of a drill press and spindle sander, it's not quite as consistent as a thickeness sander will be.

Micrometer for checking lams thickness's. Dial indicator for doing lams on home made jigs.

I know I'm missing something......It's not a huge undertaking, sounds more complex then it is. You'll need SOME stuff but can make do with many other tools or without SOME.

ps

tradgang.com has a good bowyers forum, with lots of the jigs mentioned home brew style.

the bowyers jouranl is another great site for bow builders.

Also google,
    pirates of archery, lots of great build alongs. LOOOOTS of good build alongs for bows!!!!

and outdoor to the core, another of the great bow builder sites. Lots has been lost on this site though.

The answer to your question really depends on how far you want to get into bowyering George. Tradbow has a good list for laminated wood and glass bows but that is just one option. You can go bare bones and make a self bow or board bow with a pocket knife, all wood laminated bows require more tools and jigs but less than glass bows. Start small and work up to the more complex stuff is what I usually recommend. Bowyering can be very frustrating and isn't for every archer.

At a minimum recurve shooters should have, nock pliers, bow square and a stringer.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick, learn to tie your nocks!!!

Don't care for tied nocks or being ordered to do things.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

George,
    The only bow tools I carry in the field are: one extra bow string already set up with proper nock placement and silencers, a leatherman, broadhead file, a role of unwaxed dental floss, and the most important "tube of super glue". Measure your best hitchhiker thumb/fist from the handle to your string when your brace height is optimum. Remember where the string hits your thumb and you won't need a square in the field. Always use a stringer for recurves.

For building bows Tradbow about covered the fiberglass bows. You can make a selfbow with a, hatchet, draw knife, wood rasp, cabinet scraper, chainsaw file for nocks, and sandpaper. Or you just need a friend that already has all the tools and by the coffee .

Thanks guys,

Good stuff here. I just purchased a home and now have space in a garage to play with projects. Planning on starting slow with a self bow or stick bow. I have only been shooting for about a year when I found a low cost recurve. Won't have the time to hunt other than winter rabbits but love to shoot and watch the arrow fly. Wanting to build a 35-40 lb bow for the bunnies and maybe get my wife into shooting. She is not strong enough to pull much so wheels might be for her but if I can get her shooting we can do this together.

Where can a guy get the material for building strings??

Won't be building arrows or putting them together just yet but see that coming soon.

George

Thumbs up

George;
    Go to www.tradgang.com to find ANY information you are looking for. There is a wealth of knowladge there that will be given without making you feel dumb and they are glad to give it and help you learn or find anything you want trad bow wise. There are sponsors advertized there too that will have what ever you want. You will make alot of new friends and learn a bunch in the process. They have classified ads too for all sorts of stuff, bows, camp gear, optics clothing, etc.

For your wife, find a bow in the 25 to 35 lb range. Starting out light makes for more fun , better form (for both of you) nad, it'll be a hoot to share your fun with your wife. Check out "Masters of the Bare Bow" DVDs for learning form and shooting well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well since i shoot a wheeled bow... my tool box has all the basics..

jack

Lug wrench

pliers

floss

etc etc
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default LOL

Vince, is that a V8 or a straight 6 you are shooting, and what size tires does it have??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Vince, is that a V8 or a straight 6 you are shooting, and what size tires does it have??
    Single cam FOB-4

has the all terrain brush buster wheels and tires
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

George

Tracy started with a 25 pound target bow, she has since worked up to a 45 pound bow and is looking forward to hunting this fall.
    BHA Member

ordered...lmao, I kept it short and sweet no point in posting page for a quick note, wasnt ment personal!....maybe you should trying tying your nocks on, you might like it...maybe not, who knows, though I'm sure you have already.

Bass nocks tore the snot out of a couple of my bows. Tried going to dental floss....stuff just fell apart, learned tying on number 4 nylon and it works like a champ. No tool, easy to adjust, and in a backpack hunt a 6" piece of string is much lighter then a nock pliers, you'll already have a way to make fire.

Sorry Dan it has been a horrible week.....I have been barking at everyone! Haven't bitten anybody yet, but it's only Thursday!
    BHA Member

lol no worries man....I can always get a shot if you bite to hard haha! cheer up....springs right around the corner!

Took the gal and her boy out yesterday fishn and riding snowmachines, he nabbed 14 trout...not bad for a 6 yr old. (all released of course)

I almost bought that marshmellow bow you posted awhile back. Thinking of waiting for spring for that one so he can make a mess OUTSIDE

You can buy very fast bow string on a french web site www.poupees-tressees.com

very good quality and high speed arrow

This discussion is great and brings up an thought about what you take in field and what you have in the shop.

In the field trad or wheel:

In the shop:

George

I guess you're asking what we shoot in the woods and what we shoot in the shop? I shoot trad all the way. My first bow was a compound, heck at the time I didnt even know what a recurve was! A year later I had made the switch and never looked back. Just love shooting sticks and strings for no other reason then it's my passion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast