Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou in the summer?

Default Caribou in the summer?

My husband and I are new to hunting and we were wondering if there are any places to hunt caribou in the summer? Or if there are places to hunt caribou that you don't have to fly into? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Bobbi

A lot of caribou seasons open in August which is close enough to "summer" to count. Even if it snows it won't last more than a couple of days.

There are many places along the Dalton, Steese, or Denali that you can hunt caribou in, but you need to review the rules since a lot of them have drawings and might not have over the counter harvest tickets.

The best thing to do is to pick up a copy of the regulations and start reading.

Ok great! I really appreciate it.

Do either of you bowhunt? If not, you might want to consider getting into it. The caribou season on the Dalton Highway is open in late summer, but it is bowhunting only within the first five miles of the road.

Exclamation did u say "any bug hunting in summer?"

summer= boo and bugs and soggey tundra.....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Buzzzzzz.....ouch

I agree with atvalaska.

While I really do enjoy caribou hunting on the tundra.....I also really, really do not enjoy clouds of buzzing and biting tundra bugs and flies....therefore, I recommend 'bou hunting in late Aug or early Sept when the bug population tames down.
    If you hunt caribou in early Aug...hope and then pray for strong winds. And keep the deet off your satilite phone, sun glasses, gun stock, GPS, anything plastic....and your lips.

really, really, really...dennis

I avoid it because of the bugs and the difficulty of keeping meat from spoiling.

We are both really new to hunting. My husand has a friend that works part time at Bowtech and he hooked him up with a compound bow. He would really like to go hunting with it someday. I am looking to hunt with a rifle. I went to Sportsmens Warehouse yesterday and the employee said that a 7mm would be a good rifle for me to hunt with. He suggested a Savage 7mm with a Bushnell scope. It was a package deal. Does anyone know aythng about this gun or if a 7mm would be a good choice? We will be going hunting with a friend of the family who is an experienced hunter but it is always good to get advice from others.
    Thanks!

A 7 mm is ok, but you would probably be better suited with a 308 of 30-06. Jim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

7mm is fine widly used for Bou and moose, learn how to shoot it and where to put it.

though the 308, 30.06 mentioned below do have less recoil if your small in stature. my wife shoots my 7mm and 300 win mag just fine @5'8"
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you are in Anchorage and want to try a couple different calibers to judge recoil, let me know, to include 7mm rem mag, .308 and 7mm-08. I use the 7mm mag a lot and my daughter uses the 7mm-08. We can go to Rabbit Creek. What is your husband going to use? Have him practice with the bow then take the F&G certification for a bowhunter and it opens up more possibilities. The class room can be taken on line then you just need to go do the proficiency part.

How does the online course rate to the actual DF&G course? I am going to be taking classes, like the Womens Hunter Ed class and also the Becoming an Outdoors Woman workshop. I really appreciate the offer. I will see what my family friend has and see if he has a 7mm. I don't want to shoot a gun that is going to take my shoulder off.

Default homework

glad to see that your doing your homework.... caribou hunting is FANTASTIC... that is my passion. the season opens up on the haul road on July 1. however everything mentioned above is correct.. very buggy, bad hides, tuff tundra (its never easy actually), and its bow only within the 5 miles of the haul road... if your thinkg about walking 5 miles in re-think that idea.... search the forum for threads talking about that little stroll I've lived and hunted bou above the arctic circle up here for about 16 years now....

I also teach (volunteer) with ADF&G hunters ed.... find a class and enroll... they are terrific for new hunters. if you are new to hunting and certain weapons take the full day classes. the online classes are great for folks who are already seasoned and just need the card for certain hunts or permit applications.

the 7mm is a good caliber and widely used up here for most game (except large brownies). there are LOTS of good calibers... continue your homework on that and dont just rely on the sportsmens warehouse sales guy... you will want to narrow down what species and what types of hunts you'll be doing most in the first couple of years... a rifle for kodiak brownbear will be vastly different than one for fall sheep in Tok.

feel free to PM me or drop me an email if you want anymore info on the hunters ed or caribou hunting.

greg
    alaskagoulds@gmail.com

7mm savage is great gun, im not a big gun buff, but i took a small bull moose this last fall, had the gun sighted in for right at around 1 in. high at 150 yds and the bullet dropped very little, if at all, at 375 yds...i am continually impressed with it

Default If you haven't purchased a rifle yet...

... you may want to consider a .270. Surprised nobody has mentioned it. It is a flat shooter, easy on recoil, and doesn't ruin meat. True, it can't realistically double as a brown bear gun (blackies maybe), but it has been used for moose for decades. Other than that, a .30.06 is a hard rifle to beat for its universality.

There is also much to be said for differing bullets for various calibers. For instance, a .30.06 can shoot anywhere from 150-220 grain bullets, making it versatile for caribou to moose. And those bullets may do various things on impact; FMJs go on through, others mushroom and cause damage. Do your homework and you'll understand better. There are some real bullet gurus on the shooting forum who eat, drink, and breath that stuff. I have only a rudimentary knowledge, but it has allowed me to shoot my share of caribou, and moose (sometimes while others were still back at the range testing out various loads).

I would recomend a .280 over a 270. It will shoot a wider range a bullets.

Default Menzel82

I sent you an email

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... you may want to consider a .270. Surprised nobody has mentioned it. It is a flat shooter, easy on recoil, and doesn't ruin meat. True, it can't realistically double as a brown bear gun (blackies maybe), but it has been used for moose for decades. Other than that, a .30.06 is a hard rifle to beat for its universality.
    not to get off topic but: Sayak my new fishin ' partner' is going to be a remington 760 pump .270 with a 10 rd mag. Its all i got, so im just gonna have to make it work for that surprise brown bear encounter

Release Lake Trout

Default Bears have been taken with them

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    not to get off topic but: Sayak my new fishin ' partner' is going to be a remington 760 pump .270 with a 10 rd mag. Its all i got, so im just gonna have to make it work for that surprise brown bear encounter
    May you never need it for Mr. Bruin.

Not a big Alaskan hunter, but I am a really frugal fellow. I would stick to the 30 cal stuff (30-06 and 300 Win Mag). If you get a 300 Win Mag you can reload to soften the kick if need be. I would also price the ammo and reloading supplies. Sometimes there is a significant price break for certain calibers.

BTW - I don't really like Savage. I had a 110E 7MM in NM that was a total POS. Think Ruger M77.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast