Thread: Coyotes in Afghanistan

Default Coyotes in Afghanistan

While sitting on guard out here in the middle of nowhere I saw a dog out by the wire. I glassed it with my ACOG, and it was a coyote. I called it up, and then smoked it. It was about 300 meters out, and it was dark when I got off guard so I couldn't go out to get him. I'll go out tomorrow to see if it's still there and hopefully not all chewed up. It should just be a block of ice. If it's in good shape, I'll post some picks on this thread. Today just made me want to get back to AK, or TN that much more......
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-09-2010 at 10:01.

I see the occasional jackal over here unfortunately no ability to put the hurt on them though the base does trap and euthenize them regularly. Be nice to sit back near the wire somewhere and call one in. In the meantime I am going to see if I can check out one of the loaner pellet guns and see what I can do to deplete the rock dove population around here!

they were all over Iraq my buddy had a e called sent to him and we shot them from the berm around where we lived helped pass the time well.

Well, the wind picked up pretty bad last night and covered the tracks/dog with snow. I'm sure I'll find it when something starts digging it up for a snack. I feel kinda bad just leaving him out there, but I guess I don't have a choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Well, the wind picked up pretty bad last night and covered the tracks/dog with snow. I'm sure I'll find it when something starts digging it up for a snack. I feel kinda bad just leaving him out there, but I guess I don't have a choice now.
    Just an FYI, your coyote is probably a "Golden Jackal"

did it look like this?

Be cool to see a jackal Kevlar cover complete with the face on the front and tail in the back!

That looks a lot like it. The one I shot had a thicker winter coat, but very, very similar. I actually heard somewhere that at one time there were lions in Afghanistan.

As far as the ACH cover goes: I don't think our 1st Sgt or CO would care much. They'd probably just laugh. With my luck though, as soon as I got it done, and on our CSM would be on a bird out here for some stupid reason, and he would have a coronary. It would be cool though. The dog is still out there frozen. If I had some borax I'd skin him up and dry him out, but we don't even have much salt out here right now.....

Like LuJon said that's definitely a golden jackal. Coyotes are restricted to the New World and golden jackals are their Old World equivalent. I saw a few golden jackals in Tanzania about ten years ago and they look almost identical to coyotes. Post up some pics if you can.

Everyone here thought they were cayotes. They look just like em, and even sound just like them. They're all over the place. My buddy got a couple last night in the trash pit....

Default not about Coyotes or Jackles but....

I sure do appreciate the sacrifices you guys are making on my behalf my family's security. It's not easy to put your life on hold back in the real world and go sit on a cold wind swept post in that place you're at.

Not said often enough but...."Thank you"
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Default sthrcave

Hey Man,

Thought your ***** would be on a big bird by now. We've been processing your Brothers as they come in. Come and see me when you get in. See ya soon! Stay safe...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Nice shot. Keep up the good work!

All the best from my family,
    Jamie

Where are you from in Tennessee?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Nice shot. Keep up the good work!

All the best from my family,
    Jamie

Where are you from in Tennessee?
    I grew up north of Nashville in Hendersonville/Portland.
    Did you live near there?

I was in Memphis for a while and have some family in Murfreesboro. I used to play in Tennessee a bit before moving to Alaska. The country has a different view than you currently have.

Keep up the good work over there. You'll be home in due time.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    I sure do appreciate the sacrifices you guys are making on my behalf my family's security. It's not easy to put your life on hold back in the real world and go sit on a cold wind swept post in that place you're at.

Not said often enough but...."Thank you"
    Me too. You guys are doing great stuff over there. I'm glad you can get an occasional shot at some four legged game. How's the fishin'?