Thread: AR15 for AK!!

Default AR15 for AK!!

Before I start, I am not a huge fan of the AR platform, do not own one. And certainly not a fan of it for hunting, especially in 223.
    However, an AR in .50 beowolf makes a very interesting concept. Cannot get details whether the upper is standard AR gas operated or piston. If piston then it makes the reliability much better.
    An interesting concept - compact and fairly light.
    Thoughts

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=316928

http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=14

If you take a look in the shooting forum there are several threads on the .458 SOCOM for Alaska. The threads also talk about the Beowulf and the Bushmaster.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

First off how can you not be a fan of the AR15 for ANY purpose. The 223 is a great round and the AR is a great package especially for fur bearers and with the right load can do well on deer sized game. The 6.8spc is fine for up to caribou/black bear sized game and I would shoot a moose with it if the opportunity presented and it is what I had in my hand at the time.
    I listen to the arguments on the piston vs gas operated and honestly can't justify the added expense for more "reliability" the gas AR is very reliable, just take proper care of it.

The Beowolf shoots pistol boolits which makes me pass on it. I did plenty of research and when I decide to "pull the trigger" on a thumper AR it will be the 458 SOCOM. It works with regular AR mags and uses projectiles designed to be shot at rifle speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I listen to the arguments on the piston vs gas operated and honestly can't justify the added expense for more "reliability" the gas AR is very reliable, just take proper care of it.
    I see this same argument time and time again on the internet and in magazines and wonder if the piston is so much more reliable then why has COLT not gone with it and why is the US military still using gas systems?

From my perspective the gas impingement system is very reliable and the only advantages I see in going gas piston is less clean up after shooting and the WOW factor. I could care less about the clean up as I seldom do a full on cleaning on my personal AR. For those of you that scoff at my perspective I have been shotting AR's on a regular basis for the past 13 years.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

1st: Good luck finding ammo or reloading materials in AK for .50 Beowolf.
    I would go with a .458 or a .450 Bushmaster. The Bushmaster actually uses projectiles designed to be fired with sabots out of muzzleloaders. I have heard very good things about this round. The thread on the .458 is very informative. It might change your opinion.

2nd: Gas piston=reliability? I have fired a Colt M4 in combat and can tell you that the gas system works just fine. The only advantage I can say you would get from a piston system is ease of cleaning. Especially if you for some reason shoot with a suppressor. A suppressed Colt M4 will get VERY nasty after just one mag. through it. I have also heard that a piston system works better on SBR's, though I don't have proof to back it up.

What I am trying to say is each to his own. Keep in mind that there are thousands of soldiers carrying gas impingement operated M4's. I actually smoked a cayote at 300 meters with mine earlier today (I'm in the middle of nowhere Afghannystan). I shot it with standard NATO ball ammo using an ACOG. I hit it in the chest, it took a dozen steps, and dropped.

If someone else can git'R done with a Bow and Arrow, If the Natives have over the last 60 years harvested many Polar and Brown Bears with .222 Remington, I am sure there is nothing in this state that I can't harvest with AR-15 in 6.8 SPC. Yes, including a 19 foot/3,000 pound saber'tooth Brown Bear......

Default well, i guess...

if you had more money than you knew what to do with....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I did not knock the AR, far from it, just I have a personal preference for gas piston v gas impinged - just my experience and background. Also my early career was with 7.62x51mm, never got really used to lack of bite from a 5.56, although capacity and less weight was a great advantage.
    I have used M16 A1 and 2 and M4 on many occassions, without a failure. Admittedly the only failings of the AR platform are those I have read/researched and got from friends deployed in harsh environments and not personal. But also that the USMC has chosen the HK (can't remember designation) gas-piston carbine to replace SAW - reliability in harsh environments being a key decider.
    Anyway we don't need a piston debate. Your opinions on AR for AK are greatly appreciated and I did not realise how much it was used and versatility for AK hunting. Best I get and read more threads to justify a new toy to the wife
    I had not seen the SOCOM threads, TY, I will take a look at them

Ar's are pretty simple, clean em, lube em, shoot em. My only concern would be too much of the wrong lube in extreme low temps. .223 with proper bullets is good medicine for coyotes, wolves, deer and caribou.

I've debated a 458 upper, but am really more of a bolt gun fan for the large bores.

Default Not a fan for hunting??????????????????????

The AR is a fine rifle for hunting. With the proper round for the game you are hunting it serves its purpose very well. Jim Zumbo thought the same thing about its use in hunting and a countries worth of hunters disagreed.
    As it was already said the 50 beowolf ammo is hard to find here. I would stick with 450 or 458. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Before I start, I am not a huge fan of the AR platform, do not own one. And certainly not a fan of it for hunting, especially in 223.
    However, an AR in .50 beowolf makes a very interesting concept. Cannot get details whether the upper is standard AR gas operated or piston. If piston then it makes the reliability much better.
    An interesting concept - compact and fairly light.
    Thoughts

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=316928

http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=14

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I see this same argument time and time again on the internet and in magazines and wonder if the piston is so much more reliable then why has COLT not gone with it and why is the US military still using gas systems?

From my perspective the gas impingement system is very reliable and the only advantages I see in going gas piston is less clean up after shooting and the WOW factor. I could care less about the clean up as I seldom do a full on cleaning on my personal AR. For those of you that scoff at my perspective I have been shotting AR's on a regular basis for the past 13 years.
    It isn't a simple thing for the military just to switch to a different rifle. The military has been on the search for an AR replacement for years. Most of the original problems reported with the AR were because the military changed the design and powder against Eugene Stoner's advice. Stoner designed the AR from bottom up, including the bullet and powder to be used. That is part of the problem why the AR gets a bad rep sometimes. As for piston or gas, piston operated is much cleaner and cooler. Neither really matter too much if your on a hunt, hopefully you won't be shooting enough for it to matter. For military purposes it's a different story. We shoot a lot more bullets and a lot faster. They get hot and dirty. Anyone who says different is full of it. Hot gas and powder is dumped directly into the upper so it is obviously going to get hot and dirty. I'm not bashing the AR at all, I own a few of them. I'm just saying there are better designs out there for different purposes. If your using it for hunting there is nothing wrong with gas impingement, if your dumping lead down range then piston would be cleaner and cooler.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Just thanks

To all those presently serving our great country and those who have served, Thanks guys and girls.