Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera And Lenses Advice Please

Question Camera And Lenses Advice Please

I really want to get back into photography and would love to buy a decent camera, I'm looking at maybe the cannon EOS 50d SLR and was wondering about what lenses would I need to buy.

Any help or advice would be great.

veterinary hospital

There is some very good information on lenses in the February issue of "POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY". I certainly learned a lot. It has several articles on picking and choosing lenses for different applications. I am looking to move up to a DSLR and will be keeping these articles for future reference.

For fast, excellent advice, check out Ken Rockwell...both Canon and Nikon

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/index.htm
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

While the 50D is a nice camera, it should be replaced with a new model (same series) this year. When that happens its price will drop nearly by half. Instead of a 50D, I would consider a 7D, or even the brand new and a lot cheaper T2. However, the 7D is a lot nicer camera than both the 50D and the new T2.

For lenses all depends on what you want to photograph. For example, I am into landscapes, the occasional moon shots, wildlife from moose to birds, party/wedding shots of friends and family, pets (dogs, cats, etc.), wife and kids, and so forth. This is my lens lineup (I use a Canon 40D):

-Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8: people, pets, party, etc. (it replaces the Canon kit lens).

-Tokina 12-24mm f/4: for landscapes, cityscapes, and so forth.

-Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM: macro photography and closeups of flowers and such, some landscapes, people, things, and pets at a a distance, or moose in my backyard.

-Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM: moose and other large game a little farther out, ducks and other birds close-by, birds on fly close-by, close-ups of flowers and plants with the aid of an extension tube, etc.

-Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM for wildlife and birds farther out.

Something else I forgot to mention: if you are more into high quality movie clips than still photographs, then the T2 would be as good as the 7D.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

Ray you have a nice set up!

When it comes to what to get for photography set up there are 2 question: 1st What do you want to take photos of? 2nd How much are you willing to spend?

Also keep in mind it is better to have great high quality lenses and a "OK" body than it is to have a high quality fast body and so-so kit lenses.

Ray did a great job showing his set up and describing the different lens!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

I made a very profitable - successfull career - from learning how to use just one lens !!

It is called a "normal' Lens !!

First learn how to use ONE LENS - then move on up - IF YOU HAVE THAT NEED. Not the desire - but the need !!

I make outrageous money with my images !! for many decades !!

This is just my personal one sided - lop sided opinon -= which is DIFFERENT from anything you will ever hear people (successful ) CLAIM !!

What do you want to learn how to 'Master' ??

Ansel Adams said : All I can do in my writing is to stimulate a certain amount of thought, clarify some technical facts and date my work. But when I preach sharpness, brilliancy, scale, etc., I am just mouthing words, because no words can really describe those terms and qualities it takes the actual print to say, "here it is." - Ansel Adams

Claude Adams said: Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter. - Claude Adams

What Majik has said about learning how to use one lens is true. In fact, it's the same with the camera's body, too. New cameras offer so many features nowadays that more than likely one never uses it to its full potential.

Your choice, Nikon or Cannon body. Then if you want to photograph wildlife buy their 70-200 with matched 1.4 and 2X extenders, add a wide angle variable for landscapes and this will take care of 99% of your needs.

But DO NOT forget a good tripod.

Good Luck!
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Your choice, Nikon or Cannon body.
    Good Luck!
    I am a total failure !!! I do not use Nikon or Cannon Bodies.

Well er um I did - but I much prefer medium format. It can do something 35 mm cannot ever achieve !!

IN the same manner - Medium format cannot approach or achieve what LARGE FORMAT can present .

WHAT DO YOU NEED ???

for 85 bux you can get a camera (10 mega pixel) that is capable of creating stunning 17 x 25" photographs.

TEXTURED - DETAIL - can you see it ?? Then that is all you need to produce stunning photographs !!

SECRET HINT: only cannon or nikon can produce these type images.

That is called "Puffery" A statement based entirely on opinion; not based on actual FACTS

I am using images from 'toy' Point & Shoot Cameras costing less than 180 bux.

If you cannot create a stunning photograph with a simple point & shoot type camera; What makes you think getting a camera with hundreds more variables will make a difference ??

FIRST LEARN how to create - & make $$ from your images. THEN LET THE PUBLIC purchase your new equipment !!

My very first camera in October OF 69 was a Yashica 35mm range finder - That camera allowed me upgrade to a BESLER TOPCON the only camera (at that time) that the U.S. Navy used.

From 1970 - 73 I used a Besler Topcon with a 55mm lens, that is all I had, I was able to purchase a ton of new equipment with that camera. ($30k in darkroom equipment with out spending one cent of my money. Then in 1973 I had acquired enough money to purchase a Mamiya RB67 with two backs (120 / 220 ) and a 360 mm telephoto.

Onward & upwards from there - non stop far above the clouds of glory in this business !!

1973 I was out of work (as an electrician for 4 years) there was no construction work in Boston. (not enough work to support 5,000 IBEW union hands).

I placed a simple add in the newspaper . - Learn how to print color enlargements. $200 bux for an 8 week course.

INSTANTLY I had 25 students. 5k every 8 weeks !! for many years !!

It has nothing to do with the brand OF CAMERA your using but it has everything to do with your VISION !! YOUR EYES - YOUR IMAGINATION !!

What do you want to Learn ? - TODAY ??

YOUR (SUCCESSFULL journey) in the amazing world of photography requires - time - to absorb - INFORMATION.

NO ONE can just step from the bottom step to the highest level(s) - it takes time to climb each step !!

Here is one SIMPLE way to speed up that process - LEARN FROM THE BEST THERE EVER WAS. - "Sit @ his feet - & listen !!

Yeah, I agree 100% with Majik.

Canon or Nikon is the only way to go

I went with the Canon 40D and have added many lenses since. As long as you buy a Canon or Nikon camera, you will maximize your options on lenses as they offer by far the most extensive line up. The lenses are the biggest expense, take time figuring out what you need. Nodody can tell you, sorry. Just depends on your interest and budget. Get a basic digital photography book, read the photo mags, read here and also at Photo.net and Photocamel.com. Educate yourself, develop an opinion, then go out and buy a DSLR and a lens or two. Add lenses as you find the need. Don't be in a rush to spend your hard earned money. Read up for a few weeks and go get what you need.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you buy that 50D you were talking about, or some other small format Canon....

Canon's EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 USM IS is really hard to beat as a general purpose lens. It covers the most used range of focal lengths that work well with these cameras. If you decide on a larger full frame camera, like the 5D(II) or similar, then Canon's EF 24-70 f/2.8L is probably the best all around fit, but some would prefer the EF 24-105 f/4L. There are a lot of less expensive third party options, and a few of them are very good, but I doubt any are better, nor will likely hold their resale value as well. If those are too expensive for you Tamron makes some very good similar lenses for about half the cost.

The above suggestion to buy Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L is good, and for some the f/4 version is even better due to it's lighter weight and lower cost. Both of these can be had in plain vanilla or with Image Stabilization. Get the IS if you can afford it. It adds cost, but is always worth it in my opinion. A less expensive option is Canon's EF 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 USM IS. Don't bother with any of the older designed EF 75-300's. Their image quality is not nearly up to the caliber of modern digital cameras.

For a wide zoom I would still opt for Canon's EF-S 10-22. There are some good alternatives from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma, but for me the Canon is a better choice for all around use. If you decide on that full frame Canon body instead of a digital Rebel or 40D/50D/7D, then none of the EF-S lenses will work, so a good wide choice would be either the EF 17-40 f/4L or 16-35 f/2.8L.

I would also recommend at least one fast prime (non-zoom) lens. Canon's little 50mm f/1.8 works well, and is usually less than $100. Any of the Canon prime lenses quite good, and some are truly stellar. All cost more than the "nifty fifty."

Those would be my pics for a fairly complete system. But if you find you need longer lenses for distant wildlife of birds, Canon makes plenty of expensive choices.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Canon or Nikon is the only way to go
    Well lets dust off the 'puffery' here and put everything into proper perspective.

Nikon (flagship model) = 8,000 (body only) = 24.1 mega pixel

Cannon (flagship model) = 7,000 (body only) = 21 mega pixel

SONY A900 = 2,700 (BODY ONLY) = 24.6 MEGAPIXEL

Am I the only one that can see this lop sided CONSPIRACY ???

LOOK: Nikon don't give a crap about YOU !! ALL THEY WANT IS MORE MONEY !!

Just look at the difference in COST !!!

Nikon's new model use SONY'S IMAGE SENSOR THEY WANT - twice as much money for (what?) five thousand dollars difference !!!!

Guess how much difference your going to see.. .. when each camera creates the exact same image ! You will not see (with your eyes) 25 cents worth; never mind; $5,000 dollars difference.

WAKE UP !!!!

Next point I want to smash is this.. Cannon has the most extensive line of lenses available.

Ansel Adams said: (emphasis mine) you can only use one pair of your eyes at a time !!

(chuckle).. IN the world of PROFESSIONAL photography -

there is not a 35 mm camera ever made that can match the results of a HASSLEBLAD 0r Mamiya RB 67

My advice for a person getting back into Photography - Invest $500 bux and purchase the CAMERA OF THE YEAR !!

PANASONIC FZ 50 one short lens made by Leica 35mm - 420 mm !!

Now you have a professional tool that can meet all your needs until YOU NEED to upgrade !!

As far as cost comparisons go, here's another one with the typical professional / advanced amateur lens package. I also wouldn't use the top of the line camera body models. I would pick bodies that are more closely related: Canon 5DII, Nikon D700, and Sony A900.

CANON - 5DII ----2500
    16-35 f/2.8L -----1500
    24-70 f/2.8L -----1280
    70-200 f/2.8L IS -1800 = $7080 total

NIKON - D700 ----2400
    17-35 f/2.8 ------1625
    24-70 f/2.8G -----1740
    70-200 f/2.8G VR -1950 = $7715 total

SONY - A900 -----2700
    16-35 f/2.8 ZA ---1900
    24-70 f/2.8 ------1600
    70-200 f/2.8 G ---1800 = $8000 total

One could make arguments in favor of any of these, and the camera bodies have plenty of dissimilarities, but they are all very good cameras with plenty of resolution for just about anything. Canon lenses are typically better priced. There are exceptions though.

Sony has fewer lenses available, but as long as they have what you want that shouldn't matter to you. --- At least until you find you really do want one of the others.

But I suspect the original poster was looking for lower priced options.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    As far as cost comparisons go, here's another one with the typical professional / advanced amateur lens package. I also wouldn't use the top of the line camera body models. I would pick bodies that are more closely related: Canon 5DII, Nikon D700, and Sony A900.

CANON - 5DII ----2500
    16-35 f/2.8L -----1500
    24-70 f/2.8L -----1280
    70-200 f/2.8L IS -1800 = $7080 total

NIKON - D700 ----2400
    17-35 f/2.8 ------1625
    24-70 f/2.8G -----1740
    70-200 f/2.8G VR -1950 = $7715 total

SONY - A900 -----2700
    16-35 f/2.8 ZA ---1900
    24-70 f/2.8 ------1600
    70-200 f/2.8 G ---1800 = $8000 total

One could make arguments in favor of any of these, and the camera bodies have plenty of dissimilarities, but they are all very good cameras with plenty of resolution for just about anything. Canon lenses are typically better priced. There are exceptions though.

Sony has fewer lenses available, but as long as they have what you want that shouldn't matter to you. --- At least until you find you really do want one of the others.

But I suspect the original poster was looking for lower priced options.

THE CAMERA OF THE YEAR has everything anyone needs for 500 bux !!

What year was that Majik?

I really like Panasonic cameras, and especially their FZ line. But they seriously need to update the FZ50. I would like to see mechanical manual focus instead of manual focus by wire, and it needs a lens that starts at something wider than 35mm. I think their FZ28 & FZ35 start at 28mm, but they lack a lot of the controls of the FZ50. Also, good strides have been made in high ISO noise reduction since the introduction of the FZ50.

I suspect Panasonic didn't sell so many of the larger & upscale FZ50's, and that's why they haven't launched an update. Right now it's hard to find a FZ50 in really good condition. And of course the downfall of all small sensor cameras is the high ISO noise they suffer with. That's still the largest image quality justification for a DSLR in my mind.

2009 Popular Photography CAMERA OF THE YEAR

I was in Anchorage (in the hospital) recently- when I got out Wednesday the week before Valentines day.. I went into Stewarts Photo on 4th Ave.

There in the show case was a Panasonic FZ30 - the price 50 bux !! I grabbed it laughing laughing laughing all over that store..

How come so cheap ?? They had no charger for it.!!!

All I want to do is to use it to make STUNNING colorful images !!

Fifty Bux !! (chuckle) !!

Now that IS a deal! An FZ30 for $50 is amazing. I only wish I'd seen it first.

2009 you say. I'm surprised. The FZ50 was first announced July 19, 2006. It was ahead of it's time though. Here's Digital Photography Review's take on it: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

Yess indeed !!! 50 bux for a 9 mega pixel camera with 35mm - 420 mm zoom LEICA lens !!

Now that is how you enter this wonderful world of photography.. Purchase a camera (cheap) now go out and create ONE STUNNING IMAGE - then sell it. Now do it again and again - and let the public purchase your CANNON Nikon or sony - but if your SMART your going to save and INVEST in MEDIUM FORMAT !!

THEN YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS will beat the socks off ANY 35MM IMAGE !!

THE DIFFERENCE IS OVERWHELMING !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast